Brittany Ferry-last second canx by me! (1 Viewer)

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Morning all

Before I call to enquire, I just wondered who may have had experience of this?

We were at the Portsmouth check in, three vans ahead of us yesterday morning for the 11:45 sailing to Bilbao. Phone rang, my daughter telling me that Mum had had a fall and was on the way to hospital. We paused to say what was happening, the young lady in the booth was all sympathetic and lovely and noted details. Then we shot off back to Colchester Hospital.

Mum has an infection it seems that caused her to pass out. She seems OK, no damage from the fall but receiving treatment and may be in Hospital a day or so before coming home where we will stay until she fully recovers. We are just glad that the call came before we boarded or even worse were at sea!

Anyone know or have any idea what I might expect from Brittany Ferries when I call or try to re-book? If I've lost the lot, well so be it...but I wondered if anyone has had any similar experience?

Cheers all
Dave

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Poss a rebooking fee for next ferry , have changed date for the same reason, in the past but not on the day think it was £20 back then
Good luck and hope your mum recovers well

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You can only call them and see what they say. I'm sure the T&Cs will mean you have lost the booking but you might get them to make a gesture in the circumstances. Otherwise your travel insurance should cover it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
I've made the call and been told that I have until 16:30 on Sunday to make another booking with just a £25 booking fee. Fairly impressed with that under the circumstances of my port side cancellation!

So, even if I don't know by Sunday if I can leave my Mum yet, I can book for say next September sometime.

I would say that is pretty good service from Brittany Ferries.

Last edited:

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
Sorry to hear about your mum Dave, but pleased that she's coming home soon and that you weren't at sea. Sounds like great service from Brittany Ferries too.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
T
Sorry to hear about your mum Dave, but pleased that she's coming home soon and that you weren't at sea. Sounds like great service from Brittany Ferries too.

Thanks Kim, with having an elderly parent it’s the call we all have to expect but hope we don’t get. As you say, would have been far worse had we had been in the Channel or just arrived in Spain.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Bad news about your mum - hope she's on the mend quickly, but great service by Brittany ferries. Hope you get away by Sunday.

Deleted User
I've made the call and been told that I have until 16:30 on Sunday to make another booking with just a £25 booking fee. Fairly impressed with that under the circumstances of my port side cancellation!

So, even if I don't know by Sunday if I can leave my Mum yet, I can book for say next September sometime.

I would say that is pretty good service from Brittany Ferries.

One of the reasons that I like using Brittany Ferries is their excellent customer services, if you re book for any random date in the future it is then possible to amend that booking on line free of charge, though the crossing price may be different.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Pleased to say that Mum came home yesterday. Seems she had a water infection that brought on a dizzy spell or faint. She is already back to her usual self; which at the moment is telling me that she hopes I'm not going to be staying too long! Hopefully going to re-book today for next Fridays Santander sailing.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
@Dave and Ginny, As with others Dave, sorry to hear about your Mum, but glad that she's at home again and on the mend (y) and that you have experienced great customer service from the ferry operator. Nice one. (y)

Cheers,

Jock & Rita. :)

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now 😢
Exp
They are a great company Brittany ferries, change my bookings all the time, usually on line is cheapest way but as crossing gets nearer you may need to phone, the amendment fees are a small price to pay for flexibility.
Hope your mum recovers soon.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Glad to hear things have taken a turn for the better now and your Mum is on the mend.

And it does indeed sound as though Brittany Ferries have acted honourably - which is great!

Hope you are able to get away next week. Good luck! (y)

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Looks like we’re on our way this Friday on the Santander boat. Came in at £19 in the end due to a price difference. Really very happy all round as it’s been nice to be able to settle Mum back into her routine again.

Thanks for all the well wishes (y).

We’ve not arrived at Santander before and as it’s a 17:30 arrival we won’t be going far. Anyone have any recommendations with the nearby Camperstops?

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
So pleased all is well. We arrived in Santander last friday at about 6 and it was 6.30 by tge time we got off. It was a dry clear evening so we got as far as Sobradiel but both of us drive which makes a difference.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Not surprised that Brittany Ferries treated you ok. That appears to be the sort of company they are.

Pretty sure I have only ever read one complaint on the forum about them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back