Aug 6, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend 7057
Exp
Since 2017
Hi there

I'm embarrassed but more angry with myself. I broke my lovely habitation door flyscreen on my Dethleffs Trend (2016 reg) and wondered if anyone knows how/where/who to go to to get a new one fitted?

How did I break it? I pulled the hab door shut before making sure that the screen was fully retracted. <grumble>

Any ideas appreciated...

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Olerys Beverly might have what your looking for if not good luck
Bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
I could have cried when the wind caught our door and slammed it shut on our fly screen ! Why do they fit the doors with a gas strut that does not hold open! Ermmmmmmmm! I really pity you honestly. I aspire to an "A" class. I can honestly say that if it had happened to me in my "dream" A class...I would have got my gun out! :swear:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
kenwardc
Aug 6, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend 7057
Exp
Since 2017
Thanks for your replies, folks.

Bill - thanks, I'll have a look and see what I find.

Chaser - not sure - I guess it depends on what the screen costs to replace. If not too much then probably not worth claiming on the insurance. I'll chat to the dealer tomorrow.

"Kev and Carolyn" - I could easily have shot myself! I've been trying so hard to remember NOT to let the door slam on the screen and for me to have actually pulled it shut with one hand while sliding the screen back with the other was nothing less that plain dumb. I fully deserve the "slap with a wet fish award" for this.

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Thanks for your replies, folks.

Bill - thanks, I'll have a look and see what I find.

Chaser - not sure - I guess it depends on what the screen costs to replace. If not too much then probably not worth claiming on the insurance. I'll chat to the dealer tomorrow.

"Kev and Carolyn" - I could easily have shot myself! I've been trying so hard to remember NOT to let the door slam on the screen and for me to have actually pulled it shut with one hand while sliding the screen back with the other was nothing less that plain dumb. I fully deserve the "slap with a wet fish award" for this.
Wont be the first or last time something like this happens! Its part and parcel of having a little bit of fun! Don't fret!
kev

Upvote 0

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Ken,

This happened to us the other day when we were cleaning the van on our drive. Fortunately for me (and my pride) the hab door simply derailed the screen and I was able to manipulate it back onto the rails.

Has your screen got a hole in it now or is it a structural problem.

Cheers,

Andrew

Upvote 0
OP
OP
kenwardc
Aug 6, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend 7057
Exp
Since 2017
Ken,

This happened to us the other day when we were cleaning the van on our drive. Fortunately for me (and my pride) the hab door simply derailed the screen and I was able to manipulate it back onto the rails.

Has your screen got a hole in it now or is it a structural problem.
There appears to be a plastic clip at the top which has come off. I'll take some pics tomorrow (weather permitting) and post 'em up here. I really want to get this sorted as I'm hoping to go off on a rally in a week or two but want the screen working...

There may be a leetle tear right at the bottom but I'll have a good look tomorrow and get back to you.

Thanks so much for your response.
Chris

Upvote 0

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
There appears to be a plastic clip at the top which has come off. I'll take some pics tomorrow (weather permitting) and post 'em up here. I really want to get this sorted as I'm hoping to go off on a rally in a week or two but want the screen working...

There may be a leetle tear right at the bottom but I'll have a good look tomorrow and get back to you.

Thanks so much for your response.
Chris
Hi Chris,

I thought I had broken our screen (it looked quite bad) until I got the pliers out. All sorted now.

It will be good to see some pics.

All the best,

Andrew

Upvote 0
OP
OP
kenwardc
Aug 6, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend 7057
Exp
Since 2017
Hi Chris,

I thought I had broken our screen (it looked quite bad) until I got the pliers out. All sorted now.

It will be good to see some pics.
Hi there, Andrew. Apologies for not posting the pics I promised. Life has taken over again I'm afraid. I'm off to Dorset tomorrow morning to get the folks at Solar Solutions to fit my new Motorhome WiFi 4G aerial and hopefully while there I'll get an opportunity to take a pic or two of the screen.

It looks as though there should be a white plastic clip at the top AND bottom of the screen, which appears to aid the slide across when one closes it. I note that the top clip is there but there is no sign of a bottom clip (it's probably lying in the car park at the club I played down in Devon). The mesh doesn't appear to be torn so fingers crossed I haven't screwed it badly enough to warrant a complete replacement. If I am able to source whatever clip(s) are needed perhaps it'll all just come together.

