Butane And Propane

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by gazzeroo, May 29, 2015.

1. gazzeroo

gazzeroo Funster

Ratings:
    +6
    Could someone offer advise please, I have 2 bottles of 6kg propane in my MH and would like to have 1 propane and 1 butane ( because as I understand it Butane burns hotter, therefore heats quicker). Would it be safe to to have one bottle of each on a tee, obviously with the appropriate regulators, or would the slight mixing of the gases when I change over bottles be a problem. I always I really appreciate your answers
    regards
    Gary

2. DBK

DBK Funster

Ratings:
    +22,081
    Don't bother, there is a negligible difference in flame temperature - a few degrees and though butane has more energy per kilogram you won't notice any difference and if it is a bit chilly then propane will aways out perform butane.

• Like it Like it x 1
  3. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Ratings:
    +13,561
    Stick with propane, the only time you might want the extra heat the butane won't work anyway, in practice you won't notice the difference.
    Butane stops gassing off at 0 deg, but pressure gets to low to be any use way above that, in practice you start to notice at about 6-7 deg that nothing is working properly.
    Propane stops gassing at -40 deg.

4. vwalan

vwalan Funster

Ratings:
    +5,377
    doing what you said you wont notice the difference with mixing the gas . actually butane regulators and propane regulators overlap in the pressure bits .
    but as said you are probably better off sticking with propane .
    mind when i,m in spain or morocco i use butane . just because it was cheap and easier to get .
    if i should go anywhere really cold i can swap to the uk propane .
    over the years have had propane put in butane bottles , butane in propane bottles didnt really cause a problem . when in some countries you just have to have what ever gas they can get in your bottle .

• Like it Like it x 1
  5. gazzeroo

gazzeroo Funster

Ratings:
    +6
    Thank you all for that, I wont bother with that then||