• These Classified Forums are now archived, so you cannot add to or edit them. Our New Classified System can be Found Here 

• These Classified Forums are now archived, so you cannot add to or edit them. Our New Classified System can be Found Here 

WANTED Brompton (1 Viewer)

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
This looks good, we have 2 Bromptons but our insurance said we must have a heavy D lock and must be secured through the triangle of the frame as shown in your photo. (Anywhere else and the bike can be folded/taken apart to remove the lock).
That photo shows the lock in its storage pouch, it opens out to a 6 sided lock around the frame so check with your insurers first to see if it complies.
Our locks are Abus Bordo 6000/75's, there are other versions like the 6000/90 which has longer sides which afaik won't fit the frame in the stored position.

https://www.abus.com/uk/Mobile-Security/Bike-Safety-and-Security/Locks/Folding-locks/Bordo-6000

Pete

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
There's a very good electrical kit you can get for Bromptons. It gets very good reviews. http://www.nanoelectricbikes.co.uk/ It was originally a twist and go system but they have had to introduce a pedal sensor - but reading between the lines I think you can omit that!

Jun 18, 2013
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666F
Exp
Since 2015
I aspired to a Brompton but bought a Mezzo folder second hand to use on our shared canal boat. It really helps to do a flight of locks (as long as the towpath is in good nick) much more quickly than plodding along while SWMBO pilots the boat. However, when it comes to folding it, I have nearly thrown it in the canal on more than one occasion. Now we have a motorhome, I plan to take it along but will be learning to do the job properly. On the canal boat again soon, so the bike will be out for a bit of a learning experience this weekend.

Unfortunately, I reckon small wheels are the killer with most of these bikes unless you only use them on the road or proper cycle tracks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Unfortunately, I reckon small wheels are the killer with most of these bikes unless you only use them on the road or proper cycle tracks.

We gave up our folding bikes for this very reason - much more wobbly than a regular bike.
We ended up fitting a tow bar mounted bike rack so we could carry our Volt electric bikes.

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
Used Brompton I've discovered are folly and later models are much improved over early examples
Yes they command silly money but usually from people who don't really know what they are buying
A new model is coming out later this year with revised gear shifters but it's all hushed up just now like iPhone 7
I think the gears are going into the hub just like the old sturmy archer, but they will be shimano 8 or 10 speed, just bought a Kalkhof with these gears, carbon fibre belt drive, also brooks saddle(y)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
There's a very good electrical kit you can get for Bromptons. It gets very good reviews. http://www.nanoelectricbikes.co.uk/ It was originally a twist and go system but they have had to introduce a pedal sensor - but reading between the lines I think you can omit that!
We have the twist grip Sparticle system. It has fantastic torque and top speed (too much for me) but can take a bit of practice to be safe .

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp

We were surprised at the good handling of the Bromptons on tracks and grass etc but they are uncomfortable on tracks and paths with tree roots that cross and raise the ground, very bumpy.

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Brompton heaven
image.jpg

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Curse you @Techno !

I've spent hours looking at the Brompton configuratior, and loads of YouTube videos of these since you posted!

Upshot is that when we get back to Yorkshire, it'll be a trip to Evans Cycles in Leeds to place two orders!

Thanks mate, you've cost me a fortune.

But they really are the dogs danglies :D:D

Do you know if there is much of a waiting time for custom built?

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
image.jpeg
Noticed this at our local railway station (Bristol Parkway)
Hire charge a very reasonable £5 per day. There are hire points at various locations, see bromptonbikehire.com
Good if you want to have a decent long tryout.

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Curse you @Techno !

I've spent hours looking at the Brompton configuratior, and loads of YouTube videos of these since you posted!

Upshot is that when we get back to Yorkshire, it'll be a trip to Evans Cycles in Leeds to place two orders!

Thanks mate, you've cost me a fortune.

But they really are the dogs danglies :D:D

Do you know if there is much of a waiting time for custom built?
Don't do it !
Order your configurations from sun cycles Cardiff online and get 10% off!
Mine is about 5 weeks delivery, no payment until shipped

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I would Definately upgrade the tyres to at least marathons as rear wheel removal is quite a task in the event of a puncture
Also if opting for brooks saddle there is a lady specific version

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
My son rides one most days into his city office and then folds it down and generally rides home in an Uber cab. He rates the bike as great, I've had a go but found the small wheels didn't give the most comfortable ride.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
We are down on Friday ! Daughter has organised a trip to the Rolling Stones exhibition and some garden thing in a high rise? What's wrong with a park!? Better save our pennies! For the pints!
I know small things are always more expensive I used to collect dolls house things at 1/12 scale some things could be as much as the full size! It's all about craftsmanship!

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
I love the accessories but should say essentials!! Photo please when it arrives!!
Clever logo simple but iconic like Apple! Recognised anywhere.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Landan is costing you a fortune Andy!! I thought you bought some uggs a couple of weeks ago!
Time to come home as you've spent up !!
Hope Mrs T is spending too !!;)

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Landan is costing you a fortune Andy!! I thought you bought some uggs a couple of weeks ago!
Time to come home as you've spent up !!
Hope Mrs T is spending too !!;)
Yes we bought four pairs in manchestaaaaaar

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
I thought I was bad :LOL:but I only buy plastic crocs and ugly e-bike!!:LOL:

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Haha, @Techno ............ this bike is gonna cost you a small fortune :D(y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
HAVE YOU RIDDEN ONE YET ANDY!!!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back