Broken solar entry gland problem (1 Viewer)

Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
Some help please,I have a broken entry gland and have to fit a new one,my problem is I cannot access the cable to disconnect from the electroblock(EBL99) and the previous owner has totally bonded the panel to the supports so cannot access the cable from that end either.
My thought is to cut the cable from inside the top cupboard,firstly isolating the solar by covering it,and secondly to remove the solar fuse from the electroblock before cutting the cable, is this doable or have I to do other forms of isolation?
Thanks for any help received.
Steve
Moho is a Hymer Exsis i562.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Yep that would work you will still have a connection to the regulator just work on one cable at a time to be completly safe, or you could fit a pair of MC4 connectors on the roof.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Bit surprised that you cannot access the EBL. If the panel is connected via a Schaudt regulator, can you not access that either, as the cable from the panel will go into the front of that.
Having said that, I had a leaking cable gland on my panel a few years ago. It wasn't broken but the seal had gone. My solution was to reseal the whole gland with a Sikaflex. It doesn't look very pretty but is does the job perfectly well.

OP
OP
Red Dragon
Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
Yep that would work you will still have a connection to the regulator just work on one cable at a time to be completly safe, or you could fit a pair of MC4 connectors on the roof.

Thanks Lenny will reconnect inside the cupboard.

how broken is it?
cant it be repaired with sikaflex?

Beyond repair but thanks.

Bit surprised that you cannot access the EBL. If the panel is connected via a Schaudt regulator, can you not access that either, as the cable from the panel will go into the front of that.
Having said that, I had a leaking cable gland on my panel a few years ago. It wasn't broken but the seal had gone. My solution was to reseal the whole gland with a Sikaflex. It doesn't look very pretty but is does the job perfectly well.

Hi Jeanluc I can access the front of the EBL99 and disconnect there its under the passenger seat, but miles from the gland and would involve stripping half the van down which I don't fancy doing.
Would sooner cut the cable in the higher cupboard and reconnect using mc4's

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
When I fit panels I always seal the inside of the gland to the inside of the box with Sika and the cable entry on the outside with silicon, silicon allows the cable to be removed if needed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back