LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
So we left a very wet soggy Wales behind, swept up Cliff and Ger from their home near Bath and made it to the tunnel in plenty of time. This trip is sans vans so it was lovely to arrive in Bruges and settle into our hotel, 2 suites with everything we could possibly need for the weekend Inc a free drink each in the bar.

We wondered out onto the old cobbled streets in search of some local produce...

Beer tasting x 2....
IMG_9739.JPG

Some food and many beers later found us strolling around one of the squares, Bruges is very pretty but we were aghast to be thrown out of the pub at its 11.00pm closing time...don't they know we are on our holibobs?!

More to follow...

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Beer tasting x 2....
View attachment 150645

Some food and many beers later found us strolling around one of the squares, Bruges is very pretty but we were aghast to be thrown out of the pub at its 11.00pm closing time...don't they know we are on our holibobs?!

More to follow...

That's the problem with these Continentals, they reach contentment before capacity......

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Danny's Bar in Antwerp only closes when the Sun comes up. You're in the wrong City:drinks:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Cant recall the pub name but they have over 300 different beers to choose from.....mostly bottled obviously and many are very strong.
You'll need more than a week to get through that lot.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
If you like ribs and beer and R&B music then look for . All you can eat ribs will stuff you full - they keep bringing them out until you tell them to stop. Try the House Sauce - beer and chocolate - nicer than it sounds!

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
If you like ribs and beer and R&B music then look for . All you can eat ribs will stuff you full - they keep bringing them out until you tell them to stop. Try the House Sauce - beer and chocolate - nicer than it sounds!

Sounds wonderful unfortunately it's 11pm here and we are just a tad full after our Argentinian steak...somewhere for next time.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Well what a wonderful weekend it's been. Just got back from possibly the best steak I have ever eaten, after a day of boat tripping, Holy Blood relickin, beer quaffing, coffee and pastry indulging, and a tad of retail therapy where - yes you've guessed it - Pashminas were involved! Suffice to say a beautiful dusky pink will be accompanying the famous mother of the bride outfit and a sultry blue has made a welcome addition to my scarf wardrobe!

We've done our Brexit bit by upsetting the locals. In our defence, the service in cafes has been less than perfect and we walked out of the first cafe after being ignored for 30 minutes, while the locals came in after us, and were served in front of us while we're still waiting to be served.

We went to the second cafe and spotted a family who looked to be vacating their table, so we elbowed in and claimed it. Unfortunately they weren't quite ready to vacate it and we spent an awkward few minutes sitting around the last man sitting who was very reluctant to move. He gave up in the end and got up, but left his bag behind! I spent the next 10 minutes nervously listening to it, but thankfully his mate came in and picked it up. I think they had only intended to go outside for a ciggie, not bargaining on a band of Englishers coming in and evicting them!

We had custard croissants and coffees, but waited another 30 minutes for the second round of coffees - ordered but promptly forgotten!

Moving on to the brewery where Dawn clouted a man around the head with her bag and upset his wife by sitting next to her - what a miserable pair of Bruggers they were! We had a wonderful lunch of chorizo, bread and chips. Martin had a very spinachy soup and Dawn eventually had bruschetta, with mashed peas and salad, after reminding the waitress that she may have forgotten our order! Even in the Argentinian Steak House they forgot a glass of rose - so service has been less than perfect!

But apart from little restaurant hiccups it's been brill. I can't post photos yet, but when I can there will be blood - @Anthea M - Holy Blood! We timed it perfectly - visiting the Basilica just as the crystal phial of Blood was being venerated! It's a photo from a distance but it still counts as evidence of a relic! (y)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Well what a wonderful weekend it's been. Just got back from possibly the best steak I have ever eaten, after a day of boat tripping, Holy Blood relickin, beer quaffing, coffee and pastry indulging, and a tad of retail therapy where - yes you've guessed it - Pashminas were involved! Suffice to say a beautiful dusky pink will be accompanying the famous mother of the bride outfit and a sultry blue has made a welcome addition to my scarf wardrobe!

We've done our Brexit bit by upsetting the locals. In our defence, the service in cafes has been less than perfect and we walked out of the first cafe after being ignored for 30 minutes, while the locals came in after us, and were served in front of us while we're still waiting to be served.

