Brittany Ferries New Ship Galicia - My Opinion - Review (1 Viewer)

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
I have just looked on the BF website and processed a ferry crossing to work out the cost. There was no option to buy meals, only cabin choices, so I presumed they were included. Are you saying no meals are included now and if so do you just buy them onboard?

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I have just looked on the BF website and processed a ferry crossing to work out the cost. There was no option to buy meals, only cabin choices, so I presumed they were included. Are you saying no meals are included now and if so do you just buy them onboard?
the new option is £10 off meals on the vessel

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
the only thing I can say in favour of Galacia is it cuts through the sea well, if that's the correct term =?.
Yep her bow is designed to cut waves in a similar way to Bretagne which has a classic 'Atlantic' shape with wave diffusers on her fo'c'sle.
Pont Aven punches waves hence the reason why she hogs & sags, has misaligned bow clam shells which need a good sledge hammering and vibrating prop shafts. Overall an appalling design.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Yep her bow is designed to cut waves in a similar way to Bretagne which has a classic 'Atlantic' shape with wave diffusers on her fo'c'sle.
Pont Aven punches waves hence the reason why she hogs & sags, has misaligned bow clam shells which need a good sledge hammering and vibrating prop shafts. Overall an appalling design.
Interesting, thank you.

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Interesting, thank you.
Another review, first time on this route.

4 hours sitting in the queue to board. Served us right for arriving early, I suppose. Virtually last on board, around the scheduled departure time. So close to the side of the ship, we couldn’t open the habitation door, and could hardly open the front passenger door either.

Four berth outside club cabin was the best we could get. Extremely small, even for two. Chair, if you can call it that, was dangerous in rough weather.

Crossing was quite rough on the first night. Enough for stuff to slide off tables. Some broken plates etc though cannot blame BF for the weather.

Boat was not overly warm. Wife calls it cold.

Club lounge was excellent. Seldom busy, most times varied food available. Wine often available too, and empty bottles replaced on request. On a future ovcasion I would not take/buy meals. Plenty here for “free”.

We got the inclusive dinner having booked before 20th Dec. Alllocated a time and seat in one of the main dining rooms. No choice about time/place (6:15 too early for us) but the same menu was provided in both restaurants. Food was amongst the best we have had on any ferry.

Boat arrived very early, I think.

Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
Another review, first time on this route.

4 hours sitting in the queue to board. Served us right for arriving early, I suppose. Virtually last on board, around the scheduled departure time. So close to the side of the ship, we couldn’t open the habitation door, and could hardly open the front passenger door either.

Four berth outside club cabin was the best we could get. Extremely small, even for two. Chair, if you can call it that, was dangerous in rough weather.

Crossing was quite rough on the first night. Enough for stuff to slide off tables. Some broken plates etc though cannot blame BF for the weather.

Boat was not overly warm. Wife calls it cold.

Club lounge was excellent. Seldom busy, most times varied food available. Wine often available too, and empty bottles replaced on request. On a future ovcasion I would not take/buy meals. Plenty here for “free”.

We got the inclusive dinner having booked before 20th Dec. Alllocated a time and seat in one of the main dining rooms. No choice about time/place (6:15 too early for us) but the same menu was provided in both restaurants. Food was amongst the best we have had on any ferry.

Boat arrived very early, I think.
We tried booking the club lounge and it fully booked unfortunately, we didn’t know about it until we were speaking with friends who travel that route regularly so missed the boat (pun intended)👍

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Too early for us also l told reception on being told no option that l had never eaten that early in my life and was told turn up when you like,this l did and no one blinked got seated immediately.

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Fido says:
"I went on the Galicia last year. In a kennel, as no Fido cabins available. Really didn't like it. Only outdoor area was a narrow corridor that was dark and wasn't even supposed to have any seats on it. Had been on Pont Aven before, and that was great, with a really big outdoor space where the humans could sit in the sun. My humans didn't like it either, saying the Pont Aven had been like a short cruise, whereas the Galicia was like a long ferry trip. They managed to swap to the Pont Aven for the return trip."

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
We came back on the Galicia on Sunday......What a nightmare 4 hours to load at Santander sailed an hour late, the queues to get into the resturant were horrible. The food excellent, Service great, but a 40 minute queue to pay for the wine? Then 90 minutes wait from docking to passport control? Never again, Tunnel and drive down thru France next time.

Oct 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend 7057
Exp
Sailed on the Galicia last year - no probs - check in ok - off the ship in 10 minutes - Food excellent and did not mind us bringing our wine to the table - on time

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
I must have been unlucky, I got a SMS text from BF apologising for the delays. It says "Technical problems with the Border Force Systems"

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
On her now en route to Portsmouth. Rough passage but ship coping well.

Cabin smells of fumes.
Food choice awful
Price is typically monopolistic

(Why a French ferry company serves a uk/Spain route is disappointing. First Announcements are made in French for the …. Zero frenchies aboard.)

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012

Cabin smells of fumes.
Food choice awful

(Why a French ferry company serves a uk/Spain route is disappointing. First Announcements are made in French for the …. Zero frenchies aboard.)
That's because the likes of Balearia know there's not really that much money to be made after they'd need to invest multi millions on tonnage capable of dealing with Atlantic swells with a 1000 pax capacity and 3000 lane metres capable of carrying 5m high freight vehicles over a 10-20 year period.

Plus there are no British owned ferry operators.

Oct 27, 2015
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Frankia A Class
Exp
Since 2015

Cabin smells of fumes.
Food choice awful

Have a look at our previous post #38. We suffered from diesel fumes so badly that we had to leave our cabin on the second day. We were not alone, a number of other passengers had to leave their cabins as well. We were all on deck 8 on the port side. That was in December 21 - I subsequently found complaints going back to March 21, just a few months after the Galicia started sailing with BF. We filled out a complaint form; that got lost - there was no record of it. Weve been told that the problem has been fixed. From your experience it hasn’t. Aparantly the diesel fumes come from an auxiliary generator and are dependent upon wind direction. We eventually got a voucher for a free cabin on our next crossing which we used on the Pont Aven. We’re not sailing on the Galicia again.

Food on the Galicia was awful. How they can serve such cr*p amazes me.

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Sadly it's something that the ferry travelling public will need to get used to as most of the fleet will be E-Flexers before 2030. Pont Aven, which again as a hull form is ill suited to her Spanish crossings and always has been, hasn't got long left sailing the Atlantic, she's done 19 years and BF don't have the money to spend over €200m to replace like for like. The consensus is that her onboard food offer is becoming just as crap.

Mind you for me the food has been rubbish for a decade... and I was heavily involved with the Brittany Ferries Enthusiast Forum. We shut the forum down for a reason.

• Informative
Reactions: f6c

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back