Butane or Propane (1 Viewer)

Aug 11, 2016
ipswich
Funster No
MH
Not sure
Exp
1 year
I have two 7 Kg butane gas bottles, one empty and one full that were supplied with the mh when I bought it last year. I am wondering whether I should exchange the empty one for a propane and then replace the second one when empty for propane as well, or stay with two butane. The only reason I ask is we will going away at the end of the month and I have heard if its too cold the butane could freeze. What are the costs of propane compared to butane and which is more practical. I do have regulators for both.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Propane has a lower boiling point than butane so it will continue to convert from a liquid to a gas even in very cold conditions, down to -45ºC, hence ideal for a motorhome as you can use it safely in all temperatures. When stored as a liquid in a tank, it exerts a greater pressure than Butane at the same temperature:)

Propane is most suitable for exterior storage and use. Its ability to operate in low temperatures makes it the most suitable. Propane is widely used as a fuel source across the world of motorhomers:)

Butane has the lower vapour pressure at equivalent temperatures and is more suitable for interior use or outside during the summer.

https://www.calor.co.uk/which-gas-bottle

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
My advice, change to propane.
Butane doesn't 'freeze' like water but it doesn't convert from liquid gas to gas vapour very well below around 4° or 5°
Propane will still 'gas' at lower temperatures than we get in Europe.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
The cost of propane is usually higher but actual cost will depend on the supplier ie Calor or Flogas etc. I think I paid £21 for 6kg propane last time.
You shouldn't have a problem exchanging 7kg butane for 6kg propane as thay are in the same group (as far as Calor are concerned).
I now prefer to use propane all year.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
The cost of propane is usually higher but actual cost will depend on the supplier ie Calor or Flogas etc. I think I paid £21 for 6kg propane last time.
You shouldn't have a problem exchanging 7kg butane for 6kg propane as thay are in the same group (as far as Calor are concerned).
I now prefer to use propane all year.

Ouch!
I hadn't realised how expensive it was back in the UK.
Down here in Spain it really is very cheap then........an 11kgs bottle of propane is currently about €11.80....so about £10.50.

(The 12.5kgs bottle of butane...much more widely used across Spain than propane as temps here almost never fall to the point where it won't boil off....is presently around €13.50)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JFD

Apr 9, 2015
Crawley Down, West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Aventura G730
Exp
since 2014!
We used to rely on a large Butane cylinder, with a smaller propane one as backup, which was fine for all weather travelling - if it's really cold, we just switched to the backup, and back when it warmed up. Then we got fed up with lugging 15kg butane cylinders, and fitted a Gas-it primary cylinder, so we use auto gas, which is mainly propane in the winter, and less so in summer. Gassed off well at minus 5 the past weekend!!

Simple fitting, same regulator/switchover, cheaper gas. What's not to like??

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back