BT Openzone for a MH? (1 Viewer)

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I am thinking of changing my home Broadband from Plusnet to BT with openzone .
When out in the Motor home is the BT openzone network any use.

Can people who have it ,turn off any outside use so as to keep their own in house speed up.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
yes I am on it but it doesnt work outside very well, impossable in the van, you have got to be really close to someone who has it and yes you can turn yours off but if you do yours doesnt work on someone elses

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
btw , doesnt make any difference to your speed either way

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
Yes I agree, you need to be within 20 metres or so of someones wifi e.g. parked outside their house so in the middle of a field its useless. Just get a dongle.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Not that it is relevant to your original question of course, but in a way, you are already with BT - they own PlusNet.

dennismartin

Free Member
Jul 26, 2011
hull
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
im a newbie
i have a fon and a wifi extender you can pick up signal from miles away

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
sorry i may be thick but what is a wifi extender

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I've just come back from Leobay (isle of Sheppey) and the owners BT is available at the far end of the site, though a bit weak. I didn't use it because I always forget my password :Doh:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
You DONT need to change to BT..
As mentioned just get a FON... Connect to your existing broadband and you then have access to BT hotspots within UK and Europe.
I am on Orange broadband but have access to BT hotspots when out and about,,,

Broken Link Removed

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
i have a fon and a wifi extender you can pick up signal from[HI] miles away[/HI]

In my experience "Miles away" may be a bit ambitious.

I have the Iboost directional antenna with WiFi. Supposedly one of the best currently on the market.

http://www.motorhomewifi.com/product/iboost-d8-directional-system/

It seems to work up to about one mile as long as you get the direction spot on.

:Smile:

p.s. I have BT and access to all their hotspots and FON and find them pretty useless unless you are virtually sitting right next to the hotspot.

Last edited:

dennismartin

Free Member
Jul 26, 2011
hull
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
im a newbie
In my experience "Miles away" may be a bit ambitious.

I have the Iboost directional antenna with WiFi. Supposedly one of the best currently on the market.

http://www.motorhomewifi.com/product/iboost-d8-directional-system/

It seems to work up to about one mile as long as you get the direction spot on.

:Smile:

p.s. I have BT and access to all their hotspots and FON and find them pretty useless unless you are virtually sitting right next to the hotspot.

if you can get line of sight you can get miles (i have the same as yours )if buildings etc get in the way then not so good

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
So let me get this straight in my head.....

I'm with Sky for my home broadband and can't face changinging to BT.... but if I buy the FON router thingymajig for about £35, and plug it into my Sky router (or the socket and the Sky router into the FON one!) then everyone else on FON can piggyback on my Sky broadband (securely) if they're passing my home, and whilst I am away from home I can piggyback on another FON members broadband cos I'll have been given the code as a FON member myself!

And if I get a wifi extender (is that the same thing as I have heard described as a booster?) I'll be able to access wifi spots over a larger area (trees permitting! LOL)?

What's the catch? Where do I sign?

dennismartin

Free Member
Jul 26, 2011
hull
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
im a newbie

I'm with Sky for my home broadband and can't face changinging to BT.... but if I buy the FON router thingymajig for about £35, and plug it into my Sky router (or the socket and the Sky router into the FON one!) then everyone else on FON can piggyback on my Sky broadband (securely) if they're passing my home, and whilst I am away from home I can piggyback on another FON members broadband cos I'll have been given the code as a FON member myself!

And if I get a wifi extender (is that the same thing as I have heard described as a booster?) I'll be able to access wifi spots over a larger area (trees permitting! LOL)?

no catch and if you take the aerial off the fon there wont be many connecting to your broadband
you can also access some bt

Last edited:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
That's exactly my experience too Callum.

dennismartin said:
if you can get line of sight you can get miles (i have the same as yours )if buildings etc get in the way then not so good
Yep, that's the crucial factor, ie, line of sight.

BTW, I've never found a FON hotspot outside the UK. :Sad:

Cheers,

Jock.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
in Faro airport they have wifi and when you look for connection bt fon is there but it gets as far as asking for your password and thats it, wont connect

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I am thinking of changing my home Broadband from Plusnet to BT with openzone .
When out in the Motor home is the BT openzone network any use.

