Free Member
Jul 3, 2016
Yorkshireman living in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Majestic 180
Exp
Guys and Gals

We are looking to venture abroad this year in spring but we are pretty clueless to where exactly to go.
We need the collective experiences and advice from people on this fine forum to get us going !

We dont want to go to France or Spain so we thought we would try Germany, possibly into Denmark,Sweden and Norway if time allows.

Looking at Europe we would be going through Belgium and possibly into the Netherlands but.... we haven't got a clue about where to stop or go from then on!

We will be looking at around 12 days there and back.

So, were to go in Germany ? whats doable in that time and where the heck would we stop ?

We dont really want to wild came but we prefer scenic rather than towns etc.

Come of folks, fire some ideas this way please.

:)

Carl

OP
OP
EyUp

EyUp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2016
Funster No
MH
Majestic 180
Exp
idle bugger :D

I cant deny it :D

Trouble is, we are noobs and her indoors would rather do a longer trip in the UK before we ventured abroad but Im like.... 'Come on, lets just go'
Id hate to end up somewhere Sh&^ or plan something and not be able to get there in time ! Hoping some members here can chip in with advice. Ive been to Germany before but only for a weekend and I was absolutely SH&^%faced so I cant remember it :whistle:

Prob should put this in the beginners section, maybe Jim can move it if needs be ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Ok @carhil, any particular reason why not France?
Any holiday is going to cost money and unless you want the expensive crossings into Netherlands or Belgium, then Dover-Calais or Dover-Dunkirk is quite considerably cheaper.
It would be an idea if you could expand on your idea of holiday. Lots of road miles or leisure. Money no object or moderate.
Which is easiest port considering where you live and your county of birth.

OP
OP
EyUp

EyUp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2016
Funster No
MH
Majestic 180
Exp
Ok @carhil, any particular reason why not France?
Any holiday is going to cost money and unless you want the expensive crossings into Netherlands or Belgium, then Dover-Calais or Dover-Dunkirk is quite considerably cheaper.
It would be an idea if you could expand on your idea of holiday. Lots of road miles or leisure. Money no object or moderate.

Been to France many times ( not in MoHo ) looking for somewhere I haven't seen much of. Dont mind doing the miles but wouldnt want to do hundreds just to get as far as we can. Maybe two or three nights in one spot and move on but not feel rushed on the route back !

The Rhine and Moselle look nice as well as the Black forest etc ??

Im unsure realistically what distance is a comfortable amount to do in 12 days

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Been to France many times ( not in MoHo ) looking for somewhere I haven't seen much of. Dont mind doing the miles but wouldnt want to do hundreds just to get as far as we can. Maybe two or three nights in one spot and move on but not feel rushed on the route back !

The Rhine and Moselle look nice as well as the Black forest etc ??

Im unsure realistically what distance is a comfortable amount to do in 12 days
There will be extremely good suggestions given to you by well travelled guys and girls but I originally thought anywhere but France. Now, wow! There's so different where you go. There's the west that lots go or Eastern France. Using 'All the Aires' we've travelled to different areas, stayed one, two or three nights. Popped into Germany, Luxembourg and Belgium. Use France as a transit to other places

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Have to say France is one of not the best Country to visit in a motorhome. I couldn't think of a nicer time to visit other than spring. Just my opinion. :)

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Have to say France is one of not the best Country to visit in a motorhome. I couldn't think of a nicer time to visit other than spring. Just my opinion. :)
Did you mean to put not in that? If you didn't, I totally agree.. France is really pleasurable and so motorhome friendly.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Ok, travel to Hull, get the ferry over to Rotterdam or Zeebrugge and look to using Dutch sites. They have nice sites on the coast. Germany is very nice. Travel the Moselle or Rhine. Not a lot of excitement in Belgium. Even the Belgians agree.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
When in the Spring?

What do you like doing?

Lots to see in Germany. You could get to Denmark if you had a particular reason for visiting but it isn't as exciting as I had hoped. It would also be cooler than travelling south. Maybe a return trip to Prague would be good with the option to explore Bavaria on the way there and back.

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
We also are considered our first trip abroad in the spring.

So far we have a visit to Keukenhof in Holland, a stop in Bruge and a visit to Dunkirk on the list but not really sure if we should try and fit something else in or if that is enough for ten days without it feeling rushed. Mrs Cornish Boy flys into Amsterdam for work regularly so no point heading up that far as I can always meet her for a weekend there on other occasions.

Intending to use the tunnel because it suits us rather than a North Sea ferry crossing. A couple of quick calc's puts the costs fairly balanced between ferry and tunnel when putting crossing, tolls and fuel into the mix.

Found this SITE useful while looking and working out toll costs and travel times.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
12 days... That's not long..
Dont make the classic mistake of looking at a map and thinking, go there, go there, go there etc..

Moselle is a possibility, there and up the river and back home would be a nice 12 day trip if the weather is good.

OR FRANCE..;)
:rofl::rofl:

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
We also are considered our first trip abroad in the spring.

So far we have a visit to Keukenhof in Holland, a stop in Bruge and a visit to Dunkirk on the list but not really sure if we should try and fit something else in or if that is enough for ten days without it feeling rushed. Mrs Cornish Boy flys into Amsterdam for work regularly so no point heading up that far as I can always meet her for a weekend there on other occasions.

Intending to use the tunnel because it suits us rather than a North Sea ferry crossing. A couple of quick calc's puts the costs fairly balanced between ferry and tunnel when putting crossing, tolls and fuel into the mix.

