Buildings Insurance (1 Viewer)

Apr 17, 2016
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic E Line
Exp
Since March 2004
OK Nothing to do with motorhomes but my son has major problem with his building insurance company.
24 months ago he had a water leak which resulted in a virtual complete rebuild internally of his ground floor flat in London. The insurance company accepted the claim and duly appointed a loss adjuster and instructed "their" builder to strip and reinstate. As stated it is now 24 months since the water damage occurred and he is still having problems. The builder has subcontracted out a lot of the work and used sub standard materials in part. One example is the new wooden floor that has been laid all through the flat. It was damaged when laid and is also "springy" in places.The loss adjuster has seen the floor and told him it is not right. A french polisher ,who came out to try and make good some of the damage, has also said it is not right. Subsequently another surveyer has also stated in writing that the floor is not laid correctly. The original loss adjuster will not take the builders to task for whatever reason. The insurance company (Covea) are very reluctant to talk direct to my son about the issues but were quite happy to part with a substantial amount of money (circa £120,000) to the builder although no notice of satisfaction has ever been offered or signed by my son. He is now left with further rectification work and it would appear that no one wants to take ownership of the problem. How can it be that a loss adjuster working on behalf of an insurance company is unable to get work carried out to the correct standard. The insurance ombudsman has been contacted but they are "snowed" under with work and have said that it could be up to 18 months before a resolution can be arrived at. He has looked at the legal route but is being quoted in the region of £500 per hour because of who is involved. For clarity the floor is only one small part of a very big problem. Any advice gratefully received from anyone especially insurance or legal funsters.
Thanks for reading this rather long post.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I feel your pain,our son had a similar,but less problematical,situation.

The insurance company have the ultimate responsibility to settle the claim correctly,his contract is with them. They tend to hide behind the loss adjusters as that’s easy for them to do. It’s the loss adjusters responsibility to make sure the builders do the job properly.

He needs to write to the loss adjusters and to his insurers to set out the problem,even if he has already done so previously,and insist they take a fresh look at it. Then he needs to drive them mad with chase ups and if they still don’t act he should complain to the Ombudsman.....however long it takes. He will need to have recorded chapter and verse of the process so far.

A letter to the CEO of Covea is the first step.

Jan 28, 2016
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bravaria i740 AClass
I had similar issues with insurance vetted contractor. Absolutely useless. Ended up with onbudsman who advised work sub standard and reimbursed me there rates to rectify the work. Didnt take long a few weeks no doubt hiding behind covid.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
We used to hate insurance jobs as they are very slow at paying,

Reactions: f6c
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I doubt that a loss adjuster who didn't save the ins co money would get many repeat assignments.
Some years ago I was offered a ridiculous settlement for a written off vintage motorbike. It took me 4 months to get an appropriate settlement offer and in the course of my extensive research and subsequent appeal I discovered that the appointed loss adjuster was an ex director of my insurance company who had been made redundant when the company was taken over and had started his own loss adjusting business.

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I bet they were all so nice and helpful when negotiating the premium etc.
When will people learnt it's business, not a friend.
As you may have guessed I negotiated insurance cover when in business, made judgement on settling claims not premiums or that very nice person on the phone.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Just remember the Loss Adjuster works for the insurance company not you you (or your son)

It is in their interest to get the job 'fixed' as fast and cheaply as possible, not the best job, and certainly not restoring it all to 'as before'

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Take a new view to reduce the stress, they have made good on structural damage, the flooring could be treated like a carpet and changed regularly , just accept it move on and replace the flooring 🤔👍

an odd take maybe, but think of the reduced anxiety 🌈

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Take a new view to reduce the stress, they have made good on structural damage, the flooring could be treated like a carpet and changed regularly , just accept it move on and replace the flooring 🤔👍

an odd take maybe, but think of the reduced anxiety 🌈
flooring? or timber floor? one is cosmetic the other not and the OP is not clear but appears to mean the latter

Jan 28, 2016
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bravaria i740 AClass
No point paying for insurance if everytime the insurance companies wont rectify poor workmanship you just say ok we will put it right at our expense.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back