Burstner Argos - what are people’s thoughts ? (1 Viewer)

Apr 30, 2020
Hartpury, Gloucester, Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 796
Exp
So I was not looking to change my camper but I saw a MMM review on line a few weeks ago of the Burstner Argos 747-2 and I have fallen in love. To me it looks like a what a proper camper should do so yesterday I went and looked at one.

So my question:
Has anyone here had or have one. What, if any are the problems that I should look out for or compromises with the layout?

Being objective, on the practicality side the only con that I can think of is the increased air-draught over my low profile, and maybe the addition fuel consumption. The additional 80-90cm in length is not a concern because with the bike rack on my 8m Autograph is the same.

The only compromise is the loss of having two separate seating areas and maybe the lack of all round visibility for people watching on site. The lounging space that we currently have is exceptional and something that is always going to be nearly impossible to replicate in another model.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Never had one and don’t know anything about them. But maybe your last sentence is telling you something…….if that exceptional lounging space does it for you,maybe you should stick with what you’ve got.

OP
OP
MR BLO
Apr 30, 2020
Hartpury, Gloucester, Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 796
Exp
Thank you Podney. What I was rather hoping for was independent inspiration to convince the wife that it is sensible to “waste £100k on a Fiat” as she so bluntly puts it.
So I don’t think that I will be sharing your response with her. 🤫

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
I think TheAleMan had something like that.
I sure did Manic 🤣👍

We had a 2007 Burstner Argos 747-2. A great family van with loads of storage, including big garage where we used to carry a 125cc scooter at one point. Mpg was on average around 21-22, and down to around 19mpg with the toad on the back. These figures were noted in fine driving conditions. Hit a headwind on a long run and you could easily see a return in the region of 16mpg or so. 😬

It was a lovely van to drive, and being a tag, it was very stable and had a solid feel about it, unlike our new one.😩

As the kids eventually became less interested in coming away, we found the layout wasn’t suiting us so much and preferring to lounge rather than sit, we started looking for a new van. We’ve had up to 6 people staying in the van which is just about doable but, eats into your day a fair bit getting everybody up, washed/showered, and ready.😬😃

We really loved our Argos and was very sad to see it go in the end. I would say..if the layout works for you, go for it..they are great Vans.👍

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Thank you Podney. What I was rather hoping for was independent inspiration to convince the wife that it is sensible to “waste £100k on a Fiat” as she so bluntly puts it.
So I don’t think that I will be sharing your response with her. 🤫
Just give in gracefully…….You know it makes sense! :ROFLMAO: ;)

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Wow can I drove it on my post 1997 licence lol!

Do you have to get control tower clearance to leave the campsite!!

Seriously I'd be checking the model / manufacturer for damp / delamination issues.

The chassis and equipment are pretty generic and the build of the van particularly the structural build us was most important imho.

Cheers James

Jim lea

Free Member
Dec 13, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2014
Not had one myself, mate we go away with has one. Cracking build quality, however due to layout felt “narrow” and “confined” ie didn’t feel like a big van inside.

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
What year are you looking at?
There are different models - two layouts.

I looked at the Argos and was comparing it with a Dethleffs Advantage A7871. They offered different layouts and I was looking at the U shape rear lounge.

In the end, I bought a Euramobil Activa HS 820.
It has the 4 seat dinette (seat belts fitted) at the front with a side settee and the U shape lounge at the rear.
Really happy with it. Looks great and is practical for our needs.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
The Burstner part of the name, I have no issues with but naming after a cheapass catalogue shop is a bit downmarket for my taste. What next, Hymer Wallmart? or maybe the Carthago Ikea?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I would have liked a quid for every time that I heard a joke about that.😬🤦‍♂️🤣
According to my wife, I never fail to disappoint and my awful jokes are legendary with my daughter's friends. In fact I told my daughter many years ago that my lifetime goal was to one day bean embarrassment to her. Her reply was I needed a new life goal as I had got that one to perfection.

My daughter worked for Argos for a while and I had the pleasure of returning something suitably crap with the manageress serving me. All business concluded the manageress asked if she could help me with anything else. I replied that I had purchased goods some time ago that proved within a month or so to be faulty. Could I get a refund without the receipt, as I had clear evidence of the fault?

What was this faulty item I was asked? ......... A condom I replied and the evidence is over there at another till to prove it was defective. Everyone in earshot burst out laughing, but not for some reason my daughter?? I wonder if that was part of the reason she moved hundreds of miles away?

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
There’s a Euramobil Activa for sale on here (Just seen it in this weeks email) if you wanted to view internal layout etc. to compare with an Argos

Jun 9, 2023
Scottish Borders, UK
Funster No
MH
Burnster
Exp
Since May this year, first motorhome and we bypassed the minivan and went straight to.A class
Just bought a 748 active 2 on an 04 plate coupleof months ago, layout of the lounge a little different from most ive seen with with only 4 belted seats and a long bench behind the passenger seat as opposed to the double seat with belts. Previous owner had to give it up for health reasons and wer visibly gutted to have to lose it. We are smitten, it's been well taken care of and in great condition. After a new timing belt we have done a couple of trips and found it to be OK on fuel though my attitude to fuel is if it needs it you put it in but only filled it twice so far. Have been pleasantly surprised. Fitting solar and inverter at the moment and also fitted a generator, looking forward to longer off grid trips. Found even with two grandkids and 2 dogs trips have been comfortable and not cramped. Storage is fantastic.

Nov 19, 2021
Nr Wigan, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido A Class
Exp
Sold our 2004 Burstner A747/2 Active around 18months ago, we had it for 16yrs.
Went all over Europe in it, wife, 2 kids and myself, absolutely loved it, loved the space and the payload.
They are bricks so not the most economical vehicles. It will have a fuel gauge so when it gets to about a quarter of a tank just fill it.

Top tip. Take the bathroom door off, turn it upside down and swap the hinges & catch to the opposite side. The door will then open outwards towards the rear fixed bed. It will make the bathroom look so much bigger and definitely more workable.

Had a problem with the over bed roof lining, it was so hot in the South of France one year the glue heated up and the lining dropped down. Tried to re glue it but the same thing happened again so fitted it out with plastic cladding.

May 13, 2023
Soon to be on the road
Funster No
MH
Burstner elegance 82
Exp
Since 2024
So the burstner argos 747-2 or the burstner elegance i821
That's my dilemma
Would be looking at 2008-2009 and around 40k
But which one
I am looking to spend around a year in it full time
The large garage is a must for motorcycle
Any feedback or alive happily received
Oh and I'm new to motorhome fun and motorhoming

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
So the burstner argos 747-2 or the burstner elegance i821
That's my dilemma
Would be looking at 2008-2009 and around 40k
But which one
I am looking to spend around a year in it full time
The large garage is a must for motorcycle
Any feedback or alive happily received
Oh and I'm new to motorhome fun and motorhoming

Have you ruled out the Dethleffs (tag axle i8780) version of the above vans?

We had one for 14 years; it was a quality van.

This one, for example, is on Autotrader.

Ian

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Get an 821. (y) I am a bit biased though. :LOL:
IMG_4298.jpeg

This lives in the garage too.

IMG_4206.jpeg