Broken down in Perpignan (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Hire the car and come to my place with dogs, wait there and go back when it's ready. I can only offer caravan as being a child minder not allowed to have anyone in while working, but there's electricity, you're like in a flat on your own, a tad difficult to cook but far from being impossible. Showers in sports dressing rooms for long showers, only in the morning, otherwise showers only in the evening after 8.00pm, when no more children in the house. Wifi when the signal wants to, but no problem if you stay in the office to do a few jobs on internet. Not a four stars place but no rent, no expenses except your own food. Think about it, I'm next to toulouse so indeed little hassle!And the hostess is not too bad... if you're not too bad guests LOL !

Amicalement

Frankie:)

@Viennese came here to cheer up a bit when that happened to her too. It was just a bit different as during the week end, I had no children to mind, but still I guess she could give an opinion

Edit: Lots of room for doggies to run about off lead!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
You're probably best off staying put in your motorhome. If not possible to stay in it overnight while it's actually being fixed ( I've no idea how long these things take) would recovery pay a motel for you ? All the chains ( campanile, Formule etc) are usually on edge of cities/towns and you can take dogs in rooms.
For anyone ever in a similar position--- under French law you can't be refused a rental property-- gite, , B&B , on grounds of having a " companion animal"

Not sure about this Pauline !!!
From memory it only applies to Blind people's dogs! I've been refused more than once my dog!

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Can thoroughly recommend @yodeli's B&B!! We were due to call in the van, but when it broke down in Carcassonne and was repatriated by AA (who were certainly not useless with us) we got a hire car. We continued our holiday although we had to shorten it because of additional expenses like having to eat out all the time.The AA paid £1000 of hotel bills, a French hire car and gave us a UK reg car at Calais to take our 20 plastic bags home. The Toulouse stop off was terrific, best boeuf bourguignon we ever tasted!! Thanks again for rescuing us Frankie!

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Be vey careful in those piping hot showers in the dressing rooms at Yodeli's place...

My people tell me there are a lot of semi-naked, fit young men with 6 packs wandering around.

You have been warned...

JJ :cool:

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
My people tell me there are a lot of semi-naked, fit young men with 6 packs wandering around.

You have been warned...

JJ :cool:
Never saw any of them dammit!

OP
OP
The rehctub
Sep 20, 2014
Luton
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
8 years
Thank you all for your advice etc and Yodell for your amazing offer
But all sorted know clutch being repaired Tuesday, being allowed to stay in Motorhome right up to Monday when they start work on clutch . Caravan Guard have been great car hire for 3 days and hotel for night van in work shop
Ps
Is it feasible to think I could make Calais in 1 1/2 days (Tuesday night and Wednesday all day ) as ferry is booked for Thursday morning

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
But all sorted know clutch being repaired Tuesday, being allowed to stay in Motorhome right up to Monday when they start work on clutch . Caravan Guard have been great car hire for 3 days and hotel for night van in work shop
Ps
Is it feasible to think I could make Calais in 1 1/2 days (Tuesday night and Wednesday all day ) as ferry is booked for Thursday morning

You should do it to Calais easily from there up the A75 in that time. Don't worry if your late ,,ferry as regular as clockwork.BUSBY.

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Ps

Good thing you're sorted, at least now it's only smooth!

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Never saw any of them dammit!

I never tell my guests this sort of things... it's MY privilege LOL! It must be years ago now the last time I came in the gymnasium (dressing rooms are right at the entrance) shouting "Woman aboard" , They never shut the door of the collective showers... so they all turned round and showed me their bottoms! Why they didn't shut the door instead? .... mmmm...I wonder! Anyway, never knew whose bottoms they were, as faces are on the same side than willlies...!:LOL::LOL::LOL: Anyway... Stadium warden can be a pleasant job ... sometimes!

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
Unless someone else is picking up the tab for repair get breakdown recovery to bring it home. Labour costs in France are ridiculous. Frence would have charged me 700 euros for an alternator years ago. Saga got me home and van followed. Because we needed a lot of what was in the van eg clothes laptops etc etc etc that we could not carry as foot passengers we had an estate car provided for travel to Calais. There we swapped to a right hand drive estate car for the crossing and home.