I believe Chris Davies at Premier Motorhomes (which happens to be where I bought the vehicle in the first place) is very knowledgeable about Dethleffs screens, so here's hoping he can sort it out if I can't get a clip for it.

Pics later. Thanks for your responses.

Cheers
Chris

Upvote 0

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Hi there, Andrew. Apologies for not posting the pics I promised. Life has taken over again I'm afraid. I'm off to Dorset tomorrow morning to get the folks at Solar Solutions to fit my new Motorhome WiFi 4G aerial and hopefully while there I'll get an opportunity to take a pic or two of the screen.

It looks as though there should be a white plastic clip at the top AND bottom of the screen, which appears to aid the slide across when one closes it. I note that the top clip is there but there is no sign of a bottom clip (it's probably lying in the car park at the club I played down in Devon). The mesh doesn't appear to be torn so fingers crossed I haven't screwed it badly enough to warrant a complete replacement. If I am able to source whatever clip(s) are needed perhaps it'll all just come together.

I believe Chris Davies at Premier Motorhomes (which happens to be where I bought the vehicle in the first place) is very knowledgeable about Dethleffs screens, so here's hoping he can sort it out if I can't get a clip for it.

Pics later. Thanks for your responses.

Cheers
Chris

Hi Chris, I'm not being optimistic for the sake of it but it sounds as if you've got away with it lightly - my fingers are crossed for you sir.

Best wishes(y)

Andrew

Upvote 0
OP
OP
kenwardc
Aug 6, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend 7057
Exp
Since 2017
Hi Chris, I'm not being optimistic for the sake of it but it sounds as if you've got away with it lightly - my fingers are crossed for you sir.
Thanks so much, Andrew. I've got mine very tightly crossed as well. I have no idea what these items cost to replace but I'm assuming they are not cheap.

All the best
Chris

Upvote 0
OP
OP
kenwardc
Aug 6, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend 7057
Exp
Since 2017
Hi Folks - here are the pics I promised. They are:

Picture 1 - The top of the screen with the clip I found lying on the floor and tried to put back in. It could be upside down or back to front. It simply looked as though it belonged there. It could even be for the bottom of the screen - I have no idea.

Picture 2 - The bottom - there is no clip - if there should be one, it’s probably still lying on the ground in the car park where I managed to shut the door on the screen. Foolish boy!

Picture 3 - Strangely, the lines in the mesh are still straight when the screen is closed even though it’s obviously not sitting properly in the runners.

Any advice would be gratefully received. I really want to get this screen repaired. I've just been quoted €236.79 excluding fitting by Premier Motorhomes, should I want to replace the screen. OUCH! There has to be another way. The mesh doesn't appear to be torn or broken - it looks to me like it's missing properly fitted clips.... here's hoping! :D

Cheers all
Chris

hab_door_screen1.jpg hab_door_screen2.jpg hab_door_screen3.jpg

Upvote 0

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
It looks very much like the one on my Flair, it is made by Tegos GmbH in the south of Germany. I am on my third in 2 years, the cords keep breaking but that's another story. They are pop riveted together and I am told not serviceable. However I have the last one at home in the barn and it will be my winter task to see if I can repair it. If I am wrong yours could be a Horrex. They are serviceable and before I identified that I did not have one of theirs they kindly sent me a complete restringing kit. So they may help you out. If yours is all pop rivets and no screws it is not a Horrex.

Alina Coroian

Horrex Horren BV
Van Hennaertweg 27
2952 CA Alblasserdam

The Netherlands

tel: +31 (0)78 69 33 614

fax: +31 (0)78 69 33 615

www.horrex.nl

Upvote 0
OP
OP
kenwardc
Aug 6, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend 7057
Exp
Since 2017
It looks very much like the one on my Flair, it is made by Tegos GmbH in the south of Germany. They are pop riveted together and I am told not serviceable. However I have the last one at home in the barn and it will be my winter task to see if I can repair it. If I am wrong yours could be a Horrex. They are serviceable and before I identified that I did not have one of theirs they kindly sent me a complete restringing kit. So they may help you out. If yours is all pop rivets and no screws it is not a Horrex.
Many thanks for the response. I've looked at the Horrex website but will need to have a look to see whether it's riveted or screwed. I'll let you know.

