Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Hankook tyres:thumb::thumb:
After lots of research hubby got these (we sell tyres so quite well informed!) and haven't looked back - infact bought 2 to start with and just bought another 4 before we came away to Europe a couple of months ago.
Tag axle & FWD but not had to be towed off a field yet, neither has jaws who has the same fitted to his.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Hankook tyres:thumb::thumb:
After lots of research hubby got these (we sell tyres so quite well informed!) and haven't looked back - infact bought 2 to start with and just bought another 4 before we came away to Europe a couple of months ago.
Tag axle & FWD but not had to be towed off a field yet, neither has jaws who has the same fitted to his.
I would be interested to know which model Hankook tyres you have.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
This is an interesting isue tyres .To the best of my knowledge any tyre only has to be replaced if the tread is illegal or damage to side walls if not you can drive until one or the other gives way, as time is irrelevant .Obviously personal choice comes into play if for personal reasons you fancy a change.But i am happy to be corrected.:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
I would be interested to know which model Hankook tyres you have.
They are RA 18 VANTRA LT - 10 ply- 116/114 weight rated
summer/winter
Better ride much less noise,better grip in wet and mud than the mich campers i had on
Around £90 each:thumb:
Tony

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
no you should have a tent . hardly worth the expense of tax and insurance .
we will be round for the keys . mount it on a concrete plynth as an ornament . hee hee.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
its my pet hate theres a really nice big merc van near me hasnt moved since it appeared2 years ago although round here its a good bet theyve rented it to there cousins to live in
Whilst my van does low mileage it gets used every day as a static on our smallholding (we don't live there). What people do with their property is up to them, they pay for the right to do as they wish. Many people have a change in circumstances after buying a van, that is up to them nothing for anyone else to get bothered about. Some funsters call my van "the eternal flame" because it never goes out, not true at all just not as much as some.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
clipped........To the best of my knowledge any tyre only has to be replaced if the tread is illegal or damage to side walls if not you can drive until one or the other gives way, as time is irrelevant .Obviously personal choice comes into play if for personal reasons you fancy a change.But i am happy to be corrected.:Smile:
Sorry treetops1,

According to ROSPA, their advice is that tyres should be replaced preferably at 6 x years old, and certainly no more than 10 x years old. I personally would prefer to replace my tyres well within these advised ages, ie, at 5 years, or a maximum of 7 x years.

I try to have the newest and the best quality tyres on the front axle, ie, FWD.

Regards,

Jock.

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
ARRGG
The experts say this, the experts say that
What makes an expert and more importantly who was the first so called expert of anything?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
..x is an unknown factor .
a spert is a drip under pressure .
hopefully that explains it .

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Ex..... as in has been spurt........ a drip under pressure :ROFLMAO:

seriously though, best advice from motoring and safety organisations is based on research and the known consequences of tyre delamination and failure under load. if you rely on a yearly service and mot as many do to consider your tyres safe, then you miss the possibility of the tyre splitting at any time between inspections.

the worst abuse you can subject a tyre to is standing it on one spot for prolonged periods whilst under high load. just what happens with most motorhomes. the suns uv rays will also accelerate delamination of the rubber and we all seem to seek out the sun for holidays.

replacing tyres at 5 or 7 years or when faults are evident is just common sense. you spend many thousands of pounds on your van so risking this and your safety for sake of a few hundred pounds just doesn't make sense

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
Tyres... wot I did.

When I got my MH in February it still had the original Continental Vanco tyres on, now 7 years old and having covered 16000 miles. unsurprisingly they still had lots of tread on and to my untrained eye the sidewalls looked ok.

I wrestled with the dilemma..... leave them on, save the cash, get more wear out of them or change them and be more sure of being safe. I eventually decided to change them... better safe than sorry and all that.

That of course led to the new dilemma of what to change to. My first thought was to replace like with like... but it appears that Continental Vanco's no longer exist as they appear to have been superseded by Vanco 2. Not a big issue and I'd have been happy to get those, but I couldn't find any anywhere in the size I needed.

Through research I became aware that some manufacturers now produce specific 'camping' tyres designed specifically for motorhomes. I know many folks on here have said that you don't need a camping tyre, and that ordinary commercial tyres will do, but I reckoned that there must be some tangible benefit to them if not one, but a number of major manufacturers have gone down that route. Yes they cost a bit more, approx. £20 per tyre, but that doesn't seem a huge amount in the grand scheme of things. I know that I sleep easier knowing that I've tried my best to ensure the safety of myself, my family and other road users.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back