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
@Viennese My pleasure indeed!
Hire the car and come to my place with dogs, wait there and go back when it's ready. I can only offer caravan as being a child minder not allowed to have anyone in while working, but there's electricity, you're like in a flat on your own, a tad difficult to cook but far from being impossible. Showers in sports dressing rooms for long showers, only in the morning, otherwise showers only in the evening after 8.00pm, when no more children in the house. Wifi when the signal wants to, but no problem if you stay in the office to do a few jobs on internet. Not a four stars place but no rent, no expenses except your own food. Think about it, I'm next to toulouse so indeed little hassle!And the hostess is not too bad... if you're not too bad guests LOL !

Amicalement

Frankie:)

@Viennese came here to cheer up a bit when that happened to her too. It was just a bit different as during the week end, I had no children to mind, but still I guess she could give an opinion

Edit: Lots of room for doggies to run about off lead!!!
you are an amazing lady, a privalige to breakdown, knowing you are there:france:

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
Unless someone else is picking up the tab for repair get breakdown recovery to bring it home. Labour costs in France are ridiculous. Frence would have charged me 700 euros for an alternator years ago. Saga got me home and van followed. Because we needed a lot of what was in the van eg clothes laptops etc etc etc that we could not carry as foot passengers we had an estate car provided for travel to Calais. There we swapped to a right hand drive estate car for the crossing and home.[/QUOTE Oops too late

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
T

As @busby said shouln't be a problem- Even if you stick to 100kph it is only around 11 hours driving.

narrowboatjaks

Free Member
Nov 2, 2014
Burton Hastings
Funster No
MH
rapido
Exp
17yrs
Happened to us last year when a new cambelt slipped on our rapido it hadn't been tensioned correctly. Rapido came back on a transporter & a taxi from Portsmouth came to take us and our 2 dogs after 3 night's in a hostel through the tunnel to Dover to get a hire car. Horrible experience had to put belongings in bin bags get dogs to the vets for worming and checks really feel for you x

Polobonnie100

Free Member
Feb 15, 2016
Harefield UB9
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
ADAC have helped us twice in France - full cover for accident or breakdown worldwide in whatever vehicle you are in at less than the AA charge you in the UK - and they send out the AA if you break down in the UK!

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
ADAC have helped us twice in France - full cover for accident or breakdown worldwide in whatever vehicle you are in at less than the AA charge you in the UK - and they send out the AA if you break down in the UK!
May I suggest that anyone taking out cover with ADAC, reads the small print very carefully. We have been there and done that, and got stung €500 for a low loader to come and collect us, after their agent's 3.5t spec lift recovery vehicle failed a front lift recovery three times, in only 11kms. :(

ADAC's set allowance for the initial breakdown, may not be sufficient to cover the cost of the Recovery vehicle needed, for the size and weight of the MH. :(

Regards,

Jock. :)

RogeTeri

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
Something similar happened to me. We were in Poitiers when I destroyed my engine by misfueling. The AA were magnificent. They found a hotel for us and our two dogs and arranged a hire car. The arranged a crossing via Calais and allowed us to drive back to Portugal to drop the dogs off. We drove back to uk in the hire car and eight days later the Motorhome arrived. It needed a new engine and bits and pieces which were all eventually repaired. Our biggest worry was the dogs and being allowed to take them back to our house in Portugal was a massive help. Hope you were able to get back with your dogs without too much trouble!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
May I suggest that anyone taking out cover with ADAC, reads the small print very carefully. We have been there and done that, and got stung €500 for a low loader to come and collect us, after their agent's 3.5t spec lift recovery vehicle failed a front lift recovery three times, in only 11kms. :(

ADAC's set allowance for the initial breakdown, may not be sufficient to cover the cost of the Recovery vehicle needed, for the size and weight of the MH. :(

Regards,

Jock. :)

No worries with my little van,,,they will also help you wit medical emergencies,,not financially but will arrange ambulances and find you a doctor if you need. BUSBY.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back