Broke down as soon as I got it home! Advice Please!? (1 Viewer)

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I purchased a 1990 Mercedes 208D Autotrail Apache.

Test drove without a problem, started first time.
MOT was issued the day we picked it up.
Started first time when we collected it to bring it home.

(At no time do I remember seeing the glow plug light come on but then I was not looking for it)

Next morning it would not start. I called the seller (A dealer in Devon) and talked through the problem. He explained to me about the glow plug light and I told him it was not coming on - I had never had such an old diesel before so didn't know about glow plug lights) Had a road side breakdown mechanic come to the house and look at it. After a lot of testing he decided it was the glow plug control box which was not working. Power was going in but not coming out. The garage I purchased the van from had a new one delivered to me so I could fit it. It arrived today.

I put the new part in, it was a 10 minute job. Went to test it. Turned on the ignition and the glow plug light came on for about 2 seconds and then went off again. I thought that was a bit of a short time but tried to start her up any way, and she didn't. But I thought just glow it up a second time, it old, cold out, might just need a second warm up. Turned of the ignition, turned it back on - no glow plug light. Back to where we started at the beginning of the week. Turn the key, no glow plug light comes on. No start the engine!!!

So I am back to my work around. I have a wire connected to the connector which feeds the glow plugs, connected to two of the glow plugs, and the other end I touch to the power feed to the controller, count to 5, then go start the engine. It fires up instantly.

What should I do? Do you think I might have been conned?

The garage I purchased from is saying all the right things, they want to fix it. Problem is it is a 2 hour drive from here, they only have one mechanic on tomorrow and he is snowed under before the long bank holiday weekend. They have said if I can find a local auto electrician to fix it they will pay the bill for that. But what is going on with the van. Why is it blowing its glow plug controllers? Should I be worried there is a bigger problem? Should I demand my money back? (Which would be heart breaking, it took two months to find this van, it is the exact spec we want, plus some!) I just don't know what to think.

:Sad:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
it is an old van thay are willing to fix it get it to a electritchion and let them take the bill and you will be ok :thumb: I think

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
You like the van,,, they have given you the oportunity to get it sorted at their cost..

Get it done...

At the end of the day, you get what you like and a van you like..

Problem solved... with no cost to you..::bigsmile:

Then get out and enjoy it... :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Glow plugs aren't a big problem to fix on a motor like that , one or more must be shorting out and blowing the controller, usually it's just a switch thing, nothing to worry about it's not terminal just something that wears out.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Btw, I used to run a van like that had it three years never a spanner on it.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Don't know what part of Cornwall you are, but I've used this fella before, and he did an excellent job

Paul Beacon, auto electrician, 07951 029452, he works out of his van, he'll come to you

OP
OP
OddSocks

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks everyone you really have put my mind at rest. I'll get it checked out. If it is the glow plugs I will have all of them replaced with new ones.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Thanks everyone you really have put my mind at rest. I'll get it checked out. If it is the glow plugs I will have all of them replaced with new ones.
then get out and enjoy it se you in Cornwall next week

OP
OP
OddSocks

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Don't know what part of Cornwall you are, but I've used this fella before, and he did an excellent job

Paul Beacon, auto electrician, 07951 029452, he works out of his van, he'll come to you

How funny - he is just up the road from us and I have his web page open on my computer even as we speak! :) Thanks for the recommendation. :thumb:

My dad has called someone he has used before but he has not called back. If I don't hear from him soon I will call Paul!

Thanks

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
sounds like a bad plug or a short on the wiring not a major drama to sort on the scale of things. at 24 years old, things do occasionally go wrong or corrode but that's part of the fun keeping an older van on the road.

reminds me of an old work truck i had years ago. so many gloplug problems that we fitted a switched feed to the battery in the end. push the button for a few seconds then off you go. never had another problem all day after the first start as it was all warmed and running fine. think on the positives, its a great anti theft device

karl c

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2010
if its just the glow plugs that not bad, quick fix now will keep you going for a few years.
quick test with an amp meter will tell witch plugs down. :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back