Burgohondo and Beyond (1 Viewer)

Nov 19, 2010
Walking the dog
Funster No
MH
Hymer 680 Starline
Exp
since 2012
We got back about a week ago! Only in Spain for a month with a few days travelling either side. This time we hit Valencia and after a couple of trips into the city turned left and up the coast [instead of the usual route south and down towards you].
We ended up in Morella before heading home.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
but Martin's found a 30km mountain bike ride for us to do tomorrow :(/:), tell you tomorrow.
Ooh, lucky you Judith. :LOL:
Smashing photos BTW. (y) Thanks for sharing. :)

Twas a gift from our nextdoor motorhome guy, it was a new one for me Jock to be honest...however a very nice one indeed.
Will check it out next time we are in the UK.
TBH Martin, there isn't a bad ale amongst the Wychwood range, with Hobgoblin (Dark Ruby) being my favourite. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Ooh, lucky you Judith. :LOL:
Smashing photos BTW. (y) Thanks for sharing. :)

TBH Martin, there isn't a bad ale amongst the Wychwood range, with Hobgoblin (Dark Ruby) being my favourite. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)
Don't know much about Beer, more of a wine man myself, however I knows what I like and appreciate a good one now and then.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Used Wikiloc to find a cycle route to do today. It wasn't the one I'd original!y found but it turned out to be a good one ... except for the part where one of those huge sheep guarding dogs took a fancy to us and set off from about 1km away to join us. No photo as I was off leaving Martin to sort it out!

The route was gentle and mainly on wide tracks without much climb. We took about an hour longer than the original poster did but we stopped for photos.

IMG_2054.PNG

Early on in the ride.

A Roman bridge and mile marker, just after the dog incident.

IMG_2022.JPG

IMG_2026.JPG

We didn't get into the Parque Natural Las Tuerces on this route as intended but we rode near to it.

IMG_2038.JPG

IMG_2048.JPG

IMG_2059.PNG

We arrived back at the motorhome and were surprised by a voice saying hola at the door. We know one orienteering family who live in Aguilar de Campoo and one of the daughters was cycling past and recognised our van! Don't know what the odds would be for that happening but maybe we should buy a lottery ticket!

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Used Wikiloc to find a cycle route to do today. It wasn't the one I'd original!y found but it turned out to be a good one ... except for the part where one of those huge sheep guarding dogs took a fancy to us and set off from about 1km away to join us. No photo as I was off leaving Martin to sort it out!

The route was gentle and mainly on wide tracks without much climb. We took about an hour longer than the original poster did but we stopped for photos.

View attachment 156465
Early on in the ride.

A Roman bridge and mile marker, just after the dog incident.

View attachment 156466
View attachment 156467

We didn't get into the Parque Natural Las Tuerces on this route as intended but we rode near to it.

View attachment 156468

View attachment 156469

View attachment 156470

We arrived back at the motorhome and were surprised by a voice saying hola at the door. We know one orienteering family who live in Aguilar de Campoo and one of the daughters was cycling past and recognised our van! Don't know what the odds would be for that happening but maybe we should buy a lottery ticket!
Lovely photos Judith !

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
View attachment 156487 Tell me that's not the access road to your left?

Bit bumpy if it was! The access road is above the parking from the left and drops down to a network of roads that we think were put in to build an estate that never even got started. Kilometres of fine tarmac roads to nowhere!

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Just had a stroll around the park across the river from this camperstop at Herrera de Pisuerga, chosen because there's a cycle way along the Canal de Castalla that goes to Palencia (if you want!)

It was too hot! to walk up into the town so not many photos of buildings except the bus station and a local church.

IMG_2062.JPG

IMG_2069.JPG

Looking across the river from the park

IMG_2070.JPG

Bus station

IMG_2076.JPG

IMG_2072.JPG

IMG_2071.JPG

Martin and friends!
IMG_2081.PNG

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Absolutely loving your thread, and fabulous photos.
Not making many comments, because I don't have anything constructive to add.
But rest assured, I'm along for the ride (y).

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Great blog and lovely photos, keep it up thanks. We are well and just planning our trip to England at the end of the month.

Hello Steph. Glad you're both OK. How long will you be in the UK for? We go on 19 May for a month.

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Hi Judith. We cross on 2nd May and return 3rd June. Spending the first couple of weeks with Tracy and family. Then making our way south visiting family.

May bump into you ( not literally) somewhere in the north/south crossing!

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Thanks to Wikiloc (other sites are available!) we found a longish but easy cycle route to do from the moho door. There are thousands of kilometres of tracks and minor roads in this area and we could follow 42km of them!

As this is a farming area there are not a lot of sites of interest along the route but, as always, I took a few photos.

On one of our slight uphill tracks we could see a pinkish triangular shape on the hill. A rare photo of me, to prove I can ride a bike, from where we first spotted it.

IMG_2087.JPG

Martin a little further along.

IMG_2088.JPG

And it was obviously a church. But ... in the middle of nowhere.

IMG_2089.JPG

In the foreground are some stones from a ruined building. Maybe there was a hamlet here sometime. There was no access to the ruined church other than crossing the planted fields so we didn't get any closer.

Further along on our ride we came to a hamlet (we thought it was a village but what you see is what was there!). There are no wild flowers here at the moment except for tree blossom. We think it's too dry!

IMG_2104.PNG

IMG_2092.JPG

A few more villages along and we hoped for a coffee break. Nothing! But we found a nice spot to drink some water and eat an energy bar.

IMG_2095.JPG

Banksie wasn't here!!!
IMG_2094.JPG

But charming nevertheless.

