Buildings and contents insurance (1 Viewer)

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Direct Line again.
Just renewed at around £169 for unlimited building cover and loads of contents (haven't got the details to hand but it is very adequate).
That is for a 4 bed detached house in quiet, rural Suffolk. The house can be unoccupied for up to 60 days at a stretch.
I think that is excellent value.

Richard.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Flood risk can also boost your premiums massively and have more of an effect than the value of the property or contents.

The cheapest option though is to go fulltiming. No building or contents insurance needed :p That said fulltiming insurance is quite expensive.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
I have actually been sat here this evening going over it in my mind again, I don't think we have that much high end stuff, but I do think people may be underestimating the total price of replacing everything in the house. We have nice but not overly expensive furniture

we did a full walk through our house room by room adding up everything, as suggested by a money program and were horrified how under insured we were a few years ago, my new costings still come in just under £100K

The definition buildings or contents needs confirming, white goods are contents even if fitted apparently, don't forget carpets, curtains, clothes, ipads, Rolex :LOL:, only joking there, but I have got an Omega, all the tools in the shed inc mower. it really does add up quickly (y)
I think everyone should do this.
Simple things like reading glasses, sunglasses, broadband router, sky box, hard drives, memory cards, tablets, phones, books, shoes, suitcases, mirrors, wardrobes, you can go on and on. When £50 buys very little, it's easy to see how it adds up...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We always go for the cheapest on the basis a claim is very unlikely and they will always have to collect more in than thay pay out on average to run the business. I know people who are always claiming stuff if thats what they want fine I want a basic policy to cover the house and a few posessions at the cheapest rate.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I think @DavidG58 is quite correct. It is a good idea to do a walk around and value your items properly to assess your correct level of Contents Insurance.

We downsized last year from a four bedroomed house to a two bedroomed bungalow. It was because we had a major "clear out" that we did our walk around, and that allowed us to reduce our cover as we would have been overpaying otherwise.(y)

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Neighbours of ours had a fire and lost everything and it all started because the previous owner had overated a fuse in the main box as the fire investigator found out,the neighbour had never checked out his fuse box ,it took almost 2 years before they were back in the house and they had 2 kids luckily they were insured with a reputable company .It all turned out ok in the end but it could have been so different
they had to live in a small caravan on a friends drive whilst it was all sorted out .

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
@MichelleRyall @DavidG58

This thread has prompted me to check our insurance figures

Buildings: £500,000

Contents: £75,000

Premium: £108.59

Regards,

and more importantly who with, I am really on a mission now, checked back over last few years been paying close to £1000 for three years at least and we have an outbuilding detached from us used as a holiday let separately insured for more than you lot pay for your whole houses :(

sometimes I worry about me, totally thick, naïve or just gullible o_O

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back