Found this SITE useful while looking and working out toll costs and travel times.
It really depends on if you want to go somewhere specific or just a relaxing holiday especially first time. Lots of people rush through Northern France to get to other places yet it has great places to see and do

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
12 days... That's not long..
Dont make the classic mistake of looking at a map and thinking, go there, go there, go there etc..

Moselle is a possibility, there and up the river and back home would be a nice 12 day trip if the weather is good.

OR FRANCE..;)
:rofl::rofl:
The OP doesn't want France. Rissen, he don't wanna do France. It's fine. Leaves the best for us seasoned folk.

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
We've Done German Alps-Romanticstrasse /Alpinestrasse end up ad Bertchesgaden. We did Baltic coast last year in 2 weeks. Very pleasantly surprised. Pulled in Prora and Peenemunde. Bit longer drives though.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
We've Done German Alps-Romanticstrasse /Alpinestrasse end up ad Bertchesgaden. We did Baltic coast last year in 2 weeks. Very pleasantly surprised. Pulled in Prora and Peenemunde. Bit longer drives though.
In 12 days??????

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
It really depends on if you want to go somewhere specific or just a relaxing holiday especially first time. Lots of people rush through Northern France to get to other places yet it has great places to see and do

It is primarily to see the bulbs in bloom, so Keukenhof is the main destination. We would also like time to chill and recharge batteries due to manic work diaries over the coming weeks, hence wanting to strike the right balance without it being too little to do or conversely, feeling rushed.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000

I must admit when i first started with a motorhome, France was just somewhere to get through on the way to Spain and the costa's. This was mainly down to limited holiday time and time of year ie wanting the sun..
Since having more time we now love France and all the places we have stopped at, especially with our grandkids who have spent evening on the Seine, swam in lakes, attacked French castles and had dinner on the top of the Pyrenees..

BUT.. That enough about you know where...

ps.. We loved the Moselle as well....(y)(y)

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Weather, weather, weather. Don't forget to make a couple of options for trips according to the weather when you set off.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Germany is great.

You could get to Freiburg in a day from Calais or perhaps with one stop depending on how much driving you want to do. It's a great town, well worth a couple of days.

There's a commercial Stellplatz there right in the middle of town with all facilities. Not the cheapest but nowhere in Germany is. Alternatively there's a campsite a couple of miles out if you prefer to use them.

From there you can wander up the Rhine or even just bumble around Western Germany. You have loads of options and you won't end up too far away from the tunnel.

Stellplatzes - there are two different types really. Some are provided as sleeping spots and tend to be free. They are just that - somewhere to sleep and will have no facilities whatsoever. The other type are privately run as commercial operations and tend to have all facilities but expect to pay for everything. No idea about campsites - never used any there.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Guys and Gals

We are looking to venture abroad this year in spring but we are pretty clueless to where exactly to go.
We need the collective experiences and advice from people on this fine forum to get us going !

We dont want to go to France or Spain so we thought we would try Germany, possibly into Denmark,Sweden and Norway if time allows.

Looking at Europe we would be going through Belgium and possibly into the Netherlands but.... we haven't got a clue about where to stop or go from then on!

We will be looking at around 12 days there and back.

So, were to go in Germany ? whats doable in that time and where the heck would we stop ?

We dont really want to wild came but we prefer scenic rather than towns etc.

Come of folks, fire some ideas this way please.

:)

Carl
Don't go to France or Spain.
Go to Germany via Belgium on the way, Netherlands on the way back.
Consider if 12 days is long enough for a side trip to Denmark, Sweden or Norway.
IMHO 12 days is barely enough time to get to a single German destination.
How about a nice 12 day tour around England?

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Don't go to France or Spain.
Go to Germany via Belgium on the way, Netherlands on the way back.
Consider if 12 days is long enough for a side trip to Denmark, Sweden or Norway.
How about a nice 12 day tour around England?

Interesting; from what I have seen, we would feel that we would have done the length of N Germany, down to Berlin and back in 12 days, even if the weather was fantastic. Maybe it isn't as intriguing for us as it is for you.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

I don't think he was planning on walking (y)

From Calais you would get to Cologne in about 4 hours or Freiburg in about 6 hours. It's only about 9 hours to Berlin.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I don't think he was planning on walking (y)

From Calais you would get to Cologne in about 4 hours or Freiburg in about 6 hours. It's only about 9 hours to Berlin.
But do folk really want to drive in excess of 6 hours on holiday. I'm used to driving up to and including 9 hours a day but that's when I have a destination in mind but on our holidays we meander and chill and get wherever in our time. I'm happy at an hour or so then the vino flows. I like small drives and regular stops but good job we're not all the same otherwise Northern France would be hammered

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
But do folk really want to drive in excess of 6 hours on holiday. I'm used to driving up to and including 9 hours a day but that's when I have a destination in mind but on our holidays we meander and chill and get wherever in our time. I'm happy at an hour or so then the vino flows. I like small drives and regular stops but good job we're not all the same otherwise Northern France would be hammered

So don't do it in one go, have a stopover somewhere.

I don't do long runs either if I can avoid it, we usually aimed at being parked up for the day by lunchtime.

The point was that pretty much anywhere in Germany is easily reachable in a day or two.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
So don't do it in one go, have a stopover somewhere.

I don't do long runs either if I can avoid it, we usually aimed at being parked up for the day by lunchtime.

The point was that pretty much anywhere in Germany is easily reachable in a day or two.
Very true or three or four with stopovers. I wouldn't consider doing say Bavaria in a day or two.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I see you dont want to go to France so go to the German region of Alsace and do the wine route there !!:winky: At least you do think you might be in Germany !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back