We went to the second cafe and spotted a family who looked to be vacating their table, so we elbowed in and claimed it. Unfortunately they weren't quite ready to vacate it and we spent an awkward few minutes sitting around the last man sitting who was very reluctant to move. He gave up in the end and got up, but left his bag behind! I spent the next 10 minutes nervously listening to it, but thankfully his mate came in and picked it up. I think they had only intended to go outside for a ciggie, not bargaining on a band of Englishers coming in and evicting them!

We had custard croissants and coffees, but waited another 30 minutes for the second round of coffees - ordered but promptly forgotten!

Moving on to the brewery where Dawn clouted a man around the head with her bag and upset his wife by sitting next to her - what a miserable pair of Bruggers they were! We had a wonderful lunch of chorizo, bread and chips. Martin had a very spinachy soup and Dawn eventually had bruschetta, with mashed peas and salad, after reminding the waitress that she may have forgotten our order! Even in the Argentinian Steak House they forgot a glass of rose - so service has been less than perfect!

But apart from little restaurant hiccups it's been brill. I can't post photos yet, but when I can there will be blood - @Anthea M - Holy Blood! We timed it perfectly - visiting the Basilica just as the crystal phial of Blood was being venerated! It's a photo from a distance but it still counts as evidence of a relic! (y)
Haha I have seen the queues to see the famous Phial of blood! We walked on by!! ( well had a coffee in the cafe next door with the very elaborate pots!!)

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Lovely pastries for breakfast, just a shame they didn't want to serve us!

IMG_9740.JPG

We weren't hungry enough to be eating these though...

IMG_9741.JPG

IMG_9742.JPG

A lovely brewery tour and lunch...

IMG_9743.JPG

IMG_9744.JPG

I asked for vinegar to go with our fries...this us what eventually arrived...

IMG_9746.JPG

Whilst out shopping we lost the boys and wondered if they had wandered into this shop... We both hoped not!
IMG_9748.JPG

More to follow..

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Have now got a few minutes spare to carry on the thread. We had a lovely Sunday morning in Bruges before making the journey home.

I took the final chance to go tat buying and bought a fridge magnet of Bruges, and rather than pay €25 for a Christmas decoration I spent €3 on something that will do the job!
IMG_3318.JPG

I definitely reckon I have good taste in tat - built up over years of practice!

Waiting for the first customer....
IMG_3304.JPG

As close as I thought I should get to the Holy Blood...
IMG_3220.JPG

We delayed our return on the chunnel and went on a mission to find final provisions for the wedding breakfast and the hen night. Instructions from the hotel receptionist found us in a Carrefour in the middle of a town, in the pouring rain, with Martin parked up on a narrow street that had a distinct pedestrian feel to it, so there was no idle aisle meandering for us girls, but focused tracking down of said items, (we did manage to make a diversion to the pastries aisle though) and having loaded up the boot we set off along the coast, stopping for lunch in Les Oyats restaurant in Leffrinckoucke, a small town near Dunkirk. Dawn went for moules but the rest of us had fish and chips!
IMG_3319.PNG

There was a carnival going on in the town, and the whole population seemed to be dressed up in the wierdest fancy dress we have ever seen...
IMG_1253.JPG

Pheasant feathers were much in evidence.....

I remembered then that exactly 30 years ago I went with some friends to The Dead Rats Ball in Ostende, so guessed that this carnival with weird fancy dress must be connected to it. I knew it was exactly 30 years to the day, because our ferry was the one that left Dover immediately after the Herald of Free Enterprise.

After a lovely lunch we drove to Calais and then the long drive home from Folkestone. Martin did a brilliant job driving and Dawn and I did a brilliant job chatting all the way home, allowing the boys to get a word in edgeways every now and again.

I've probably forgotten loads of things, but suffice to say we had a wonderful weekend with lovely company. Thanks Dawn and Martin for letting us join you on yet another hollibob, and we look forward to the next one - wherever we end up......

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Sounds like you had a great trip!
And I'm loving the mini clogs!!( I do like sn alternative tree deco!!)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
In our defence, the service in cafes has been less than perfect and we walked out of the first cafe after being ignored for 30 minutes, while the locals came in after us, and were served in front of us while we're still waiting to be served.
Geraldine, that happened to us in Honfluer, in a small family run restaurant, and, we experienced similar rude behaviour at a Pharmacy, where folks behind us in the queue, were served before us. :mad:

Glad to see that you all had a smashing time (y) despite the rude reception/behaviour from some. :(

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back