Brittany (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Am planning a trip to Brittany next June and open to any recommendations.

Planning to take the tunnel and drive down from Calais. We will have 12 days.

Thoughts?

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Saint Lunaire is lovely for beaches, not made it to many other places yet but from what I've seen you can't really go far wrong in Brittany if you get decent weather.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
We travel via the tunnel ,depending on time of travel , we either stop at Montreuil sur mer aire ( nice walk around the town walls ) or go on to La Mailleraye sur Seine aire 6 euro's & watch the large vessels go by ,or just up the road by the Pont de Brotonne the free aire at St Nicolas de Bliquetuit again on the banks of Seine , bit rural& out in the sticks no services.
Fougere aire busy free, nice castle & town.
Evran aire again rural & free, by small lake with small cafe gps48.381216 -1.997061
Dinan worth a visit ,but the aire is a bit of a walk up to very interesting town.
Malestroit aire there's a couple gps 47.812194, -2.382566 this the one we use ,lovely town.
Campeneac aire nice lakeside free services up in the town charged.
Camaret sur mer aire 6 euro's well worth it , turn right out of the aire 200 yds up , on top of the hill,it over looks beautiful bay nice walk down to it.
Bourg Blanc aire again free by a couple of small lakes ,free services.
Lampaul-Plouarzel aire charged can't remember cost very nice .
Saint-Thégonnec aire nice free small town.
Locronan aire charged,lovely medieval town well worth a visit.
Tréguier aire basic free beside a river.
Rose granite coast wellworth a look ,Tregastel & ile de Renote.
Hope these help

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
If you don't mind a lengthy drive on day one you can be in Brittany by late afternoon from Calais if you cross early. We've use the aire at Fougeres, just NE of Rennes as a first night stopover. Impressive castle opposite.

I reckon the not to miss places are The Pink Granite Coast up near Tregastel and Ile Renote, and the avenues of prehistoric standing stones at Carnac further south. Towns like Concarneau and Locronan are quaint, and if you like wide sandy beaches with waves try Pointe de la Torche. For wilder coast try the Quiberon peninsula. Plenty to keep you occupied anyway.

OP
OP
jdk62
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
We travel via the tunnel ,depending on time of travel , we either stop at Montreuil sur mer aire ( nice walk around the town walls ) or go on to La Mailleraye sur Seine aire 6 euro's & watch the large vessels go by ,or just up the road by the Pont de Brotonne the free aire at St Nicolas de Bliquetuit again on the banks of Seine , bit rural& out in the sticks no services.
Fougere aire busy free, nice castle & town.
Evran aire again rural & free, by small lake with small cafe gps48.381216 -1.997061
Dinan worth a visit ,but the aire is a bit of a walk up to very interesting town.
Malestroit aire there's a couple gps 47.812194, -2.382566 this the one we use ,lovely town.
Campeneac aire nice lakeside free services up in the town charged.
Camaret sur mer aire 6 euro's well worth it , turn right out of the aire 200 yds up , on top of the hill,it over looks beautiful bay nice walk down to it.
Bourg Blanc aire again free by a couple of small lakes ,free services.
Lampaul-Plouarzel aire charged can't remember cost very nice .
Saint-Thégonnec aire nice free small town.
Locronan aire charged,lovely medieval town well worth a visit.
Tréguier aire basic free beside a river.
Rose granite coast wellworth a look ,Tregastel & ile de Renote.
Hope these help
Will have a look at these, many thanks

OP
OP
jdk62
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
If you don't mind a lengthy drive on day one you can be in Brittany by late afternoon from Calais if you cross early. We've use the aire at Fougeres, just NE of Rennes as a first night stopover. Impressive castle opposite.

I reckon the not to miss places are The Pink Granite Coast up near Tregastel and Ile Renote, and the avenues of prehistoric standing stones at Carnac further south. Towns like Concarneau and Locronan are quaint, and if you like wide sandy beaches with waves try Pointe de la Torche. For wilder coast try the Quiberon peninsula. Plenty to keep you occupied anyway.
Thanks for the info.

donnkim

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Bury
Funster No
MH
Low Line Coachbuilt
Exp
a newbie
Thanks for asking the question & for information.
Kim & I are planning for Brittany next June for 4 weeks.
That's not too long is it?

