Brittany ferries food (1 Viewer)

Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
We’re on the overnight in about a weeks time from Pompey . Is there food ? Is it food ? Should I take sandwiches ? RSVP #dontlikebrowncarbs

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
The home made picnic is always the best part of any trip .....we go on the tunnel nowadays, have enjoyed a meal on the ferry but prefer not to queue ?

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
We’re on the overnight in about a weeks time from Pompey . Is there food ? Is it food ? Should I take sandwiches ? RSVP #dontlikebrowncarbs

Which ship -- is it the Cap Finistère?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 19, 2014
Wimborne
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral+ 670SL
Exp
No longer a newbie
You don't say which route. If it is the overnighter that leaves at ten or eleven or something, will you want food at that time? For us, having had a meal in Portsmouth, it may be a quick one in the bar, then straight to bed. It has two styles of eating, self-service, and a waiter/menu/tablecloth/wine ambiance.

The ‘economie' leaves an hour earlier, but only has a self service resto. It is what it is, and of course it depends on your food taste and style.

the St Malo route leaves an hour earlier still, and there is a choice of two restos, a self service with the same style as the other two, and the same 'posh' restaurant, which is quite enjoyable, and a good way to start a holiday.

It certainly is food - whether you want fish and chips or duck breast. You can see all the menus on the BF website, there is bound to be something you'll enjoy.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
The Pont Aven has the self service restaurant but that’s not on the Spain run at the moment so if you are on the Cap Finistre you have a choice of the restaurant or the cheaper food up on deck 10 which you can bring down to the lower decks to eat. Apart from our free breakfast the restaurant is too expensive for us so we used the upper deck one.
If you are on the Economy one then I don’t know as I have never used it.
Edit. I am assuming that you are on the Spain run.

• Informative
Reactions: f6c
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
I've always avoided the food if I can. Poor quality and expensive in the cafes. IMHO

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I've been in touch with them regarding special dietary requirements and there are always vegetarian options but things like gluten-free are not guaranteed.

• Informative

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I travel frequently, 6or more times a year from Portsmouth to Caen and back on either the Normandie or Mont de Michel and thé food either breakfast or dinner is good quality, fair priced and plenty of it.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
I've always avoided the food if I can. Poor quality and expensive in the cafes. IMHO
I qualify my post. I don't eat in the resturants which is obviously my loss as you who do seem to enjoy their food.
I have tried the cafe breakfasts and found them wanting and, as for their packed sandwiches, I have yet to find one that isn't as dry as cardboard.

Next time I'll try spending a few bob more (y)

Deleted User
Depends a lot on which boat, Cap Finistere has ready meals available in the shop for heating in the microwaves at the side of the bar which means microwaves are available for heating your own food if so desired. The Beef Bourgignon from the take away on deck ten is very good.

Some self service restaurants have roast ham or different cuts of lamb which we have always found very palateable.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I qualify my post. I don't eat in the resturants which is obviously my loss as you who do seem to enjoy their food.
I have tried the cafe breakfasts and found them wanting and, as for their packed sandwiches, I have yet to find one that isn't as dry as cardboard.

The restaurant breakfast is usually excellent..BUSBY.

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
Well, I suppose it depends what you like. I actually consider dining in the restaurant on the Cap Finistère as a bit of a treat, but I like French cooking. If they have tournedos on the menu, I am even more pleased. In the UK I rarely order red meat, as I am too often disappointed. I tend to stick to fish or seafood. But on this ship I will always order the tournedos when its on offer. When asked how I want it cooked, the answer will be à point – the waiting staff are bilingual, but I reckon à point avoids any doubt. In English I would say that is probably closest to rare-to-medium-rare, but the problem is the English terms seem to be treated pretty randomly.

I’m with busby re the breakfasts. For a French company they do a pretty decent cooked breakfast too (and almost free with the Club Voyage members’ allowance).

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Only Brittany ferries ship I don’t enjoy the food on is Bae de Seine (though we never use conomerra or entreaty).

Cap finistere we use al a carte, outside deck snack bar an the boutique.

The mira flora on pont aven can be a bit over the top (too fancy). But we still eat in there as we love the buffet.

Captain Pants

Free Member
Dec 19, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg PVC
Exp
Since 1982

If you think the food on Brittany Ferries is bad, best steer clear of DFDS & P&O!

Janiemou

Free Member
Jan 2, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
4 years
The best ferry food we've ever had has been on Brittany Ferries to Bilbao, Minoan Lines from Greece to Italy & DFDS (Transmanche) from Newhaven to Dieppe.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back