Broken into in Florence car park (1 Viewer)

Godiva

Free Member
Jun 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix 640
Exp
Our Adria habitation door was opened pretty easily, they robbed us and rummaged through the entire van, all whilst we were gone for an hour midday.
Replacement lock arrived today, it’s flimsy plastic! Of course the thief’s will be robbing us, when it’s so easy to gain access.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Would it be worth fitting one of these ? You could link front doors with something like a dogs metal tethering lead ( doors wouldn’t open if they bust the lock, would have to smash window and cut through it) then exit via habitation door and lock this
1566039206498.jpeg

A loud alarm would limit the time they had to snatch anything.
Sorry you’ve had the upset of this.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Oh dear, something we all dread happening.
Most vans are pretty easy for experienced thieves to get into, if not through the doors the windows are flimsy.
If you haven’t got one get a decent alarm, preferably a motorhome specific one, fitted.
Not 100% secure but might make them decide on an easier target.

Richard

Falcon 269

Free Member
Jul 11, 2013
Melton Mowbray, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Sorry to hear of this but what additional security did you have fitted?

It was pretty clear to me when we got it that our Adria - and most other new mohos - are woefully lacking in anti-theft kit. I fitted Heosafe deadlocks to the cab doors and a Heosafe deadbolt/lock to the hab door, in addition to the Strikeback alarm and the separate window alarms.

None of these will defeat a determined pro but opportunists and scumbags will hopefully think twice and move on to a less well defended target.

Hope this doesn't spoil the rest of your vacation. :)

OP
OP
Godiva

Godiva

Free Member
Jun 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix 640
Exp
Was woefully unprepared, have a tracker on the motorhome but no additional security such as an alarm. Our dealership, said there was no point, obviously bad advice and i feel daft having listened to it. As we are still away and been waiting for the replacement lock, if have wrapped bicycle chains on the inside, through the door handle and wall handle. I feel so much more secure that way, will probably continue to do this always. BUT the windows are plastic ?, so I’m thinking bars on the window and sensors!

OP
OP
Godiva

Godiva

Free Member
Jun 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix 640
Exp
Would it be worth fitting one of these ? You could link front doors with something like a dogs metal tethering lead ( doors wouldn’t open if they bust the lock, would have to smash window and cut through it) then exit via habitation door and lock this
View attachment 324928
A loud alarm would limit the time they had to snatch anything.
Sorry you’ve had the upset of this.
Who makes this?

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Papa with the flimsy build of motorhomes and the amount of leverage, I reckon that even with the additional lock you could rip it off in seconds.
I recall that happening to someone when one of those bars was ripped off by thieves forcing an entry. Cost of repairs to the van body was well into five figures.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
That’s horrible ... scumbags, lowlives ??.

I think with security it’s getting a balance though I can understand why you’d want to fortress it now.

Alarm with flashlight no light and warning stickers may make them choose someone else’s van before yours.

Really sorry you’ve had this experience.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Was woefully unprepared, have a tracker on the motorhome but no additional security such as an alarm. Our dealership, said there was no point, obviously bad advice and i feel daft having listened to it. As we are still away and been waiting for the replacement lock, if have wrapped bicycle chains on the inside, through the door handle and wall handle. I feel so much more secure that way, will probably continue to do this always. BUT the windows are plastic ?, so I’m thinking bars on the window and sensors!
A great deterrent is an alarm which has external flashing neons (one per side).
There are a number of motorhome specific alarms which offer this.
You can’t easily protect your windows but a good visual deterrent will go a long way.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Who makes this?
One similar fitted on my motorhome was Fiamma. I was advised to do things which slowed would-be thieves, made their lives difficult. So I had a safe fitted beneath the bed. It was a bu**** to get to. Tied drivers and passengers doors with metal dog leads, nothing left on show and so on. And the two dogs were a deterrent too ;)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We have one of those fiamma external door lock thingies. We never lock it as anyone breaking in through the hab door would just do more damage. Makes a good handrail and dog lead anchor though.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
I recall that happening to someone when one of those bars was ripped off by thieves forcing an entry. Cost of repairs to the van body was well into five figures.
ditto, my insurance company said the Fiamma type locks (including the handle versions) that swivel over the lock would not reduce the insurance premium as more damage is made to the motorhome body with somebody trying to gain access. We have gone the sound bomb and the tracker route.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back