Brittany Ferries. Portsmouth to Caen/Cherbourg/Le Harve . Pets (1 Viewer)

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
We are planning a trip later this year and as we now have Tilly, we were wondering what the process was for pets on these routes?

Are we able to take Tilly out for a P & P ?

We dont want her to be placed in kennels.

Suggestions, thoughts?

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks for that...

On board
Pets aren't allowed in cabins or any other public areas of the ship (except registered assistance dogs); they must remain in your vehicle.

• We strongly recommend opening your vehicle window to provide ventilation during the sailing and leaving some water for your pet.
  • The garages may be warm when you first park, but once the ship is at sea, the temperature is carefully regulated and inspected regularly.
Access to the garages during the crossing is forbidden, except when with a member of our crew.

Pet visits to the garage
To visit your pet during your sailing, you will need a ticket. Tickets can be obtained upon presentation of your passport or driving licence at the information desk on deck 7; where your ID will be securely held during your visit.

Please note that, for security reasons, visits are limited to one person per vehicle for a maximum of 15 minutes. For exact visit times, please ask a member of crew at the information desk.

All visits are subject to weather conditions and the captain reserves the right to change or refuse visits at any time.

Does that mean that the dogs cant be walked?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
I don't think pets can be 'walked' don't think there is anywhere for that.
That's a long crossing-4.5 hrs-Dover to Dunkirk is much quicker or use the tunnel!

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
They normally allow you a few minutes to let the Dog take relief but it is brief.
If you choose a late Sailing say 10.00pm it’s likely your Tilly will sleep through the trip until you go down the following morning which is about 6 hours or so.

gradyp

Free Member
Aug 18, 2011
Widnes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Supreme 155
Exp
We have used the tunnel the last few times we have taken our dog and it has been fine . He stays with you in the van and no stress for him or us.
Next year we have been lucky in that we have managed to book a ferry from Spain back home , with a pet cabin (difficult to get, normally booked up as soon as they go on sale) so will be tunnel to France down to Spain back on ferry 6 weeks total.
Our dog can get stressed easily so would not think of leaving him in the van for a sea crossing, so tunnel perfect and pet cabin (not used one before) seems to fit for use

Paul

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I don't think pets can be 'walked' don't think there is anywhere for that.
That's a long crossing-4.5 hrs-Dover to Dunkirk is much quicker or use the tunnel!

Dogs can't tell the time,,,,:):)BUSBY..

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
No, you are quite correct, but if you love your dog you try to ease the stress of travelling or anything else like that.
You obviously don't have a dog.:D
You are obviously correct but wrong,,Was never without a dog from 1945 until our final two passed away in 2001. Had six at one time,,mostly rescue or strays at the time. Dogs must be different now i suppose. We never worried about leaving our dogs on their own for a few hours whether at home or on holiday,,,never dressed them in rain coats or winter coats which seems to be the norm now,,they did as they were told,,had one meal a day,,never ever missed at least two five mile walks a day 365 days a year,,rain or shine and all lived to ripe old ages,,German Shepherd nearly 15,,Fox terrier 17 just to mention two,,,But as you say obviously don't have a dog..Never remember them stressed because i treated them well and as friends but as DOGS,,,BUSBY:D:D:D

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I do poole to cherbourg.
Super fast and leave dog in van.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Dogs can't tell the time,,,,:):)BUSBY..

Try telling my two jacks that,

11.30 and 5.00 without fail they kick of and start annoying us until they get fed.
It’s like they have an alarm clock, and as I have posted before the boy dog knows when it’s time for toast on a Sunday as he starts to bark in the morning, that’s the only day we have toast!!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Try telling my two jacks that,

11.30 and 5.00 without fail they kick of and start annoying us until they get fed.
It’s like they have an alarm clock, and as I have posted before the boy dog knows when it’s time for toast on a Sunday as he starts to bark in the morning, that’s the only day we have toast!!
And i bet you give in straight away,,,no wonder they keep doing it. Ignore them..Never ever fed my dogs until we had eaten,,sorrowful eyes or not,,, BUSBY,,,:D2

Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
We always do one of the daytime crossings Portsmouth to Caen. We have a, now aging, Labrador but he was only young when we first started. The crossing is about 6 hours, he stays in the van, no visits allowed. We used to do it when we had a caravan, he happily stayed in the boot area of our 4x4 as this was what he was used to and loves travelling. We now have a motorhome and he’s just as settled. We take him out for as long as possible before boarding just to let him do whatever he needs to. We tend to get the morning ferries so he will have had breakfast and a walk already. He happily settles with a couple of biscuits in his own bed in the van until we get back at the end of the crossing. First stop then is to let him out. We are lucky in that he is not destructive and is happy in his own environment, he doesn’t even get up on the seats. We reckon it is not a lot different to the length of time he spends on his own and not able to get out when he is just at home or in the van overnight. In fact now we are on “ manana” time he has a longer period overnight as we are on a later get up time.
Don’t worry, they will adapt. I suspect that dogs don’t have the same perception of time as we do. They don’t know if you have been away 5 minutes or 5 hours, they great you just the same. Enjoy your trip.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I used to cross Le Havre to Portsmouth or Dieppe to Newhaven and mine were always ok, both in the car and the motorhome, but they were in a group( 2 dogs,2 cats) travelling together. Makes a difference and a single dog on its first trip, or not used to being separated from you, might find it difficult.
I'd do the shortest crossing possible, as late in the day as you can. If Tilly isn't going to stay in a crate/cage, make a bed she can hide in as least noise/light will lower stress levels.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
My Jack has her clock set firmly on certain times of the day and knows exactly what should happen when!
As to leaving a dog alone for several hours it depends on the dog and it depends on whether the dog has another dog with it. Some dogs aren't worried at all.
I agree with Hollyberry!
Our Jack was a stray, handed into the re-home centre with no knowledge of her, she is a bit sensitive, and likes everything to be consistent, we don't know how old she is and have no history for her, we treat her as a family member!:)

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
We are planning a trip later this year and as we now have Tilly, we were wondering what the process was for pets on these routes?

Are we able to take Tilly out for a P & P ?

We dont want her to be placed in kennels.

Suggestions, thoughts?
Came back last night Le Havre to Portsmouth

We had a pet friendly cabin, a place to walk Shadow with washdown, and pet owners are allowed back to their vehicles about 10 minutes before everyone else so the pets are stressed free on the stairs and lifts

Shadow even got his own travel pack consisting of a water bowl, doggie treats, a rope toy and poo bags.

Ten out of ten to Brittany Ferries for the service. We went out Boxing Day using the same service from Portsmouth

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
And i bet you give in straight away,,,no wonder they keep doing it. Ignore them..Never ever fed my dogs until we had eaten,,sorrowful eyes or not,,, BUSBY,,,:D2

They have been fed nearly every day at that time for the last 9 years hence why they know the time.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back