All the best
Chris

Upvote 0
OP
OP
kenwardc
Aug 6, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend 7057
Exp
Since 2017
An update to the sad story, 2.5 years later. I had the clips replaced at Premier Motorhome but the screen has never been the same as it was new. It's been "stiff" to pull open and shut and eventually, about a month ago, the cord frayed and snapped. This results in an "unravelling" of the fine cord that keeps everything together and the screen is now no longer serviceable at all. I need to replace it completely. Deathly scared of this as it's apparently not cheap and, if the last "fix" was anything to go by, there is no guarantee that it will ever be perfect again.

We are thinking of popping off to France sometime in August or September and I definitely want it working by then. Any suggestions for a proper fix very gratefully accepted.

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
3 of the cords frayed and broke on ours. I stripped it down and re-corded it with kevlar kite string, but it is not a job for the faint hearted.

There are quite a few secondhand Hartal door flyscreens on eBay if you search for caravan door fly screen and motorhome door fly screen.
Most sellers state dimension, you never know, it might be your lucky day. (y)

Upvote 0

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
I've got instructions for fixing the fly screen. It comes from MMM magazine and Jim doesn't think it should be put on a public forum but if you pm me I will send them to you.
We fixed ours and several other people have managed it. I think there are some instructions in Resources but I haven't looked at them may or may not be the same as mine. It's worth a try as the whole unit is expensive to replace.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
I sympathise ... although a different make and model, the screen fitted to our 2019 PVC is a classic example of rubbish engineering.

Fragile, weak, fiddly ..... horrible things. Ours lasted 3 months before requiring the first of no doubt many, bodge repairs. If ours failed I think I’d be tempted to rig up something that could be unrolled and velcroed into the space..?

Upvote 0

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Wind got ours.
clip on bottom slide broke.
A small nut and bolt fixed it. Luckily!

Upvote 0
Jan 24, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Sold 😟
Exp
1990-2023
Hi there

I'm embarrassed but more angry with myself. I broke my lovely habitation door flyscreen on my Dethleffs Trend (2016 reg) and wondered if anyone knows how/where/who to go to to get a new one fitted?

How did I break it? I pulled the hab door shut before making sure that the screen was fully retracted. <grumble>

Any ideas appreciated...

PM sent

Upvote 0
OP
OP
kenwardc
Aug 6, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend 7057
Exp
Since 2017
I've got instructions for fixing the fly screen. It comes from MMM magazine and Jim doesn't think it should be put on a public forum but if you pm me I will send them to you.
We fixed ours and several other people have managed it. I think there are some instructions in Resources but I haven't looked at them may or may not be the same as mine. It's worth a try as the whole unit is expensive to replace.
PM on way! ;)

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I re-strung ours with the 550lb - 2.1mm kevlar string but found it a little to large a diameter and the flyscreen is stiffer to operate than I would have liked, so I would recommend that you use the 300lb - 1.5mm kevlar string if you go the kevlar string route.

Amazon product ASIN B01AZBIOR4

Upvote 0

JnJ

Mar 15, 2019
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
Cord snapped in ours in middle of screen. I repaired it with 1.5mm waxed cord. Bought it on ebay for a couple of £s.
Took screen out and carefully dismantled it, drew diagram of where cords ran , 2 cords running in opposite directions. Did rough measurement and ordered cord. Used about 7 - 8m I think. Restrung through mesh with darning needle. Put it back together and worked better than ever.

Joy

Upvote 0
OP
OP
kenwardc
Aug 6, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend 7057
Exp
Since 2017
An update to my sad story... I ended up just getting the fly screen replaced at the noble cost of £206 squid. I swear - if I ever allow the door to slam on the new screen and break it, I'll stand in front of the MH and get the wife to run me over!

Thanks to all for your replies.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
if I ever allow the door to slam on the new screen and break it, I'll stand in front of the MH and get the wife to run me over!
If you want to do a service to humanity, you could get the designer of that mess and run him over first. Somebody was paid good money to design that.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back