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
All of Brittany is wonderful and in June the weather should be pretty nice. It’s difficult to recommend places to visit as I don’t know what you like. Most of the coast around Brittany is unspoilt and worth exploring on your own, but one of the nicest beaches we regularly visit is St Coulomb near Cancale. Free aire but no services. Erquy and Val Andre have wonderful beaches but the aire at Val Andre is now closed ( as may be St Nicolas de Bliquetuit on the Seine, we went last year and it seemed abandoned) Cap Frehel has nice secluded beaches nearby and lovely scenery as you drive around the point.
Josselin is worth a visit as is Dinan, Concarneau, Locronan and Rochefort en Terre. All medieval towns with lots to see and some great restaurants.
Abbaye de Bon Repos on the Nantes Brest canal is interesting and Lac de Guerledan is close by. Further west is Huelgoat and its nearby enchanted forest has lots of walks and interesting features, if you like a good walk.
As mentioned by Magicsurfbus, Carnac is somewhere you should visit if you get that far south.

Too much to visit in12 days, we’ve been here 3 years and still have lots to see!

OP
OP
jdk62
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks for asking the question & for information.
Kim & I are planning for Brittany next June for 4 weeks.
That's not too long is it?
Get Xmas and Easter out of the way and it will be June before you know it...(y)

OP
OP
jdk62
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
All of Brittany is wonderful and in June the weather should be pretty nice. It’s difficult to recommend places to visit as I don’t know what you like. Most of the coast around Brittany is unspoilt and worth exploring on your own, but one of the nicest beaches we regularly visit is St Coulomb near Cancale. Free aire but no services. Erquy and Val Andre have wonderful beaches but the aire at Val Andre is now closed ( as may be St Nicolas de Bliquetuit on the Seine, we went last year and it seemed abandoned) Cap Frehel has nice secluded beaches nearby and lovely scenery as you drive around the point.
Josselin is worth a visit as is Dinan, Concarneau, Locronan and Rochefort en Terre. All medieval towns with lots to see and some great restaurants.
Abbaye de Bon Repos on the Nantes Brest canal is interesting and Lac de Guerledan is close by. Further west is Huelgoat and its nearby enchanted forest has lots of walks and interesting features, if you like a good walk.
As mentioned by Magicsurfbus, Carnac is somewhere you should visit if you get that far south.

Too much to visit in12 days, we’ve been here 3 years and still have lots to see!
Thanks for this. Really helpful. I want to use quite a number of aires but The Beauty Terrorist is pushing to use Campsites.... Am sure we will find a compromise.. :)

Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
Get the acsi book, la turballe lovely area and really good rates
Outside gates left it right are two ports, lovely restaurants bars shops

Attachments

• 1C1BA722-2721-4C47-8988-8006CEBCEB50.png
    1C1BA722-2721-4C47-8988-8006CEBCEB50.png
    488 KB · Views: 11
  • 43CDA0E8-B5C2-4CAE-8D68-295514A27D60.png
    43CDA0E8-B5C2-4CAE-8D68-295514A27D60.png
    178.9 KB · Views: 10

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
Morbihan has a lot to offer (I might be biased) Port Louis, where we live has a super aire overlooking the Petite Mere de Gâvre at Locmarlo.

If it's wonderful golden beaches Gâvre is unsurpassed. There's an aire and campsite right on the bay.

The south coast Vannes to Lorient benefits from a micro-climate, we sit out on the patio in warm sunshine when only 15 miles further north it's dull and cool. We have palm trees in the streets of Lorient and I have not known a frost in 12 years.

So if you were unlucky enough to experience dull weather on the Côte de Granit Rose just head south it's only about 80 miles but it's whole differnt climate.

HTH

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
@Allanm , Hi,I agree (St Nicolas de Bliquetuit aire ) it looks a bit past it's best , as they have stopped supporting the borne de services after it it had been vandalised ,so it's just a parking aire with lovely views.
upload_2017-11-11_17-46-57.jpeg

upload_2017-11-11_17-47-31.jpeg

upload_2017-11-11_17-47-59.jpeg

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
Get an ACSI card/book, best investment you'll ever make. Also don't make the mistake we made and stayed at Brest, mainly to see the U Boat pens, nothing else there though, much better places to stay. Carnac and Concarneau is okay.

We landed at St Malo and just went south hugging the coast. Don't bother paying 10 euros to go into Mont Saint Michel, the walk to it is lovely and the shops are nice but there is absolutely nothing to see inside the Abbey.