Can people who have it ,turn off any outside use so as to keep their own in house speed up.

You bet.....and in Portugal...BT open zone linked to fon/zon:thumb:...we are thinking of joining fon in france.....sfr its automatic like BT in the uk:thumb:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
in Faro airport they have wifi and when you look for connection bt fon is there but it gets as far as asking for your password and thats it, wont connect

It does..... and we used it ... at Albufeira spot and fast:thumb: maybe your signal was not good enough...we had a signal booster on

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
That's exactly my experience too Callum.

Yep, that's the crucial factor, ie, line of sight.

BTW, I've never found a FON hotspot outside the UK. :Sad:

Cheers,

Jock.

A lot of your CCc sites are BT openzone.......if you had a booster:RollEyes::winky::winky:...done it been there and got the T shirt:RollEyes:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
It does..... and we used it ... at Albufeira spot and fast:thumb: maybe your signal was not good enough...we had a signal booster on
must of been a bad day then , we used it in Albufeira but got nowt int airport

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

Yes:thumb:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
must of been a bad day then , we used it in Albufeira but got nowt int airport

We was on the campsite wifi....but they was altering the system so they switched off for a short while..so :winky::winky: a few BT members was using the FON network that was even better and faster than the sites excellent wifi..on the Fon web page it asked if you was a bt member...enter code and password:thumb:

OP
OP
J
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
To save me changing to BT Fon
Can anyone give me their BT password please::bigsmile:
I won`t tell anyone else

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
A lot of your CCc sites are BT openzone.......if you had a booster:RollEyes::winky::winky:...done it been there and got the T shirt:RollEyes:
I've had two WiFi boosters for a couple of years now Mel, (with directional and omnidirectional external antennas) but not been on a C&CC site for a long time, and like I say, have never picked up BT FON outside the UK, (France, Germany, or Spain).

At my home location, I can pick up over 20 routers with one booster, and over 40 routers with another more powerful booster.

Regards,

Jock.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I've had two WiFi boosters for a couple of years now Mel, (with directional and omnidirectional external antennas) but not been on a C&CC site for a long time, and like I say, have never picked up BT FON outside the UK, (France, Germany, or Spain).

At my home location, I can pick up over 20 routers with one booster, and over 40 routers with another more powerful booster.

Regards,

Jock.

Hi Jock...
I have the directional booster from motorhome wifi...as many other members have...I place mine on the roof of the motorhome and point in the direction I have the best signal...I am not sure what booster's you have, and why you are having trouble picking up BT open zone in the UK and FON/ZON in other countries....All I can say the booster I have is working for me.....I hope you have better results in the future...

Now in France as I understand it FON is coupled with SFR..like FON is coupled with BT in the UK ....and I think it is ZON in Portugal.....we see lots of SFR hotspots in France, So I am hoping these will let me connect to FON/SFR
I am with Orange/France telecom landline in France.....I would like to have SFR landline connection with the FON connection... but because France telecom own the lines and maintenance....I with many other residents that have change providers find after about a week everything goes wrong...you end up with nothing but large bills from the provider that you change to, high priced calls trying to get connected.and possible court action if you do not pay the bill even though you have had no internet....France telecom say all is ok to the provider with there lines, To you they do not want to know as you are not a customer.....So after 5 to 8 weeks you say enough is enough and end up going back to France telecom....what a engineer said of FT Oh we switched you off at the exchange:Doh::Doh:you are no longer a customer....
So if you have a provider in France make sure they also have the line rental as well.
So I think to buy a FON box is the only option for us.

see link out of the French/English paper

Mel

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 7

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
clipped........I am not sure what booster's you have, and why you are having trouble picking up BT open zone in the UK
No problems picking up BT Hubs Mel, but often they are too far away to connect, as the hubs only transmit to a max of 30 metres. Today, I'm on an old airfield quite a way from residential areas, so no BT Hubs within range. On Wednesday, I was on an industrial estate with a full signal to BT Business Hub, but they'd obviously opted out of FON/BT WiFi. :Sad:

I'll try the FON thing again when in Germany during September. I don't know how up to date this list is from Wikipedia of participating roaming partners, (scroll down).

Cheers,

Jock.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back