Bt Broadband Speed (1 Viewer)

Nov 23, 2011
durham
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
since 2006
Ive been with BT for about 15 years and recently received a letter relating to an increase in the broad band cost and inclusive calls. As this is a change in the contract I can withdraw without any penalty. So informed BT to invoke the 30 day intention of leaving and got the usual about other providers not being as good as BT and that my broadband speed may reduce if I change. Now I usually have a download speed of 5.5 mbps on the standard broadband with BT but after the contact with BT I checked the speed and it had increased to 7.8 mbps. Could BT have increased the speed to discourage me from changing.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Yes. They have the ability to do that. My provider umped my speed following a period of a cable fault with the land line. When it was repaired, I contacted them, they checked, told me to wait 20 mins, and it then shot up. (y)

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
The slight increase is probably a fluke with coincidentally less use in your area at that time.

5.5 is snail like speed i.m.o. & a new supplier will be using the same antiquated B.T. copper line & deliver the same / similar speed - unless there's a fibre upgrade in your area

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We had a similar experience with BT when we moved to our present house. I have gone in to the problems elsewhere on the Forum but, for this particular item .....

We checked our line speed after three weeks of being here and found we were getting 4.5 Mbps. On deciding to leave we had the same spiel from BT and, on checking, our speed had increased to 7.8 Mbps. We left anyway because of other issues.

On joining up with Sky we consistently exceed 14mbps. BT had told us this was impossible because of copper wiring and distance from the exchange !

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
IMG_0502.PNG

Not wishing to boast , but this is my speed a moment ago with bt broadband(y)

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
I posted something similar about changing contracts with Virgin Media like you I am a long standing customer this is what I did.
  1. Researched my option with one of the many web sites such as broadband choices etc.
  2. Looked at costs (I did exclude Talk Talk based on feedback but no harm in using them as a lever)
  3. I had to cancel my contract with VM and go with BT but I suspect you might not have to do that.
  4. When BT submitted the request to transfer my number VM came back to me with a stonking offer I couldn't refuse so as it was within the 14 day cooling off period, if you do it on the web, I canceled with BT who even offered to drop their introductory price further!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I'm with Zen on fibre + copper from the cabinet (about 200 metres) & it is normally nearer 30 than 20Mbps. TBH you have to be a demanding user to notice any difference after around 12Mbps.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
TBH you have to be a demanding user to notice any difference after around 12Mbps.

Mine is usually around the 12 mark with TalkTalk's copper BT cable, anything above 6 seems to be OK even when streaming video.
I am amaze that average households people pay a premium for 20+ speeds when it's never needed, unless you have a house full of kids playing download games 24/7

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Mine is usually around the 12 mark with TalkTalk's copper BT cable, anything above 6 seems to be OK even when streaming video.
I am amaze that average households people pay a premium for 20+ speeds when it's never needed, unless you have a house full of kids playing download games 24/7
Just on a copper connect we could only get 2.7 meg as we are 1.5 miles from the exchange which was far to slow for a lot of sites these days so we were forced to upgrade. Our daughter 300-400 yards down the road and nearer the exchange gets 4meg everything works fine on that. Actually cost us a £1 less as we dropped our anytime calls as nearly always use mobiles now.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Actually I am now on infinity with download speeds as per my post above, and believe it or not with being out of contract they offered it to me at less than I was paying for normal broadband to stay;)

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
You're all very lucky that's all I can say. We get less than 1mbps. No point in changing provider as they all use BT. As a stop gap the whole village brings it in wirelessly and we get about 10mbps but it is expensive.

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
About the same here as above with B.T. fibre (y)
We are are only the other side of the valley from you Mark and we are lucky to get 3 megabits with talk talk who have waived the exit fee for us to go somewhere else as we have had so many issues with them the main one being the caller display which they say we can't have even though the people we bought the bungalow from had it.
At the moment we are using our motorhome 3 mifi which gets up,to 20 megabits which makes talk talk a joke.

