BT WiFi with Fon hotspots - do they work, and are they worth it? (1 Viewer)

Oct 10, 2009
Bishop's Stortford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Since 2011
Recently our Virgin Media contract came to an end and we had not been very happy with the basic service we had paid for. This included a small surcharge for unlimited broadband which took it to just over £40 a month; considerably cheaper than our previous £150 a month all-singing, all-dancing service. Hilary and I discussed what we should do next. We accepted that our broadband demand was greater than the cheap contract could supply so we knew we would have to pay more. My brother had introduced the collaboration between BT and Fon years ago and, after consulting with him, we decided to change our broadband supplier to BT.

We intend to travel more in the future, so the main advantage to us would be using the BT partnership hotspots in the UK, France and a few in Spain. I am posting this today as it's the first time we have been out in the motorhome since the switch. We are sitting in a CS in Wroxham on the banks of the Norfolk Broads using a stronger BT signal than the WiFi supplied in any campsite we have visited. It is early days yet but we are satisfied so far. For those interested in the details of the switch, please read on ...

The BT website is not immediately easy to navigate. It is not obvious but, to see the full range of products, you have to type in your postcode; I assume because some products are not available in all areas. After doing this we could see the full broadband range and decided to go with their Ultrafast service as it was the same price as the slightly slower option, gave £150 gift card, unlimited weekend telephone calls and free use of the BT WiFi with Fon hotspots. We had looked at the hotspot coverage before making this decision and, although it was very limited in Spain, we wish to explore France in the warmer months so this could go a long way to meet our broadband needs when travelling if it worked.

We pressed the right buttons, the computer said yes, and we waited with bated breath for 16th April when the service was due to be connected. We were deluged with texts and emails confirming that the equipment was going to arrive prior to the date and that the engineer would be there at the appointed time. A few days before I realised that I had to have a working aerial for freeview channels, otherwise all we would get was BT Sports included in the package we had paid for. The next morning I was lying face forward on the roof, my head and arms overhanging the gutter, with visions of Rod Hull's fate running through my mind! I successfully cut the aerial where it entered the upstairs bedroom and relocated it to the downstairs TV.

Courtesy of BT the rest of the switch was completely painless and by the evening of the 16th we had TV, broadband and phone, all as before, but now provided by BT.

I only have two complaints, and a strong word of advice.

If you choose a BT package which offers a reward card or money back, take screenshots of your choice and the adjoining offer. I say this because the reward card should have been available to us on connection, but there was no sign of it on our online account. Neither did we receive an email offering it. It took a lengthy online chat (which failed to deliver despite numerous promises) and a subsequent phone call which resulted in 5 emails each confirming different amounts, with a total of £145 being credited to our account. A little nudge from me gave the remaining £5 owed. I felt confident that I was eventually going to get the £150 credit as I had the screen prints to prove it was owed.

The other minor niggle was the continuous flow of texts for two weeks after connection reminding me that the engineer was due to arrive on 16th April!

Despite the extra effort involved, at the moment it appears we made the right choice, but only time will tell if other hotspots are as conveniently located and as strong as this one.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Used For in France in the past but doesn't appear to be so avalible now and unless you are in a own you will need a long range aerial.
Don't bother looking these days with data being so cheap.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Not really given it much thought. But I do know that as we are with KC, Based in Hull, which is not that bad a deal, I get genuine 26mbs regularly, very good for where we are located in the "sticks", we are somewhat restricted as to accessing their "in house" "hot Spots". Which I can get really only get, in and about Hull and Beverley. Changing to B-T (for us) would mean having to have the infrastructure brought in at a cost in excess of £200-00!, last time I enquired!.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Tried fon when it first came out Not very successfully and haven't bothered since as cellular data is so cheap and efficient now.

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
Like others, not really bothered with using it for a while now, but I can recall using it successfully in Portugal, in the middle of Braga, some years ago. Not amazingly fast, from what I recall.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I tried to change to BT about 5 years ago so we could use Fon. The problem I found was that BT's customer service had got even worse than the last time we were with them. I'm a well travelled guy but I couldn't get any sense out of the bits I could understand so in the end I gave up.

But yes cellular is now so cheap and available I rarely bother with any kind of free wifi any more.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Must admit like others I'd given up trying as data is now so cheap. I was too tight to buy a decent aerial so never found it much use abroad. Perhaps if data roaming gets cut after B.... I might reconsider.

Jun 11, 2011
Derby
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840 SE
Exp
bought the Fon box from Fon in the early days before free roaming and very cheap data deals. Could connect to Fon most of the time but the connection was usually restricted so ok for browsing and email etc' but not much else. Just use free WiFi and data now lots better.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Fon no use at all, get a good data SIM, sorted(y)
You can now find WiFi in a lot of French towns and villages, not Fon but still not as good your phone data.
Honestly thought bt Fon didn't exist anymore.

OP
OP
Conal
Oct 10, 2009
Bishop's Stortford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks all for your comments. In a way the use of BT and Fon away from the house is an bonus as the cost of broadband TV and telephone is comparable to other providers. I didn’t mention it in my original post but we were also attracted by the family mobile sim deals and will be getting one of these as the data package is large.

Deleted User
I was supporting my wife walking Hadrians wall while I was in the van working and used BT hotspots to continue working by parking in residential streets. I was even doing video conferencing but did have a WI-FI booster.
Plenty of BT hotspots in residential areas but obviously not in the countryside.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back