Burstner water ingress warranty terms (1 Viewer)

Sep 14, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Hi everyone,

We are hoping to buy a second hand Burstner, possibly 2019 onwards price permitting. With MHs from 2019 onwards we've seen Burstner offer a 10 year water ingress warranty, subject to their terms, transferrable to a second owner with up to 7 years depending on the age of the MH - think that's right? I realise views differ on this, but for us we would want to have a valid water ingress warranty and will do what is necessary to maintain it.

We've seen on their website the terms are hab checks to be done annually within 30 days of purchase date at a Burstner approved dealer in order to maintain the warranty. I spoke to Camper UK to check the water ingress warranty terms and they said Burstner are really strict on this and there is no flexibility offered by them due to Covid delays, which seems a bit harsh but at least we knew.

I have since spoken to two separate dealers re 2019 models and with both of them the hab checks have not been done within the 30 days specified by Burstner. Dealer today (another main Burstner dealer) said Burstner have given a 6 month grace period for hab checks due to pandemic delays. That differs from what Camper UK advised re no leeway. The dealer today had a MH 6 months late with 1st habcheck, and 2nd one not done yet but they said they would do it and upload it with "corrected" dates for 2021. They said not to worry and they would look after us should we have a water ingress claim warranty claim down the line.

Being new to all this, it seems a minefield. Does anyone have experience with this - will many Burstner water ingress warranties be scuppered due to Covid delays in 2020 or is the reality that Burstner can be more flexible if you buy from a main dealer and go back to the same one with any issues?

Thank you
Mandy

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Camper UK have a decent reputation, we bought a new van from them a few years ago and they were happy just to do a damp check each year to maintain the warranty.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Yes,you’re right,it’s a minefield. Other than buying a van that’s been out in the rain for a month,and using your own damp meter,there’s not a lot you can do. Apart from buying a rapido :ROFLMAO: . You have to trust your dealer,and the firm you are using seem better than most,but most seem fairly useless.

May 12, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2017
My 'Burstner' Dealer, admittedly in France, has not been able to get a response from Burstner regarding a Warranty Claim for a manufacturing fault, Dealer reckons its' because I missed the First Anniversary Habitataion Inspection date due to being hospitalised at the time.

Don't trust what any Dealer tells you. He will subsequently put the blame on Burstner and sympathize with you whilst holding out his hand for your hard eaned money!

Robert

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
If you go with the dealer who says they will look after you what happens if they change hands or go bust also my experience is that dealers are really really friendly and helpful until they have your money!!!!
If the water ingress warranty is a deal breaker make sure the checks are spot on.

OP
OP
CarlandMandy
Sep 14, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
My 'Burstner' Dealer, admittedly in France, has not been able to get a response from Burstner regarding a Warranty Claim for a manufacturing fault, Dealer reckons its' because I missed the First Anniversary Habitataion Inspection date due to being hospitalised at the time.

Don't trust what any Dealer tells you. He will subsequently put the blame on Burstner and sympathize with you whilst holding out his hand for your hard eaned money!

Robert

If you go with the dealer who says they will look after you what happens if they change hands or go bust also my experience is that dealers are really really friendly and helpful until they have your money!!!!
If the water ingress warranty is a deal breaker make sure the checks are spot on.
Hi both - absolutely these are our concerns. Whenever I have asked the question about history from a dealer there is often a lot of vagueness. Some have offered to go and get the van details and have answered honestly re the history, but when it comes to how it might affect us going forwards, oh don't worry about that seems standard. I guess it is up to us to know what we want and what risk we will accept, keep a clear head and walk away from anything we are concerned about.

Also we are looking back to 17/18 models as well so that would remove the longer warranty issues as there wouldn't be one.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Hi both - absolutely these are our concerns. Whenever I have asked the question about history from a dealer there is often a lot of vagueness. Some have offered to go and get the van details and have answered honestly re the history, but when it comes to how it might affect us going forwards, oh don't worry about that seems standard. I guess it is up to us to know what we want and what risk we will accept, keep a clear head and walk away from anything we are concerned about.

Also we are looking back to 17/18 models as well so that would remove the longer warranty issues as there wouldn't be one.
If you're looking at older ones without the warranty and theres a newer one for not much more but the warranty is void why go for the older one? If you want the warranty I see nothing wrong with saying here's an offer dependant on the service history being fully up to date etc. If they accept the offer then they need to come up with the goods or the deals off. I can see why they are going to be reluctant to spend time coming up with the information on a casual query

May 12, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2017
"Also we are looking back to 17/18 models as well so that would remove the longer warranty issues as there wouldn't be one"

Word of Warning, be careful of Burstner vans' built between 2016 and 2018, mine is a 2016 and the Warranty Claim I refered to came to light, in my case, in September '20 - floating floor in kitchen area. There is a thread on this subject on the Forum which you should check - out; not every Burstner of that era is affected. Also, Burstner UK/Camper UK seem more understanding of the problems of Warranty!

Don't get me wrong, I am not knocking the product, just Burstner HO. We love our 'Bertie' and have no intention of getting rid of him.

Robert

OP
OP
CarlandMandy
Sep 14, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
If you're looking at older ones without the warranty and theres a newer one for not much more but the warranty is void why go for the older one? If you want the warranty I see nothing wrong with saying here's an offer dependant on the service history being fully up to date etc. If they accept the offer then they need to come up with the goods or the deals off. I can see why they are going to be reluctant to spend time coming up with the information on a casual query
Very true - you can see we have perhaps been tying ourselves in knots thinking about this stuff.

