Bluemanc100

Free Member
Aug 13, 2019
Hawarden near Chester
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 155
Exp
MH Novice (but a seasoned veteran driver)
Has anybody got a Brooks Cambium saddle? I wondered if the hype is justified?

I have a leather C17 Brooks saddle but might try a C15 Cambium all weather version instead once I finally get back on the bike.

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
I have four bikes all of which have Brooks saddles, you can take from that my ar$e has been carefully moulded over the last forty years riding on them. I had a titanium railed Swift fitted to my "summer" bike, a Ridley Noah but it never looked quite right, so purely on a vanity basis I switched it to a C13, it looks a lot better, BUT it isn't as comfortable as the Swifts. The Ridley is an aggressive bike and you do "feel" the road with every bit of gravel noticeable, with the C13 this is tiring and on any ride over 50 miles I start to think I should switch back to the Swift - but crucially its looks nicer. So the jury is still out.

Mar 26, 2018
Ormskilrk
Funster No
MH
Swift Voyager 685FB
I have heard the Cambium can wear out your trousers as they are quite rough.

Got a couple of B17 myself due to wider than average sit bones.....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
I’ve had a C15 Cambium on one of my older bikes for a few years and I reckon it’s the most comfortable of the traditional shape saddles ? Great quality, comfy and no extra wear noticed. its no featherweight though.

For me, ISM saddles are the best overall and I’ve got them on the bikes I use the most... avoids any weight sitting on the ahem ....“fleshy” bits

1590014537280.jpeg

Mar 26, 2018
Ormskilrk
Funster No
MH
Swift Voyager 685FB
What’s considered average

Measure your sit bones.....

Put a piece of tinfoil on a folded towel on something solid, like a low table, and sit down on it. Lift your knees off the floor to make a good impression then stand up. You should see two distinct impressions. Draw a circle around both then put a dot in the centre. Measure between the dots. Average is 90 - 110mm. If you then add 20 - 30mm depending on your riding position and for movement you get a saddle of 110 - 140mm. Average saddle width is 140mm!

My sit bones are 140mm so I need a saddle 160 - 170mm.....and a Brooks B17 is 175mm, result!

Handlebar width......

Measure between your acromium processes. That's the bony bit your arm hangs from at the end of your scapula. Average is 390 - 410mm. Mine are 520mm so the biggest drop handlebar I can get is 440mm unless it's custom made for me :)

It must be nice to be average.....

Mar 26, 2018
Ormskilrk
Funster No
MH
Swift Voyager 685FB
I’ve had a C15 Cambium on one of my older bikes for a few years and I reckon it’s the most comfortable of the traditional shape saddles ? Great quality, comfy and no extra wear noticed. its no featherweight though.

For me, ISM saddles are the best overall and I’ve got them on the bikes I use the most... avoids any weight sitting on the ahem ....“fleshy” bits

View attachment 389719

I looked at ISM saddles but with sit bones 140mm wide they slip off the edges and you end up sitting on the pubic rami. The pubic rami slope up and inward from the sit bones to the front of your pelvis. This leads to chafing and me sitting on the fleshy bits. First step in any saddle buying is to know the width of your sit bones and take it from there.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Measure your sit bones.....

Put a piece of tinfoil on a folded towel on something solid, like a low table, and sit down on it. Lift your knees off the floor to make a good impression then stand up. You should see two distinct impressions. Draw a circle around both then put a dot in the centre. Measure between the dots. Average is 90 - 110mm. If you then add 20 - 30mm depending on your riding position and for movement you get a saddle of 110 - 140mm. Average saddle width is 140mm!

My sit bones are 140mm so I need a saddle 160 - 170mm.....and a Brooks B17 is 175mm, result!

Handlebar width......

Measure between your acromium processes. That's the bony bit your arm hangs from at the end of your scapula. Average is 390 - 410mm. Mine are 520mm so the biggest drop handlebar I can get is 440mm unless it's custom made for me :)

It must be nice to be average.....

My rear end isn’t average then ?
I’m a 155 saddle ?

OP
OP
Bluemanc100

Bluemanc100

Free Member
Aug 13, 2019
Hawarden near Chester
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 155
Exp
MH Novice (but a seasoned veteran driver)
Just got a Cambium C17 new (used once and looks like it for £60 posted on eBay... I'll give it a try on the rollers and let you know how it goes :)

Deleted User
I have the C17 on my long distance Audax bike. I have found it to be the most comfortable saddle I have ridden on when doing long distances. Others have caused chafing at some pojnt in the ride. The longest single ride last year was 600 Kms and didn't have any problems with my derrier.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back