Brownhills disgruntled customer in court (1 Viewer)

Jan 26, 2010
Conwy, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Relay self build
Exp
Since 2007
This appeared in The Nottingham Post recently

Broken Link Removed
NEW motorhome owner Michael Hayes caused £39,000 damage to 14 caravans in a revenge attack on a dealership.

The jobless 54-year-old claimed faults were not fixed after he spent a £51,000 inheritance on a posh home on wheels.

He returned to the Newark-based Brownhills and took out his frustration with a knife, a black marker pen, paint and spray.

Nottingham Crown Court heard he damaged 14 motorhomes – slashing seats, daubing them with graffiti and painting beds black.

He was caught by a sales assistant in July. Black paint had stained his fingers and he had a can of spray paint in one hand and a knife in a bag.

Yesterday, Hayes was jailed for a year after admitting criminal damage.

As well as the damage, the company says it lost £52,000 in revenue while the vehicles were off for repair.

Sentencing Hayes, of no fixed address, Recorder Shaun Smith said it was not for him to decide who was right or wrong.

"I accept you felt so strongly about the fact that you were right and the company was wrong but the way of going about it is completely unacceptable," he said.

Hayes claimed after buying his motorhome that there were ten faults and only one had been fixed, the court heard.

"He felt let down by Brownhills, where he bought a motorhome in January 2013," said prosecutor Lisa Hardy.

Clarkson Baptiste, in mitigation, said Hayes had let his anger get the better of him and had chosen not to take the matter to the civil court.

The money Hayes spent on his motorhome was inherited from his father, who died two years ago, and was the largest investment his client made with the cash.

Hayes asked for sympathetic understanding for the motivation behind what he did.

"He has suffered loss to himself," said Mr Baptiste.

"He is suffering from depression and sleep deprivation.

"He is living off £7,000 in his back account from the residue of the estate. He is unemployed.

"He part-exchanged the vehicle for £36,000. He lost £15,000 as a result of having to purchase another home."

Brownhills declined to comment on the case when contacted by the Post.

Broken Link Removed
Read more at Broken Link Removed

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Brownhills come true to form yet again, does not seem to matter who owns it the staff and attitude to customers and non customer service is the same. 12 months he got off light.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
you can beat up old ladies and get less than that.let him out.it costs more to keep him in.and fine Brownhills for not giving the service they promise.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Can't condone the approach but I do have some sympathy having made the mistake of buying my last van from Brownhills. I too got extremely frustrated with the servicing team who wouldn't admit there was a fault on my new van. Really lost my temper on the phone and only got some satisfaction when I got the salesman to refer to the MD. My advice, don't consider Brownhills for your next purchase!!

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
I don't condone what he did but can see why he did it .....I've never bought a motorhome from a dealer before but my sisters liaka came from knowepark caravans who were a complete nightmare they basically offered no help or compensation for misselling her van had to involve trading standards in the end but still not a satisfactory result.

I'd never buy from any dealer as they promise the earth and deliver nowt

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
Brownhills declined to comment on the case when contacted by the Post.
I dont know if its possible but maybe he can now get a case put togeather and go through the courts the right way?
iam sure the tax man will pick up the bill.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I've got no sympathy for him at all. Prison is where he deserves to be. Cowardly criminal damage to private or company property is not the answer to anything. Same mentality as those who key cars.
Agreed Jim, but, I'm trying to see this from the guy's perspective a bit. Spent all his inheritance, bought a pup, feels really let down, nothing left to sue with, and probably 'taking a pop' not in his character. Must admit having a tad of sympathy with him :(. After all, object achieved, he got Brownhills where it hurts, in the wallet.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
I've got no sympathy for him at all. Prison is where he deserves to be. Cowardly criminal damage to private or company property is not the answer to anything. Same mentality as those who key cars.

i disagree sometimes its the only way a large company like brownHILLS have the resources to say f**l you and tie you up in the courts this has given them the bad publicity they deserve SHOP AT BROWNHILLS AT YOUR OWN PERIL well done that man (y)(y)

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Sad really but I read somewhere that a disgruntled purchaser of either a car or motorhome had so many faults which it was said would not be repaired by the company. So the complainant sat outside the main showroom on a public road with the said faulty vehicle inviting prospective purchasers to the company to have a look round their vehicle and the dispute was outlined to those prospective customers. I am lead to understand that the company resolved the issue very quickly as the salesman had very little customers to deal with.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Sad really but I read somewhere that a disgruntled purchaser of either a car or motorhome had so many faults which it was said would not be repaired by the company. So the complainant sat outside the main showroom on a public road with the said faulty vehicle inviting prospective purchasers to the company to have a look round their vehicle and the dispute was outlined to those prospective customers. I am lead to understand that the company resolved the issue very quickly as the salesman had very little customers to deal with.
Brownhills had a depot/showroom just outside Preston. There 'prestige' and reputation went very quickly down the pan, and they closed down, (whatever the official reason was).
Personally, I have bought bits off fleabay from them, only because every now and again they get rid of stuff that fits my ancient Hymer.

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
I have a massive amount of sympathy for the guy. What he did was totally wrong, obviously, but in all honesty how many otherwise good people have been driven to total desperation by the kind of customer service that has become the norm these days.

