Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
I will be in Brugge if thats OK would like to drop in and put aface to a name.

Mel

Dubiousp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Eldis Autoquest
Exp
First
Always fancied a Christmas market trip, not used the van a lot this year and still pretty new to it really. The internet always shows excellent pictures of the European Christmas time, is it worth the trip, is it best for ferries from Dover, are the ferries pretty reliable

Is the shopping good

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
scousebird

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Always fancied a Christmas market trip, not used the van a lot this year and still pretty new to it really. The internet always shows excellent pictures of the European Christmas time, is it worth the trip, is it best for ferries from Dover, are the ferries pretty reliable

Is the shopping good

It's not just about the shopping, the atmosphere is lovely and lots of markets are in cities that are wonderful to visit anyway. We love Bruges so that's where we're going. And of course there's the chocolate :winky:

We use the tunnel, not the ferries but unless the weather is really bad the ferries are reliable.

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
The markets are worth a visit if you have never been. Bruges is close enough to the tunnel for a weekend trip and it is very festive with the markets, Ice rink etc plus the usual Bruges activities beer, chocolate, lace, waterways and the like.

As well as Camping Memling there is a Aire very close to town and next to the train station if you wanted to explore Brussels or Gent.

kelv

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2014
leicester
Funster No
MH
Carthago 145
Exp
Just seen this post we like the idea of going to a Xmas market for the weekend how far is the campsite from the market

OP
OP
scousebird

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Just seen this post we like the idea of going to a Xmas market for the weekend how far is the campsite from the market

Its a 10 minute bus ride. The bus stop is a short walk from the campsite and it takes you right into the main market square and there is a garage on the corner of the road where you can buy 9 tickets for the price of 8 or something like that. The site is very helpful with information, they even have a printed instruction poster on the wall that you can photograph with you phone and take the info with you!

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003

Camping Memling is about a 30 - 40 minute walk away from the market.
There is a bus stop a short walk away from the site, the bus will take you into
the city centre.
The aire is a 15 minute walk away from the market.

kelv

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2014
leicester
Funster No
MH
Carthago 145
Exp
Thanks brisey good info

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
But not as much chocolate as Bruges :clap::clap::clap:

Yup, you've got me there.

Love Bruges but never bought chocolate there, how sad is that.

Bruges for us is hot sunny day, sat in the main square eating good food and people watching, going there in the winter does not appeal, hence might as well save a load of cash and go to Manchester.

OP
OP
scousebird

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Yup, you've got me there.

Love Bruges but never bought chocolate there, how sad is that.

Bruges for us is hot sunny day, sat in the main square eating good food and people watching, going there in the winter does not appeal, hence might as well save a load of cash and go to Manchester.

But you can sit in the main square drinking hot chocolate or glugwein :clap::clap::clap:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
u can sit in a square in manchester and drink hot whiskey washed down with a pint of the black stuff

PORKSTER

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
I have never stayed at the Brugge air but I have walked past. I couldn't really see how it all works but the aire looked packed proper packed like sardines real not appealing. However just outside was some other vans parked more sensibly that may have been a private aire or something like. I am sure someone will know I stayed in a hotel about 2 mile from station I drove to station and that allows you a free return bus ticket. Now I was never asked for my carpark ticket once so if your at aire you could bag a free ride but its a nice walk anyhow.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
We've been to a few Belgium markets including Bruges my only advice is take loads of money and wrap up warm, I've NEVER been as cold as in Bruges in December.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
And that's coming from someone living in west Wales. Thanks for the tip.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I got severely ripped off at a hotel in Bruges a few years back. It was quite an expensive place and I naturally assumed that breakfast and parking were included. It wasn't. Breakfast was €13 Each and parking €10 a day.

I will definitely go in the van next time and stop at the aire.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
We are booked into a hotel this time - for speed really as we are just going for the weekend.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I concur with the prices and the cold in Bruges - also the centre is mainly cobbled, so for heaven's sake, wear trainers or similar.

Slightly nearer home, Birmingham not only have a huge German Xmas Market - but also Cadbury's !! LOL

OP
OP
scousebird

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
I concur with the prices and the cold in Bruges - also the centre is mainly cobbled, so for heaven's sake, wear trainers or similar.

Slightly nearer home, Birmingham not only have a huge German Xmas Market - but also Cadbury's !! LOL

Sandwich to Bruges - 131 miles
Sandwich to Birmingham - 201 miles

So Bruges is actually closer and doesn't include the M25, M1 & M6! :roflmto:

Seriously I'd much rather be in Bruges than Birmingham, they both begin with B but I think that's the only similarity.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
We'd love to do this, Christmas Market time or not:) We've been to Bruges twice but not ventured abroad with the van yet.

I notice Big Map posted last night that they'd just been and there were 3 markets but only found 2 - is this correct as we've only found the one in the main square?

Only a poor substitute but at least you can get a little peek on the webcam here, I do like skyline:)

(Oh usually looks at this every day to get his Valletta fix(y))

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back