LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Now forget all about which camper will last longest. This baby should be the last one standing. No worries about getting stuck on wet grass at the showground either. Not everyones cup of tea, but if only I had room !!!.
Broken Link Removed

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Now if that had been a british build AEC or Leyland I may have been interested
My favourite truck of all was the AEC matador a fantastic old beast my uncle on fairground had a ex RAF one and I used to drive it when I first passed my HGV
With 2 trailers 1 car trailer and 1 top frame trailer that made up the doggems
Dragged the old thing all round yorkshire until he sold up in 1989 I could have cried when it went :cry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
image.jpg

Here is the old girl in about 1980 I think it was in kippax nr Leeds

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
image.jpg

Done few miles with this old girl as well
Leyland hippo she used to pull the speedway centre then acted as power unit running a belt drive 110 volt dynamo of prop shaft

Soo pleased someone made me think of those happy days of my misspent youth
Now I am of to find all my old photos and have a good old cry over long lost times and friends that are no longer with us

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
This one belongs to a new friend of ours who we met on a beach just past Mojacer.. It is based on a MAN military vehicle chassis and is shown with the top half of the Habitation pod in the hydraulically raised position.. All 8 wheels drive and the hab pod can be left on stilts and the vehicle can then be driven away..
The chap who built/owns it is from Switzerland and is a really nice unassuming kind of bloke who is constantly tweaking and improving his "baby". PS all wheels have automatic inflating/deflating tyres, dependant on terrain and the ride heights also adjustable.. The drawback is the fuel consumption, but if you can afford to build it I guess you don't worry about little things like that.. PPS that isn't a machine gun sticking out up the top, but is a mini crane to change the spare wheel.. Mitch..

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
This one belongs to a new friend of ours who we met on a beach just past Mojacer.. It is based on a MAN military vehicle chassis and is shown with the top half of the Habitation pod in the hydraulically raised position.. All 8 wheels drive and the hab pod can be left on stilts and the vehicle can then be driven away..
The chap who built/owns it is from Switzerland and is a really nice unassuming kind of bloke who is constantly tweaking and improving his "baby". PS all wheels have automatic inflating/deflating tyres, dependant on terrain and the ride heights also adjustable.. The drawback is the fuel consumption, but if you can afford to build it I guess you don't worry about little things like that.. PPS that isn't a machine gun sticking out up the top, but is a mini crane to change the spare wheel.. Mitch..
Thats a Kat, there are always a few trundling around Morocco, usually driven by Germans. One here in Essaouira a couple of years back. The blog below is quite interesting reading by a Kat owner. Broken Link Removed
Morocco 090.jpg

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I must admit although these ex military vehicles are great for off road camping the problem starts when you have to get them from A to B on tarmac. This is a photo of a Rio "whistler" taken some years ago. It was great in sand with 6 wheel drive, but a nightmare on the road with sand tyres and no power steering.
summer with the stutvoets 009.jpg
summer with the stutvoets 010.jpg

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
I,ll bet the people in a queue behind the " old girl" didn,t think so fondly of it ! :)
Regards Phil

Considering it was a 7.7 litre engine with about 95 BHP pulling around 40 ton
It didn't do too bad on flat but up hill flat out 2 mph if you where lucky
No power steering full crash box no heating no nowt
I wish I knew where they are now I would love to know

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I wish I knew where they are now I would love to know

From DVLA

Registration number: JM 6566
Untaxed
Expired: 27 November 1982

Vehicle details
  • Vehicle make LEYLAND AEC
  • Date of first registration 04 May 1947
  • Year of manufacture 1947
  • Cylinder capacity (cc) 0cc
  • CO₂Emissions Not available
  • Fuel type HEAVY OIL
  • Tax class NOT LICENSED
  • Export marker No
  • Vehicle status Not taxed
  • Vehicle colour MAROON
  • Vehicle type approval Not available

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Those old fairground photos really brought back memories. I remember Pat Collins gaf visiting my hometown twice a year, once in May and once in October. Although I was supposed to be at school I always took a few days off "sick" to help with the setup and pulldown. Then one of my first driving jobs was driving a Matador in the local sand quarry, bringing silica sand up from the quarry to put in the dryers. I would be about 14 at that time and should still be at school but they had long given up on me by then and just let me get on with what I wanted to do.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back