Burstner/Hymer alloy wheels (1 Viewer)

Aug 23, 2011
Huntingdon, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Lyseo 727g
Exp
since 2011
There is probably another thread on this issue that I missed, but just in case....

Speaking to a dealer this morning there has been an issue with the company that supplied alloy wheels to Burstner and Hymer in that some batches developed corrosion (looks a bit like worm trails on the alloy). They will be replaced under warranty, but there may be some people who haven't noticed the corrosion and their warranty is due to expire. In that case, its worth a check just in case.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Carthago had the same problem a couple of years ago, the wheels in question came from a British supplier, I think my mate had his replaced with German supplied wheels.

Reactions: f6c
Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
They may replace them but it just happens again on the new ones. We had ours replaced last year and the new ones are showing the same signs, even though I waxed them straight away, so I'll be mentioning it again and the next visit.
When we were in France a couple of months ago a French chap in a Burstner pointed out his peeling alloys, and said this was his fourth set, and he'd given up and accepted it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Thanks for that advice Binky. My Hymer wheels have started to show exactly that problem and the warranty period is running out. Phoned Premier Motorhomes, very helpful response asking me send them pictures so that they can clear them as a warranty item and order up replacements. The modest membership fee for this site is quickly justified when you pick up helpful leads like this one.

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
This is the problem with diamond cut and lacquered wheels. I've had a couple of cars with this type of wheels and always ended up having them re finished powder coated.

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
I assume these are the offending articles we are talking about.

Attachments

• IMG_0027.JPG
    IMG_0027.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 113
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I have the same problem on one of my wheels and it is being replaced by Becks next week under warranty. I will be keeping a careful eye on the rest of them as my warranty runs out in November.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
I had all 6 wheels replaced on my 2013 Burstner under warranty about 18 months after purchase. No signs of the problem on the replacement rims.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Just had confirmation that 4 new wheels have been ordered for me under warranty. Thanks for this thread which alerted me to the problem.:D

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
IMG_4968.JPG
I'm in the process of buying a Burstner ixeo 726g 2014 from a dealer, picking up in a few weeks. The alloys are all marked, do you think I have a warranty claim for new alloys?

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
You can't lose anything by trying. Our Hymer is a 2014 and they were replaced last year. I think you stand a good chance as it's a well documented problem.
Off to see the dealer first thing in the morning, they are a respected one in Scotland so hopefully shouldn't have a problem.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
That is exactly how my Hymer wheels look. Luckily it is still within the 2 year Hymer warranty and they quickly agreed to replace them. No idea how Burstner would view this after 3 years but I suspect it will be outside their warranty. I think you might do better to raise this with the dealer you are buying from.

Jun 9, 2016
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Exp
None
Off to see the dealer first thing in the morning, they are a respected one in Scotland so hopefully shouldn't have a problem.
Dan and Jan,

How did you get on? Our 2010 Burstner wheels are worse than yours. Don’t know if is worth try8ng with the original dealer.

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
Dan and Jan,

How did you get on? Our 2010 Burstner wheels are worse than yours. Don’t know if is worth try8ng with the original dealer.
Spoke to the dealer and he said his "expert" couldn't do those type of alloys for some reason. I gave him to the end of the month to come up with a solution including new alloys. I have been away south for a few weeks so will chase him up on Monday. They know all about it as they tried to get warranty through Burstner but it was to late. I will post when I know more.

Phillybarbour

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout Revo.
Exp
Since 2010
We had all six replaced on our Burstner, replacement ones started the same not long after but van now sold.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
They are a complete nightmare. I owned two Burstner Elegance Motorhomes. The first one had 2 sets fitted and were showing the same issue when I traded it in. The second one had 3 sets in 2.5 years. I was assured numerous times the issue had been resolved but obviously was not. I was assured they would honour any warranty claim even out with the 2 years until the issue was resolved.
I also had a new set of alloys fitted to my previous van which were completely different models supplied to Niesmann and Bischoff by Goldshmit.
I have the same wheels on my new Morelo so watching with interest.
Plastic wheel covers would be so much easier.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
IMG_0241.JPG
Had my alloys replaced by Hymer today. Pleased to see that they have used entirely different ones from the newer model range so hoping they will last better than the originals. Thank you to this thread i.e Binky and motorhomefun.

Bill Treasurer

Free Member
Sep 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
You've probably had them replaced by Burstner and are now finding that the replacements are going the same way. This happened to me and it seems to me that you get a set of faulty replacements to replace your originals and thats it. They use the excuse 'that they are now out of warranty' as they use up their stock of faulty wheels which is a disgraceful way to treat a customer.

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
Diamond cut wheels sell vehicles, be them on cars or motorhomes, sadly though the surface of these wheels tends to be fragile. All it takes is a tiny stone chip or a technician breaking the surface when removing wheel nuts and the white worms start their journey.
The manufacturers will keep fitting them because shiny wheels appeal, but those that buy new would be well advised to insist on regular silver painted alloys being fitted to their new vehicle, as we have recently done when ordering a new car.

Bill Treasurer

Free Member
Sep 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
View attachment 178899 I'm in the process of buying a Burstner ixeo 726g 2014 from a dealer, picking up in a few weeks. The alloys are all marked, do you think I have a warranty claim for new alloys?
Diamond cut wheels sell vehicles, be them on cars or motorhomes, sadly though the surface of these wheels tends to be fragile. All it takes is a tiny stone chip or a technician breaking the surface when removing wheel nuts and the white worms start their journey.
The manufacturers will keep fitting them because shiny wheels appeal, but those that buy new would be well advised to insist on regular silver painted alloys being fitted to their new vehicle, as we have recently done when ordering a new car.

Bill Treasurer

Free Member
Sep 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
My issue with Burstner is that they replace faulty alloys(Which has been well documented) with a set of the same faulty wheels until the warranty runs out.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
All these problems with German vans:rolleyes:

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I believe that the offending alloys were British made!
Ah, that explains why my replacement ones have been good. They have a Hymer mark on them so probably originated in Germany. Glad they didn’t replace like with like.

Jun 23, 2017
Shipley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis T - 588
Exp
Since 2004
All diamond cut alloys will have these problems because of the difficulty of getting the clear lacquer to stick to the shiny finish... My summer only car has them and at 7 years old they are still like new. That's only because I inspect them very closely for chips over winter and touch them up as necessary. I also make a point of asking tyre fitters to be very careful because last time I investigated they were about £100 a wheel to refinish. Probably impossible to keep them perfect with winter or all year round use.

Jun 9, 2016
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Exp
None
The diamond cut wheels on our elegance were replaced by Burstner (with the previous owner) with a set of conventional powered coated alloys and they are fine. If I was considering asking for a replacement I would be going that route.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back