Broken Down In Spain (1 Viewer)

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
My Spanish registered car broke down on Saturday.

RACE (RAC/AA) Breakdown provided by my Spanish insurer arrived within 15 mins, a local agent.

We had been shopping and a friend had collected my wife and the food.

Anyway, faulty Ignition barrel meant no go.

Car towed to local garage and then onto chosen garage on Monday.

Wife had left me with her phone as mine was flat. Tow truck driver left me on the car park. Having taken all my documents including the assistance details in the car.

So a walk 5km home as I could not get a taxi, despite having drivers numbers in my wife’s phone.

Car needs a new barrel I was told yesterday, 10 days driver from Germany.

Can’t get a hire car off the insurance company until it’s been at the repairing garage for 7 day’s.

No courtesy car at the garage.

Can’t get a hire car locally as no stock (COVID knock on effect of travel industry),

I’m so glad it’s just my car and not our motor and home.

I cancelled my American Express insurance as I has Nationwide flex plus insurance.

Oh well, We have Consum supermarket delivery and taxis might be easier.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994

RACE (RAC/AA) Breakdown provided by my Spanish insurer arrived within 15 mins, a local agent.

We had been shopping and a friend had collected my wife and the food.

Anyway, faulty Ignition barrel meant no go.

Car towed to local garage and then onto chosen garage on Monday.

Wife had left me with her phone as mine was flat. Tow truck driver left me on the car park. Having taken all my documents including the assistance details in the car.

So a walk 5km home as I could not get a taxi, despite having drivers numbers in my wife’s phone.

Car needs a new barrel I was told yesterday, 10 days driver from Germany.

Can’t get a hire car off the insurance company until it’s been at the repairing garage for 7 day’s.

No courtesy car at the garage.

Can’t get a hire car locally as no stock (COVID knock on effect of travel industry),

I’m so glad it’s just my car and not our motor and home.

I cancelled my American Express insurance as I has Nationwide flex plus insurance.

Oh well, We have Consum supermarket delivery and taxis might be easier.
Read it twice, cannot work out if you are giving a positive or negative review, or a bit of both.....our Spanish registered Motorhome has once broken down near Granada (Clutch) and once in the wilds of Norway (Alternator)....both times taken to a garage and repaired....
Spent the night and day in Granada, and 5 days in garage parking in Norway waiting for parts to be delivered.....we were entitled to take a minimum of 4 star hotel, but opted to stay guardian of the motorhome and contents......Alliance Seguros...
Our previous Motorhome also Spanish plated, blew a tyre on Motorway en Route to Inverness, the Police attended and were not amused when they asked if I had called my breakdown service as I replied that I had.....in Madrid.....Local breakdown truck attended and did the business....
Yet another incident....last one, I was unable to drive due to breaking multiple ribs in a fall, after spending a week in hospital near Soria, my Motorhome was take home for me and I received a private ambulance transportation with nurse, 6 hour journey in total....arranged by Alliance Seguros....Looks like I've had good service.....

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Mixed feelings about the experience.

Grumpy old bastard (local guy) turned up shouting in Valenciano to his boss on the phone.

I guess I just couldn’t be bothered after trying to get my own taxi.

If I was stranded with wife and grandchildren in our motorhome. I would have made more of an effort to push for further assistance.

Having spoken to the insurance assistance company today. They tell me we cannot have a courtesy car until 7 days of the car going into the repairing garage, not from the day the car broke down which was a Saturday.

The car was recovered on Saturday to the garage/yard of the recovery company. They then transported it to the repairing garage on Monday.

7 full days have to elapse. So we are not entitled to a car until Tuesday 5th of October. Having broken down on the 25th of September.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I can't work out which company insists upon 7 days before hire car; your Spanish insurer or the N'wide FlexPlus?
Interested in clarification because I rely on N'wide cover for European breakdown and recovery.

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I can't work out which company insists upon 7 days before hire car; your Spanish insurer or the N'wide FlexPlus?
Interested in clarification because I rely on N'wide cover for European breakdown and recovery.
I have just switched my car from UK To Spanish registration.

My Standard Spanish insurance won’t give me a car for 7 (which is Turing out to be 11 days).

If and when I get a car I can have the courtesy car for 35 days.

Nationwide would have provided me with a courtesy car, if it were UK registered. But only up-to 1600cc engine and only for 48 hours.

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
Nationwide would have provided me with a courtesy car, if it were UK registered. But only up-to 1600cc engine and only for 48 hours.
I know it's immaterial as it's a Spanish reg but how come the above?

Screenshot_20210928-231433-400.png

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
EuroTrotters. I can't go into detail at this time Trev, but think yourself lucky that you weren't dealing with Britannia Rescue, who had Rita and I stranded for over 16 x hours waiting for recovery in the MH, to then be told that there wasn't an agent with a vehicle capable of recovering us, and due to the fuel shortage, we might have to stay another night waiting for recovery. :madder:
One phone call from me had a Wrecker there within 90 x minutes, and recovery to home a couple of hours later. I got Britannia Rescue to authorise payment by text, before I gave the go ahead to the recovery company.

What do we actually pay a breakdown insurance premium for? :mad:

Glad to know that you are sorted, albeit delayed. :(

Cheers,

Jock. :)

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I know but you wrote..

" Nationwide would have provided me with a courtesy car, if it were UK registered. But only up-to 1600cc engine and only for 48 hours."

So are you saying that Nationwide flex plus breakdown insurance would only give you a
smallish car for 48 hours if the car was UK reg?

That's not what their t/C's say
Yes, correct.

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Yes, correct.
We rang the Spanish car insurers and pushed them yesterday.

Within an hour they had booked a hire car . The Comand centre told me it was just down town in Javea.

Taxi arrived without warning and drove me 100km to bloody Gandia. Insurers footed the €62 taxi bill.

Arrived at 1:02 pm to find it closed until 4pm. Fantastic.

So I walked into town and back on with my bad foot. No meds with me. Menu del for €10.

Ended up with a VW T-Roc Auto that I thought was trying to take over and kill me. Until I realised it was the….

*Lane keep assist that was gently moving the steering wheel.
*Distance send sing cruise control that was decelerating / braking.
EB688855-3A95-4B43-BE24-3F0F55EA0D94.jpeg

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We rang the Spanish car insurers and pushed them yesterday.

Within an hour they had booked a hire car . The Comand centre told me it was just down town in Javea.

Taxi arrived without warning and drove me 100km to bloody Gandia. Insurers footed the €62 taxi bill.

Arrived at 1:02 pm to find it closed until 4pm. Fantastic.

So I walked into town and back on with my bad foot. No meds with me. Menu del for €10.

Ended up with a VW T-Roc Auto that I thought was trying to take over and kill me. Until I realised it was the….

*Lane keep assist that was gently moving the steering wheel.
*Distance send sing cruise control that was decelerating / braking.View attachment 543445
A Result...well done...

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I don't think Nationwide would cover a foreign registered vehicle.
No, they don't.

That's why the OP's first post confused me......

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Here is an update:

My Car is still at the repairing garage in Spain.

I had to return to the UK. So my Spanish insurers arranged fir the Avis hire car to go back to Alicante airport.

Still awaiting the car parts from Audi in Germany-Spain. I’m hoping it’s ready for when I go back in just under 3 weeks.

But I still have to arrange for transport from the airport to Javea !.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back