Brownhills disgruntled customer in court (2 Viewers)

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
I don't condone what he did but can see why he did it .....I've never bought a motorhome from a dealer before but my sisters liaka came from knowepark caravans who were a complete nightmare they basically offered no help or compensation for misselling her van had to involve trading standards in the end but still not a satisfactory result.

I'd never buy from any dealer as they promise the earth and deliver nowt

Having had a :cry:Laika:cry: from new myself following my 'second' retirement I would suggest that it's the poor build quality of the van coupled with poor dealer backup that's caused your sister problems.
As an aside we bought :cry:it:cry:from Lowdhams who did their very, very best with a seriously flawed product.

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
Having had a :cry:Laika:cry: from new myself following my 'second' retirement I would suggest that it's the poor build quality of the van coupled with poor dealer backup that's caused your sister problems.
As an aside we bought :cry:it:cry:from Lowdhams who did their very, very best with a seriously flawed product.
Well there wasn't anything physically wrong with the van in fact I'd say it has pretty good build quality on this model .......They just sold it with full service history but when collected vehicle the history had somehow been lost , they claimed the van was sold as seen and refused to do anything about it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Well there wasn't anything physically wrong with the van ....They just sold it with full service history but when collected vehicle the history had somehow been lost , they claimed the van was sold as seen and refused to do anything about it

My commiserations, but of the seven vans I've owned:cry: it:cry: was the worst by an Irish mile!

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
My commiserations, but of the seven vans I've owned:cry: it:cry: was the worst by an Irish mile!
I suppose like everything it depends on the model .....It wouldn't be my choice but it seems to have served her well and after I tracked down all the past history it now has most of it :)

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Whilst this guy was definitely acting outside of the law I really do have sympathy with him,I had the same problem with FREEBORN MOTOR HOMES SOUTHAMPTON who also deserve naming and shaming for selling me a heap of s**t then just treated me with contempt when I went about getting it sorted in a lawful manner,and the manufacturer,Auto-Trail weren't much better in resolving my issuses I was so pi**ed off with never ending problem I changed the vehicle after 18 months and suffered a £15,000 loss as a result, so I say good enough for you BROWNHILLS I hope you and the likes of FREEBORN MOTORHOMES get the negative publicity that you deserve.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Don't just blame the dealers.. they are not paid to snag major faults that should be put right at the factory.. I'm sure they are just as peed off selling vans that are frankly not fit for purpose as those who buy them.. why they still do is a puzzle.

Anything with major faults gets rejected

A PDI will not pick up a badly built van that will leak as soon as it drives though a puddle.. A PDI Is to give everything the once over and rectify small faults or make minor adjustments..

A proper PDI and product knowledge will pick up faults by a qualified technician before it gets handed over, yes no one has a crystal ball but one can forsee some problems

It's down to piss poor production methods , it's also down to us Brits who don't complain enough and don't vote with our feet..
It reminds me of the car industry in the 60s and 70s .. it took the Japs to sort it out.. When I buy a PVC next year it won't be made by a British company.

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Just what is a pvc? I keep seeing it round here and I bet il go duh of course when someone tells me .....but nope im stumped

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
PVC = Panel Van Conversion

Basis commercial van with a habitation interior

Coachbuilt which is a brand new habitation body built on a commercial van chassis keeping the drivers cab.

An A class is a complete body built on a commercial van chassis with a custom built drivers cab on it,

Peter

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
I'm no fan of Brownhills. In fact I would say I actively dislike them.

However as a businessman I do think there are two sides to these matters...

The bulk of the money paid on a new vehicle goes to the manufacturer (after it has spent a few days in the dealers account). The dealer is expected to resolve issues found after delivery and takes a hit on their normal labour rates because they've made some money from the sale.

Broken beds, warped timber doors, loose catches, faulty lights and suchlike do not make a unit "unfit" because they are easily resolved by a dealer that is reactive to the customers issues and proactive in ensuring these problems are fixed as soon as possible.

On the other side

Some customers don't handle situations well. Some go off something garraty and become hard to deal with them. Recently at work I had a customer giving me untold grief and personal abuse about a light fixture he had bought. We offer to pay reasonable out of pocket expenses if someone has a genuine claim. We refund the cost of the item, did not offer anything for out of pocket expenses and put his email address on our spam list.

So if you're buying new or old I suggest going to someone you can trust. Anyone looking for feedback on a dealer can find it all online. But regardless of where you go ensure you keep a level head and are considerate of the process involved when speaking about issues with a dealer.

NB I did laugh though. Brownfools ha

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back