Brittany Ferries -Fast sail to Cherbourg (1 Viewer)

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Thinking about booking for this service from Portsmouth to Cherbourg as it will be convenient in a few weeks time. 7.5 motorhome.

Anyone used this service and how did you find it?

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
It's on the Barfleur which is their smallest vessel. We've done it and are on it on Monday 7th may so it must have been OK! If it's full some vans travel outside but I think that's the same with all except the Pont Aven.

Deleted User
It's on the Barfleur which is their smallest vessel. We've done it and are on it on Monday 7th may so it must have been OK! If it's full some vans travel outside but I think that's the same with all except the Pont Aven.

That's the Poole - Cherbourg route.

@Dave and Ginny are talking about the fast ferry, Normandie Express, from Portsmouth, no direct experience but my daughter used it last year, as with all fast ferries can be bumpy and usually the first to be cancelled in bad weather.

Please note:

"
Vehicle Sizes
Our high speed ferry cannot transport large vehicles and trailers.

• Maximum vehicle dimensions are 4m high and 9m long
  • Trailers and caravans cannot be accepted
All vehicles over 2.2m high have to be reversed on board."

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
That's the Poole - Cherbourg route.

@Dave and Ginny are talking about the fast ferry, Normandie Express, from Portsmouth, no direct experience but my daughter used it last year, as with all fast ferries can be bumpy and usually the first to be cancelled in bad weather.

Please note:

"
Vehicle Sizes
Our high speed ferry cannot transport large vehicles and trailers.

• Maximum vehicle dimensions are 4m high and 9m long
  • Trailers and caravans cannot be accepted
All vehicles over 2.2m high have to be reversed on board."[/QUOT
Really should read things properly!
We have been on the Normandie Express as well. I was a bit worried about the reversing on as I rather nievely thought I was going to have to reverse all the way up the ramps. In fact you just drive up and there's a turning circle at the end, turn round and reverse on. It was easy. The crossing was like a millpond but I don't think it would be much fun even if it was a bit choppy. It was from Le Havre mind.

Jan 16, 2017
Hillingdon
Funster No
MH
Vantage Med
Exp
Since 2017
Hi. I used it last year from Cherbourg. Brilliant service and fast. The vessel is a catamaran configuration. In bad seas I’m told it tends to have a corkscrew motion. I’m a yachtsman and some of my colleagues refer to it as The Vomit Express! Yes you do need to reverse on to the vessel but the loading crew are very experienced and walk you on. I will probably use it again this year, I always book last minute with an eye on the weather forecast but I’m lucky I can freely choose my dates for passage. I don’t know what the size limits are but there were full size coaches on board.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Yep, Incats are the Vomit Comets but she's far more stable than Condor's Liberation.

As has been said reversing on board isn't difficult, at PIP you're given all of the space you need to manoeuvre as NEx lives on berth 1 rather than using the the more central linkspans.

Comfy seats on board and a café, fast food outlet plus a small shop.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back