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
I can speak from experience that when i signed up with BT a few yrs ago it was mainly because of this super dooper fast broadband they were offering, when the techy installed it all he did a speed test and he said how impressive it was (i did not know what my speed was with Talk Talk (my previous supplier) I was chuffed to bits when he told me this as i play alot of on line gaming and internet speed sometimes can be a matter of life or death (when playing call of duty) :LOL::LOL: Anyway a long story short - I could tell no difference what so ever in speed from BT/Talk Talk - and when i left BT to go with Sky i still couldnt tell any loss or gain in speed either gaming/browsing/streaming or downloading anything, but i do know for a fact that they can increase someones speed or slow it down, and they can do it over the phone while they are talking to you, have experience this when i had problems while with BT.
BT are expensive, i was paying £50 a month just for phone and broadband, i get more than that for less money off Sky - who are also a rip off (after being with them for a few yrs now - getting rid of them too soon, just gonna get internet and nowt else for around £20

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just tested mine:
upload_2017-3-10_14-8-19.png

Bearing in mind that this is my '3' mobile broadband connection and I'm at the far end of our log bungalow so it's going through various walls and doors to get to me I'm quite happy!

It may not seem like a lot but it's working fine, no problem downloading or uploading, watching Youtube etc ...

It only costs me £20 a month for 40gb ...(y)

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Whatever this means - dont mean anything to me just numbers after words :LOL:
Ping
<1 ms
Download
7.61 Mbps
Upload
1.16 Mbps

Just tried it again an got completly different figures - WTH :rolleyes:

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
We are are only the other side of the valley from you Mark and we are lucky to get 3 megabits with talk talk who have waived the exit fee for us to go somewhere else as we have had so many issues with them the main one being the caller display which they say we can't have even though the people we bought the bungalow from had it.
At the moment we are using our motorhome 3 mifi which gets up,to 20 megabits which makes talk talk a joke.

We upgraded to B.T. fibre around a year ago iirc - they do charge extra tho' but money well spent, as you say it was grim @ 3 - 5 mbps before.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I can speak from experience that when i signed up with BT a few yrs ago it was mainly because of this super dooper fast broadband they were offering, when the techy installed it all he did a speed test and he said how impressive it was (i did not know what my speed was with Talk Talk (my previous supplier) I was chuffed to bits when he told me this as i play alot of on line gaming and internet speed sometimes can be a matter of life or death (when playing call of duty) :LOL::LOL: Anyway a long story short - I could tell no difference what so ever in speed from BT/Talk Talk - and when i left BT to go with Sky i still couldnt tell any loss or gain in speed either gaming/browsing/streaming or downloading anything, but i do know for a fact that they can increase someones speed or slow it down, and they can do it over the phone while they are talking to you, have experience this when i had problems while with BT.
BT are expensive, i was paying £50 a month just for phone and broadband, i get more than that for less money off Sky - who are also a rip off (after being with them for a few yrs now - getting rid of them too soon, just gonna get internet and nowt else for around £20
I now get phone, TV , broadband, all calls except to mobiles, line rental for £39 a month. Oh BT sport aswell

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
You're all very lucky that's all I can say. We get less than 1mbps. No point in changing provider as they all use BT. As a stop gap the whole village brings it in wirelessly and we get about 10mbps but it is expensive.
I can't agree.

When we changed to Sky we got double the speed over the same lines, (see post above).

I'm not suggesting you go to Virgin but would recommend checking out reports on the internet. BT tried to keep us by pointing out that all services came over their network. Virgin still provided double the speed.

Edit

Just reread your post. If you have to use a wireless connection then my comments above can't apply.

Apologies.o_O

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
And I must add they gave me a fiver a month off for signing up again , all changes next year admitted, but I shall probably down grade again then.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I am with TalkTalk for phone line and broadband, internet costs £12 a month and works OK for films and TV

Peter
We were with Talk Talk. They were OK(ish) until we left them. They continued to charge us for four months after we left. Although we fought it we eventually gave up, paid them for two months just to get rid of them.

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
We upgraded to B.T. fibre around a year ago iirc - they do charge extra tho' but money well spent, as you say it was grim @ 3 - 5 mbps before.
We've been told we can't have fibre up here:( but we have been told that we are guaranteed 10mps and should get between 13-15 which is far better than we get at the moment.

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
We were with Talk Talk. They were OK(ish) until we left them. They continued to charge us for four months after we left. Although we fought it we eventually gave up, paid them for two months just to get rid of them.
We've been told by the ceo's office that we will have no exits fees but as soon as our final bill is paid Inshall make sure I cancel the direct debit.

Box Boy

Free Member
Jul 3, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Globecar Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2010
We use Plus Net which connect via BT infinity only have the cheap deal nearly always get the full 38 meg.
Tested my Plus Net (copper telephone) got 13.22 meg. Lenny is that because you are nearer the exchange than me :(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back