Nik

Oct 29, 2014
Cornish exile in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
1 year
Hi.
We spent 2 weeks touring around Brittany last September. We mainly stay on Aires and our favorites were at these places; Erquy, Lampaul-Plouarzel and Quiberon with Lampaul being our fav. Great sea view.
Quiberon was also good for cycling and is near Carnac which has already been mentioned.
Visit the Battle of the Atlantic War memorial at Pointe de Pen-Hir on Crozon, there is a big Aire just above Camaret-sur-Mer.
Dinan was nice too.

There is a big Aire at Rothéneuf which was handy for St Malo and if there visit the 'Les Rochers Sculptés' just a 10 min walk away. (100's of sculptures carved into the cliff face).

We went to many of the other places already mentioned and recommend them all.
Where ever you go enjoy.
Best regards
Nik.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jdk62
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Hi.
We spent 2 weeks touring around Brittany last September. We mainly stay on Aires and our favorites were at these places; Erquy, Lampaul-Plouarzel and Quiberon with Lampaul being our fav. Great sea view.
Quiberon was also good for cycling and is near Carnac which has already been mentioned.
Visit the Battle of the Atlantic War memorial at Pointe de Pen-Hir on Crozon, there is a big Aire just above Camaret-sur-Mer.
Dinan was nice too.

There is a big Aire at Rothéneuf which was handy for St Malo and if there visit the 'Les Rochers Sculptés' just a 10 min walk away. (100's of sculptures carved into the cliff face).

We went to many of the other places already mentioned and recommend them all.
Where ever you go enjoy.
Best regards
Nik.
Thanks for the info- really helpful. Not sure I can wait till June!!!!

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Don’t where you live but if you sail Poole to Cherbourg on the 8.30am ferry, you land in France at 2pm. Two hours later you can be in Brittany. Happy travels. (y)

Apr 17, 2017
Ferring
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840
Exp
Since 2017
Am planning a trip to Brittany next June and open to any recommendations.

Planning to take the tunnel and drive down from Calais. We will have 12 days.

Thoughts?
Will watch with interest as we are planning to do exactly the same (y)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
just buy an aires book when in france they are usually cheaper than here in uk. yes in french .good for learning new words.
but brittany has loads of aires possibly the most per area of france .
mind brittany isnt in france ,its brittany. hee hee.
best if your from wales or scotland or cornwall . all get on real good with bretons .
but there are loads of places to get water empty toilets and very often free.
have fun.

OP
OP
jdk62
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
just buy an aires book when in france they are usually cheaper than here in uk. yes in french .good for learning new words.
but brittany has loads of aires possibly the most per area of france .
mind brittany isnt in france ,its brittany. hee hee.
best if your from wales or scotland or cornwall . all get on real good with bretons .
but there are loads of places to get water empty toilets and very often free.
have fun.
Thanks.
Well as a displaced Scot living in Oxfordshire, I should be laughing!!! Any good Campsites?

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
@Allanm , Hi,I agree (St Nicolas de Bliquetuit aire ) it looks a bit past it's best , as they have stopped supporting the borne de services after it it had been vandalised ,so it's just a parking aire with lovely views.
View attachment 196802
View attachment 196803
View attachment 196804

That looks nice, we were there in June, it was blowing a gale and raining, the grass was overgrown and there was rubbish blowing around.
Great views though and I can imagine on a sunny day the views would easily compensate for the run down looks.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i
Thanks.
Well as a displaced Scot living in Oxfordshire, I should be laughing!!! Any good Campsites?
dont use campsites but yes there are lots about.
but get an sco sticker and a scottish flag . it helps start conversation .
i have a st piran sticker it works .
mind same when in galecia etc they love that seperate to the rest idea .

Jun 22, 2011
Onchan, Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Nov 2010 after 25 yrs under canvas.
Last year we read a great book, Death in Pont Aven. A murder mystery, anyway to cut to the chase, we were planning on visiting Brittany anyway so stayed at Concarneau which features heavily in the story for a few days, fantastic. Will be going back there next year. I an now reading the next book in the series.

OP
OP
jdk62
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Hi @jdk62 ,
We don't normally use campsites but we did use one at Brignogan Plage, http://www.campingcotedeslegendes.com/
3 star site right on the coast , quite nice .
any other help just PM me.
You must try an aire , I'm sure you will be very pleasantly surprised.
La Mailleraye is a must.
Thanks for the info. I am keen to try some Aires , but the Beauty Terrorists concern is not being able to book in advance and getting a guaranteed pitch. However am working on her.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back