Broken Glass (1 Viewer)

May 15, 2016
Essex United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Bessacar Coachbuilt 6 ber
Exp
Since 2015
This morning my Husband closed the glass lid on our Stoves gashob with one of the burners lit
It exploded....

As our Motorhome is 18 years old the Stoves spares don’t even list our model.

So my question is.... can we use another make if it’s the same dimensions?

Be most grateful for your help

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
if the stove burns the right gas, you can fit anything you like that fits the hole.
Good opportunity to upgrade to something more modern and the husband can pay for it :D

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
They do go with a bang. :oops:

The interior of the motorhome was covered in glass but thankfully we were all outside when our one exploded.

Hope you are all ok. (y)

And as mentioned about do u have a model/ name etc?

Aug 16, 2018
West Wiltshire
Funster No
Exp
Long time
Replace with a good quality polished wooden top cut to size. Extends the worktop area as well then when not cooking.
Won't explode next time.........just a charred burning smell !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
if your desperate to replace with glass then you can make a mdf template get a glazing company to cut glass to size and get it tempered its not as expensive as you think i had a double glazed unit made with a hole for a cat flap and tempered to go in a french door for about £150

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Been there, done that. I regard it as a basic design flaw to have a glass plate below a cupboard that contains jars and tins.

I replaced the glass with an aluminium plate. I bought a rectangular plate of the same thickness as the glass. I rounded the corners with a jigsaw and file, and drilled holes to fit the hinges. Finally I cut a finger hole the same as in the glass, and the plastic grommet fitted nicely.

Aluminium is about the same density as glass, so the weight is about the same.

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Been there, done that. I regard it as a basic design flaw to have a glass plate below a cupboard that contains jars and tins.

I replaced the glass with an aluminium plate. I bought a rectangular plate of the same thickness as the glass. I rounded the corners with a jigsaw and file, and drilled holes to fit the hinges. Finally I cut a finger hole the same as in the glass, and the plastic grommet fitted nicely.

A nice anodised colour finish would set it off nicely too :)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
One of my caravans (can't remember which) had a rectangular glass cover. It succumbed to a jar of Marmalade from the cupboard above. Once home we were shopping in Aldi - who just happened to have a tempered glass chopping board that looked similar. When we got home with it it turned out to be exactly the same size as the broken cooker cover.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that

there wasnt any tins or jars in the cupboard when it was designed

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
I’m with the nice piece of wood cut to size with wooden or rubber standoffs so it stays in situ whilst driving, makes a great chopping/cheese/ preparation/ board as a well as a continuation worktop. There must be hundreds of people on here who’ve done the same thing. I did the above on my last van, it was like that for years till I sold it, and far more functional. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back