Re making an offer dependant on service history etc - I guess a couple of times we have seen a MH that looks fab from the pictures, it's a layout we know works for us from seeing a new version first hand, but as we ideally want that confidence that comes from a van with it's ingress warranty in tact, we have chosen to ask the dealer up front before driving the 2-3 hours to see it - I guess also avoiding taking up their time with the viewing and longer discussions had we not asked up front. The MH we nearly saw this weekend had had just one hab check from new in 2.5 years and had not had it's first Fiat service, so rightly or wrongly we took a view to not drive there and be tempted to love it on first sight with dealer promises of "we'll look after you" in our ears.

Partly it will come down to confidence in the dealer. For example if one comes up with Camper UK, we would go straight to see it as they have that close link with Burstner and we would have more confidence in buying off them.

I suppose also we are new to this and our perspective might change as we get more confidence.

OP
OP
CarlandMandy
Sep 14, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
"Also we are looking back to 17/18 models as well so that would remove the longer warranty issues as there wouldn't be one"

Word of Warning, be careful of Burstner vans' built between 2016 and 2018, mine is a 2016 and the Warranty Claim I refered to came to light, in my case, in September '20 - floating floor in kitchen area. There is a thread on this subject on the Forum which you should check - out; not every Burstner of that era is affected. Also, Burstner UK/Camper UK seem more understanding of the problems of Warranty!

Don't get me wrong, I am not knocking the product, just Burstner HO. We love our 'Bertie' and have no intention of getting rid of him.

Robert
Thank you Robert, I will look out for that, much appreciated.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Very true - you can see we have perhaps been tying ourselves in knots thinking about this stuff.

Re making an offer dependant on service history etc - I guess a couple of times we have seen a MH that looks fab from the pictures, it's a layout we know works for us from seeing a new version first hand, but as we ideally want that confidence that comes from a van with it's ingress warranty in tact, we have chosen to ask the dealer up front before driving the 2-3 hours to see it - I guess also avoiding taking up their time with the viewing and longer discussions had we not asked up front. The MH we nearly saw this weekend had had just one hab check from new in 2.5 years and had not had it's first Fiat service, so rightly or wrongly we took a view to not drive there and be tempted to love it on first sight with dealer promises of "we'll look after you" in our ears.

Partly it will come down to confidence in the dealer. For example if one comes up with Camper UK, we would go straight to see it as they have that close link with Burstner and we would have more confidence in buying off them.

I suppose also we are new to this and our perspective might change as we get more confidence.
Sounds like you're like me decide to buy something then there's all the iffs buts maybes etc. Then there's have we bought the right thing. We bought new still got it 7 years on!

Dec 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
Thank you Robert, I will look out for that, much appreciated.
Again, Camper UK did most of the rectification work for other UK dealers and are well versed in the issues. I don't have a Burstner but am aware that they have very good relations with the factory.

Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
Camping , caravanning, campervaning for 10 years
I was booking our warranty required damp check on our Burstner for next February and enquired about the issues with Covid to be told they, Burstner, had allowed a 3 month extension on the dates of checks

OP
OP
CarlandMandy
Sep 14, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
I was booking our warranty required damp check on our Burstner for next February and enquired about the issues with Covid to be told they, Burstner, had allowed a 3 month extension on the dates of checks
Thanks NiceandJay - out of interest was that mentioned by a dealer, and was it one of the main Burstner dealers or did you contact Burstner direct? Might indicate some flexibility behind the scenes.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015

You're right in that buying from a reputable dealership is so important. We're on our third motorhome... the first two we bought from a well known dealer but after trip after trip to them trying to get things sorted, often multiple times for the same issue, we sold both on. With the first vehicle we thought we'd bought a 'Dagenham tea break' so sold it and bought another only to find pretty much the same, and more, issues. Not a Burstner by the way.

Our latest vehicle is from another well known dealership and the difference between them and the first dealership is astonishing. Their attitude towards us and their competence is completely different. Our current dealer is proactive and competent, the former was totally incompetent in dealing with the issues we had ... everything was because 'we were doing it wrong'! If that wasn't bad enough they were rude as well.

There's a dealership review section on motorhome fun which is worth checking.

Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
Camping , caravanning, campervaning for 10 years
Thanks NiceandJay - out of interest was that mentioned by a dealer, and was it one of the main Burstner dealers or did you contact Burstner direct? Might indicate some flexibility behind the scenes.
Hi,
That was the service department of Southdowns Motorhomes in Portsmouth and I stress that I was told Burstner "had" allowed a 3 month grace period because of Covid and that statement was followed up by saying that Burstner are back to normal now which I understand is strict on the damp check timing as I guess all manufacturers are....

May 12, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2017
An Up - date to my previous posting #10

Burstner have agreed to the repair of the 'floating floor' in the kitchen area. Full credit to Burstner for taking responsibility for the original manufacturing problem in a 2016 vehicle, despite the fact that they only give a two year warranty.

As I said in my previous post a good product, now I can, also, say supported by good customer service.

Robert

Alfie159

Free Member
Mar 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 2019
Exp
Reassuring to read after taking delivery of a 21 model. Hope yours is all fixed soon and travels recommence soon

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back