burstner aviano fibreglass panel blistering (1 Viewer)

Greenways

Free Member
Jan 23, 2018
Funster No
I own a 2008 burstner aviano motorhome which has developed serious front panel and top of bonnet paint bubbling since having replacement panels fitted during a rebuild about 6 years ago ago. The panel blistering is contuing like a rash. Any chance of burstner addressing the problem. Any others with fibreglass panel problems like this ?

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
welcome animated smiley3.gif

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You say a rebuild and replacement panels 6years ago, were these panels from Burstner and pre painted or did somebody else paint them, fibreglass needs a special primer to paint it.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
I will watch this with interest, we have a 2011 Aviano with original panels/paint (AFAIK) with no bubbling/blistering as yet...

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Bubbles in fibreglass normally I would associate with osmosis ,when mix is wrong or water ingress ,as welcome as a fart in a dry suit
By the way
w2f

OP
OP
G

Greenways

Free Member
Jan 23, 2018
Funster No
Thanks for your replies. As I said, the problem is with the rebuild panels at the front not the original 2008 vehicle.
The panels came prepainted from burstner supplier to my repair centre. None of the bubbles have been burst and it does seem like the problem might be related to either the base panel material being unstable and gassing off or possibly the base layers of paint used.
This problem started maybe a year after installation back in 2013 ish.
Chris

Cooldude

Free Member
Feb 23, 2017
Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2007
We had the same with the two front wings of our new 2014 Auto-Sleeper Broadway. The first winter may have caused the small bubble rash to appear and the cause was, I understand, put down to condensation/moisture in the air lines of the paint spraying equipment. I think they had not been dried out properly prior to spraying. We also had a small amount of flaking in the moulded details. AS took responsibility as the wings are sprayed white by them as part of the final livery colour. At the time a few other owners had similar issues. Fortunately this was carried out under AS warranty. That was three years ago and so far it hasn’t returned, but I am keeping an eye on it!!

Pete

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Thanks for your replies. As I said, the problem is with the rebuild panels at the front not the original 2008 vehicle.
The panels came prepainted from burstner supplier to my repair centre. None of the bubbles have been burst and it does seem like the problem might be related to either the base panel material being unstable and gassing off or possibly the base layers of paint used.
This problem started maybe a year after installation back in 2013 ish.
Chris
I would think that your best option might be to get a bodyshop to strip off the old paint and then repaint using the correct coupling primer for fibreglass panels.

I can't see Burstner being that interested.

Martin

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I own a 2008 burstner aviano motorhome which has developed serious front panel and top of bonnet paint bubbling since having replacement panels fitted during a rebuild about 6 years ago ago. The panel blistering is contuing like a rash. Any chance of burstner addressing the problem. Any others with fibreglass panel problems like this ?

There are a few past threads on the subject that might be of interest. Do a search for bubbling using the search box on the top right of this page.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
@Greenways I've just been out to take a pic of the fibreglass overcab on my '05 Burstner, it has the small rough bubbles on it too. I never really noticed them until the first time I was up on the roof giving it a clean and polish. They don't seem to have got any worse over time. My neighbour sprays rally cars for M Sport and he reckons it's to do with moisture during the painting process. I was just going to live with it, but since I started cleaning the van with snow foam, the clear lacquer has started to peel off, again, only on the overcab area, although the snow foam also destroyed the laminated "rating/i.d." plate glued near the hab door. Obviously I've stopped using the snow foam now (Cherry snow foam from UK Valet supplies)

Attachments

• 20180124_113709.jpg
    20180124_113709.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 28
OP
OP
G

Greenways

Free Member
Jan 23, 2018
Funster No
Thanks everyone for your comments. I’m going to pop in to the repair centre tomorrow and put myself at their mercy. See if I can get a discount! Maybe this trouble has been caused by these parts being sourced by Burstnter from Eastern Europe (several were rejected on quality grounds by the repairer but all looked good......at first)! Quality control seemed to be non existent at the time!
Cheers .carry on camping folks.
Chris

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back