Building and Acoustic Guitar (1 Viewer)

Mar 26, 2018
Ormskilrk
Funster No
MH
Swift Voyager 685FB
Decided to have a go at building an acoustic guitar. I normally build electric guitars and basses so this was a departure from the normal. Start small I thought so decided to copy a Martin Backpacker....

Started with 70mm square of Ash. Decided it was too thin so added 25mm of mahogany.

DSC_8326.JPG

Glueing the top on.....

DSC_8332.JPG

Looking like a guitar....sound hole to cut once I get an 84mm holesaw!

DSC_8334.JPG

OP
OP
Neil Bedwin
Mar 26, 2018
Ormskilrk
Funster No
MH
Swift Voyager 685FB
I leave the playing to the wife.....

Can't stop her....even when camping....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
I like the use of the offset bridge, I assume that is to help with the intonation. I have thought many times about making an acoustic guitar but know it would look like the proverbial dogs dinner. I was fortunate a while back to see some of the work done a well known instrument maker who lives in Northumberland, I believe his guitars sell for around the £10k mark.

OP
OP
Neil Bedwin
Mar 26, 2018
Ormskilrk
Funster No
MH
Swift Voyager 685FB
Yep....generally the high E is shorter than the low E to intonate properly. It's called a 'compensated saddle.'

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I built a small (half size) acoustic guitar in woodwork classes in my last year of school. I kept the shape simple - it was round like a banjo. :)

The problem was I knew nothing about guitars so the frets were all in the wrong place. I should have measured the distances from the bridge of an existing instrument. I subsequently removed the frets and tried it fretless. That wasn't a success either. :)

OP
OP
Neil Bedwin
Mar 26, 2018
Ormskilrk
Funster No
MH
Swift Voyager 685FB
And the test drive.....will sound deeper and more resonant when I put the back on....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back