Burstner Fiat alternator issue (1 Viewer)

Sep 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
Fiat Burstner 747-2
Exp
Since 2007
Hi all
I've got a bit of a an alternator issue and looking for advice..

My battery light came on Friday evening outside Nantes. Checked the battery (with multi meter) and was holding 12.6v then. Parked up for the night, then proceeded into Nantes Saturday, 40 min spin. Got here and checked again, still 12.6v bizzarely (no lights or appliances used..) but when I take off the alternator lead and read power it's sending to the battery at tickover it read 11.6v.. plugged into shore power here and has engine batt back up over 13v for now...

Found a recon alternator here in Nantes, but struggling to get someone to fit it here (the 747 is big and not easy to get into smaller garages, lots of places saying they don't work on 'Camping Cars') and have the boat home on Wednesday...

So.. what's the chances of me making a 2 hour spin to Mont St Michel tomorrow, and another 2 to Cherbourg on Wednesday?! Possible?! I can charge over night tomorrow off shore power..

All opinions welcome!

OP
OP
B
Sep 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
Fiat Burstner 747-2
Exp
Since 2007
Ha - wishful thinking! It should be, but isn't as the electro box isn't working properly and not sending solar to the eng batt, or alternator power to the leisure batts.... But a by pass for the trip is possible...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
As long as you can start your van your ok diesels don’t need power to run once started.
If the battery dies your dials and lights will too

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
yes they do, the ECU uses some, the stop solenoid uses some, the lift pump uses a shed load and if it's wet or dark the fellas going to need lights and wipers..
If you know your batteries "reserve capacity" and you don't hoss the juice out of it with the blowers / aircon etc on then that will give you an approximate driving time until it conks out. :D

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Ha - wishful thinking! It should be, but isn't as the electro box isn't working properly and not sending solar to the eng batt, or alternator power to the leisure batts.... But a by pass for the trip is possible...
So you went on holiday with a faulty power distribution unit :unsure::censored:

OP
OP
B
Sep 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
Fiat Burstner 747-2
Exp
Since 2007
So you went on holiday with a faulty power distribution unit :unsure::censored:
Yep, which I found out that day before leaving! But point taken.. I'd had the solar fitted and the alternator tested that day, and decided both batteries were served by on the move power, and both together recharged by shore power, hence the decision...

OP
OP
B
Sep 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
Fiat Burstner 747-2
Exp
Since 2007
So, thanks for the opinions and input. Turns out the alternator was shagged, and I doubt id have had enough juice to do 2 hours, as it was pissing rain and those wipers have lots of ground to cover.
I was blessed in that I called a Nantes Motor Factors called Pieces et Pneus dot com, and the owner Dominique had great English, worked with Perkins in Newcastle and knew his stuff about leisure vehicles in general... and was brilliant, found me a jobbing mechanic (Eric) to do the job, the part and gave sound advice.
Got on the road Tuesday night for ferry Wednesday afternoon, all went off well and total job cost €120 for recon alternator at short notice, and €50+ decent tip for the mechanic.. it was not a straightforward job...
Do look them up if you're ever in need, in Nantes!
Cheers!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back