If you have a bad experience once it isn't too bad, even the second and third times are manageable with some patience, but when it keeps happening time and time again it is enough to make even Mother Theresa go postal.

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)

A more sensible approach which does work. There has been a couple of such protests, one report on Facts was locked (but you can still find reference to it and who the dealer was) and withdrawn but one in Daily Mail is here to see..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ide-cardealership-sold-faulty-motor-home.html

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Same old story. They grab the cash, then fob you off. If you buy something new that is faulty, you be offered a full refund, plus any out of pocket expenses..........
Problems seem to arise because the PDI inspections are either non existent, or just a joke.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Same old story. They grab the cash, then fob you off. If you buy something new that is faulty, you be offered a full refund, plus any out of pocket expenses..........
Problems seem to arise because the PDI inspections are either non existent, or just a joke.

Don't just blame the dealers.. they are not paid to snag major faults that should be put right at the factory.. I'm sure they are just as peed off selling vans that are frankly not fit for purpose as those who buy them.. why they still do is a puzzle.

A PDI will not pick up a badly built van that will leak as soon as it drives though a puddle.. A PDI Is to give everything the once over and rectify small faults or make minor adjustments..

It's down to piss poor production methods , it's also down to us Brits who don't complain enough and don't vote with our feet..
It reminds me of the car industry in the 60s and 70s .. it took the Japs to sort it out.. When I buy a PVC next year it won't be made by a British company.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm still not convinced, Jim. The PDI should be recorded onto a pre-printed list, then signed off by the person carrying out the checks. A copy SHOULD then be passed on to the customer. I don't think that's happening these days If the guy in question is right about the seat belt, well, another ball game comes into play here, which includes the Vehicle Inspectorate, who can levy HUGE fines on those supplying faulty safety equipment.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
sorry, no way to behave in a dispute. Regardless of how bad you feel you have been treated taking the law in to your own hands in this way will only ever result in prosecution.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Don't just blame the dealers.. they are not paid to snag major faults that should be put right at the factory.. I'm sure they are just as peed off selling vans that are frankly not fit for purpose as those who buy them.. why they still do is a puzzle.

A PDI will not pick up a badly built van that will leak as soon as it drives though a puddle.. A PDI Is to give everything the once over and rectify small faults or make minor adjustments..

It's down to piss poor production methods , it's also down to us Brits who don't complain enough and don't vote with our feet..
It reminds me of the car industry in the 60s and 70s .. it took the Japs to sort it out.. When I buy a PVC next year it won't be made by a British company.

Whoever the manufacturer , the customers contract is with the dealer he purchased from and the dealer has the responsibility under that contract to provide a product that is fit for the purpose intended.
It seems that Brownhills have little idea what customer service and satisfaction is and unfortunately this guy was at the end of his tether, but still the wrong action.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Whoever the manufacturer , the customers contract is with the dealer he purchased from and the dealer has the responsibility under that contract to provide a product that is fit for the purpose intended.
It seems that Brownhills have little idea what customer service and satisfaction is and unfortunately this guy was at the end of his tether, but still the wrong action.

no question that is correct.. but if a dealer is overwhelmed with bad vans or faults that take a lot of time and money to rectify is it all the dealers fault ?

I'm not siding with Brownhills .. I have no personal knowledge or them, but have read enough to avoid.. however I try to see it from both angles. If other dealers can 'get it right' so too also should Brownhills

Last edited:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
no question that is correct.. but if a dealer is overwhelmed with bad vans or faults that take a lot of time and money to rectify is it all the dealers fault ?

I'm not siding with Brownhills .. I have no personal knowledge or them, but have read enough to avoid.. however I try to see it from both angles. If other dealers can 'get it right' so too also should Browhills
Well, maybe they should become agents for a decent manufacturer then?????

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004

I'm not siding with Brownhills .. I have no personal knowledge or them, but have read enough to avoid.. however I try to see it from both angles. If other dealers can 'get it right' so too also should Brownhills

Jim , if the dealer gets little or no support from the manufacturer then he should withdraw from selling that product.
The dealer always carries the can for sub standard products and if this is too costly he should pull the plug.
There are plenty of manufacturers out there.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
This thread only involves one man who said his complaints about faults on his new mh were not rectified when he asked. Unless I have failed to read the newspaper account properly the unrectified faults have not been stated and so we cannot judge what the faults were, leading to his unlawful behavior.

In defense of Brownhills from whom we bought our motorhome in April of this year I have found nothing to complain about. When certain faults were mentioned to them they arranged to have them fixed immediately whilst we were still on the premises.
I make this comment, not in support of Brownhills, but so anyone who reads this thread may have a more balanced view of a dealer who I am sure does have some satisfied customers.

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992

Yes to be honest it is ......because if they get repeated problems they are the ones to put the pressure on the manufacturer to sort it out.

As most buyers have no idea of the technical side they trust the dealer to know and back up what they are selling and if a problem help them to deal with it.

It's certainly not the buyers responsibility

When you buy something new you expect it to be 100% right ..anything else just isn't good enough and to be honest British service is shit .....maybe if more acted this way things would change.
Personally I'd have parked outside their showroom with a huge banner and a megaphone made sure every potential customer knew the probs I'd had with them

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
send the guy a Funster sticker, this should assist with his anger management if he logs on. lets see how he feels.:whistle2:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back