Our final decent. The motorhome is down there somewhere.
IMG_2098.JPG

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We're now at the motorhome parking area in Astudillo. A few reasons for being here. One, there are bodegas here and we're down to our last two glasses of Totana Bodega red. We've resorted to decanting a bottle of white as an insurance against the bodegas here not being open tomorrow morning. Two, we don't want another day in the saddle!

The parking area isn't pretty being next to a sports centre but we only wanted to eat and chill out when we arrived. We passed the Camino Frances town of Fromista on the way here and saw some very tired and hot looking pilgrims. A bit different to when we went through there a few years ago in late April in mist and rain!

It was very quiet here until 4.00 pm when all the village and their relatives arrived to use the sports centre. Martin went for a look and found a football match taking place so he's out there watching.

The village/town has some interesting buildings on a tourist walking route as well as the Bodega route!!! We'll be trying them out in the morning.

We parked for shade but we've also got the noise!
IMG_2101.JPG

Billy no Mates again, atm!

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Football ended and the kids all !eft by 7.45pm and we had a quiet night except for a pair of Scops owls calling well into the night.

This morning we went for a walk which took us along grassy tracks and Riverside paths before heading back into the village near the castle. We didn't find any open bodegas :( so we're still low on red wine. We strolled round the village and then as it was so hot we decided to move the van out of the sun. We're now back in the shade in the motorhome parking at Fromista where we also were tempted to have lunch out.

Our walk today.

IMG_2114.JPG

Heading out of the village passing some cave houses.

IMG_2125.JPG

IMG_2121.JPG

Grassy tracks and Riverside paths.

An abandoned house.
IMG_2119.JPG

Around the castle and caves.
IMG_2139.JPG

Random shots of plants and bushes.
IMG_2148.JPG
For @Anthea M

IMG_2150.JPG

And finally the freestanding arch.
IMG_2111.JPG

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
IMG_2158.JPG
We're now parked up at Fromista, not the nicest of places but seems popular for some reason at the moment. We've had lunch out so not inclined to move but Martin only had one small beer so we may still leave.

We've just had a loose horse run past us on the road. Hope it's not gone onto the motorway. Hoping to see it return safely.

Recently been visited by a shepherd and his flock. Photo through Moho window!

IMG_2155.PNG

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We decided to go for a return visit to the Cañon del Rio Lobos. We were last there at the end of June but only to overnight. We arrived yesterday afternoon and paid €5 for parking, including staying overnight and entry to the Visitor Centre and museum. I think this is because of Easter. It's also pay July and August.

We did the classic marked route walk this morning. Starting down the valley to the Visitor Centre then climbing up to a viewpoint before heading back down to the valley floor to visit the stunning rock formations and the Ermita de San Bartolome.

On our route we saw many Griffon Vultures but the highlight was to see a pair of Egyptian Vultures low down and then soaring to fly with the Griff's.

IMG_2220.JPG

IMG_2226.JPG

Heading down the valley - me!!!

IMG_2227.JPG

The castle above Ucero.
FullSizeRender.jpg

View from the viewpoint.
FullSizeRender.jpg

The road into the park.

IMG_2263.JPG

IMG_2260.JPG

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
We're now at the motorhome parking area in Astudillo. A few reasons for being here. One, there are bodegas here and we're down to our last two glasses of Totana Bodega red. We've resorted to decanting a bottle of white as an insurance against the bodegas here not being open tomorrow morning. Two, we don't want another day in the saddle!

The parking area isn't pretty being next to a sports centre but we only wanted to eat and chill out when we arrived. We passed the Camino Frances town of Fromista on the way here and saw some very tired and hot looking pilgrims. A bit different to when we went through there a few years ago in late April in mist and rain!

It was very quiet here until 4.00 pm when all the village and their relatives arrived to use the sports centre. Martin went for a look and found a football match taking place so he's out there watching.

The village/town has some interesting buildings on a tourist walking route as well as the Bodega route!!! We'll be trying them out in the morning.

We parked for shade but we've also got the noise!
View attachment 156686

Billy no Mates again, atm!

I recognise that aire from a thread last year .

Good luck at the weekend as I am bound to forget. (y)
Regarding temps-It is just as bad down here , around 27º,& today is quite humid as well.:( Saturday & Sunday are supposed to be hotter with cloud Sunday so I suppose it will be humid again.

Some lovely photo's there . You forget what some of these places are like when the weather isn't as good. :D

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
Great photos. Thanks for your help at Totana. Lynnes fit and well, fully recovered. Managed a week wild at La Carolina, then moved down to Cabo de Gata. Back in land to Sierra Maria, great walking. Now treating Lynne to a week of luxury in a small apartment at Los Lucas resturant.

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Great photos. Thanks for your help at Totana. Lynnes fit and well, fully recovered. Managed a week wild at La Carolina, then moved down to Cabo de Gata. Back in land to Sierra Maria, great walking. Now treating Lynne to a week of luxury in a small apartment at Los Lucas resturant.

Glad all's well with you both. Hope to meet you again sometime.

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We're now at the village of Miraflores de la Sierra, north of Madrid. This morning's race was in the mountains north of here near the village of Canencia. For the Spanish Championships some of the courses were lacking in difficulty (mine included) but we were happy with our results.

Tomorrow is a street sprint race here in Miraflores. Some piccies of the town, including people for @Anthea M.

IMG_2280.JPG

IMG_2282.JPG

IMG_2271.JPG

IMG_2278.JPG

Well not be paying much attention to the sights tomorrow just the red and white kites!!!

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Another wonderful place to visit - I wonder how many people have avoided coming to Spain, thinking its all like Benidorm?

You should be made the Honorary Spanish Ambassador to Great British Travelling Folk

Last edited by a moderator:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back