Brittany Ferries arguing over 5cm. I do wish they had more competition (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Booked last night, under 2.6m high.

They phoned up in the morning. "British Ferries here. Your booking last night. We need a surcharge. Your motorhome is over 2.6 metres." He sounded very pleased with himself.
Me: "No it's not, I've measured it. It's 2.53m."
BF: "The manufacturer informs us it is 2.65m."
Me: "That is notional. I measured it before I went through last time. It's 2.53m. That's actual. -- Does that include the aerial?
BF: "Err, I don't know. We won't charge the £30 amendment surcharge."
Me: As the (disputed) difference is so fine, surely you can wave the extra fee?
BF:"If you want, you can wait until you go through, we'll measure it then. (suggestion being then I have to pay amendment charge?) Plus they are not going to prove themselves wrong.
Me: "OK, l'll pay now, I don't want to mess around at such a stressful time."

It's so irritating. I can see that they have their rules, and can see their point. They always put me in the same queue as higher vans. I agree that height is potentially an important point, you don't want to scrunch the van, but I have never been close in any previous van, in spite of going through numerous times each year. But, really. Is it worth their while phoning up and arguing for a measly £18 over such a small height difference?

Mind you, there was one time, on the BF Economie, when the aerial of a previous van kerdoncked on every cross girder all the way along the deck. It was fun seeing the reaction of the deck hands!

Ah well. It's their train set. I just wish there was more competition on the western route. I tried DFDS Newhaven-Dieppe return a few weeks ago. It was very enjoyable, shorter crossing and all. It's just that what I gain in crossing time and cheaper ferry, I lose in the extra mileage.

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Think you must have been unlucky and got a jobs worth I forgot to add the length of the bike rack on my last trip and the lady noticed it but just told me off then laughed and waved me on and at the French side they just did not care . Enjoy your trip safe travels .

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I was 3.05 metres high but always selected over 3 metres. Didn't want to be embarrassed when checking in lol

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I was 3.05 metres high but always selected over 3 metres. Didn't want to be embarrassed when checking in lol
I know what you mean. You think you're going to get told off, sent to a dunces corner or something. I did think he thought I was trying to pull a fast one. He sounded quite taken aback at the strength of my argument. But "computer says ..." He wins.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
With
Booked last night, under 2.6m high.

They phoned up in the morning. "British Ferries here. Your booking last night. We need a surcharge. Your motorhome is over 2.6 metres." He sounded very pleased with himself.
Me: "No it's not, I've measured it. It's 2.53m."
BF: "The manufacturer informs us it is 2.65m."
Me: "That is notional. I measured it before I went through last time. It's 2.53m. That's actual. -- Does that include the aerial?
BF: "Err, I don't know. We won't charge the £30 amendment surcharge."
Me: As the (disputed) difference is so fine, surely you can wave the extra fee?
BF:"If you want, you can wait until you go through, we'll measure it then. (suggestion being then I have to pay amendment charge?) Plus they are not going to prove themselves wrong.
Me: "OK, l'll pay now, I don't want to mess around at such a stressful time."

It's so irritating. I can see that they have their rules, and can see their point. They always put me in the same queue as higher vans. I agree that height is potentially an important point, you don't want to scrunch the van, but I have never been close in any previous van, in spite of going through numerous times each year. But, really. Is it worth their while phoning up and arguing for a measly £18 over such a small height difference?

Mind you, there was one time, on the BF Economie, when the aerial of a previous van kerdoncked on every cross girder all the way along the deck. It was fun seeing the reaction of the deck hands!

Ah well. It's their train set. I just wish there was more competition on the western route. I tried DFDS Newhaven-Dieppe return a few weeks ago. It was very enjoyable, shorter crossing and all. It's just that what I gain in crossing time and cheaper ferry, I lose in the extra mileage.
In your previous van if you had to reverse which happens on ferries sometimes you would have probably written your aerial off..I suppose to cover thirselves they have to go by manufacturers measurement because if ever someone made a claim against them for damage that would be the measurement accepted by the court,,,BUSBY,,

Sep 18, 2015
Selby, North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8066DF
Used BF quite a few times to and from Caen but now use DFDS to Dieppe it was about £100.00 diff each way with their old codgers disc, so they will have to cut prices for me to use them again £200.00 is a lot of fuel.
Bill

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
With

In your previous van if you had to reverse which happens on ferries sometimes you would have probably written your aerial off..I suppose to cover thirselves they have to go by manufacturers measurement because if ever someone made a claim against them for damage that would be the measurement accepted by the court,,,BUSBY,,
I know, that worried me at the first boink but I remembered it was a flexible (rubber-ish) aerial. When I say rubber-ish I don't mean rubbish. It was quite a nice aerial.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
No there is no tunnel:doh::D

Not worth discussing then :D

We overstated our width, and they didn't offer a refund.

A jobsworth sidled up to us as we queued with a height measuring stick, just walked alongside. I just sat there drinking a mug of tea smiling at him as he was soaked to the skin (since we got our M/H, my entire outlook of traffic jams has improved immeasurably, I patiently sit there with a steaming cuppa smiling at everyone)

Life is good (unless you are in Rouen at the moment checking that nobody was lying about underpasses)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Not worth discussing then :D

We overstated our width, and they didn't offer a refund.

A jobsworth sidled up to us as we queued with a height measuring stick, just walked alongside. I just sat there drinking a mug of tea smiling at him as he was soaked to the skin (since we got our M/H, my entire outlook of traffic jams has improved immeasurably, I patiently sit there with a steaming cuppa smiling at everyone)
Was that BF or DFDS? I thought they used an electronic beam. How could they measure stuff on t'roof like rooflights etc?

I agree about traffic jams, and with not worrying about how long it takes to get there etc. But dare I say, I much prefer the relatively jam free roads on the other side of the water.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
It was BF, and it was a "T" shaped stick. I don't know the other answers to your questions, this was in the queue and not the check in point

Santander in rush hour is no treat

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
If you are 100% sure of your height then I would of said ok, measure me at the dock then, I can't see anyone being bothered to come out and physically measure you, and if they did when proved right....:D2

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Road miles are always cheaper than ferry miles, especially if you use aires and don't mind a bit of easy driving on Autoroutes.

A breakfast time ferry from Dover and a day's steady driving will get you to within spitting distance of St Malo, and with more spending money :)

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
If you are 100% sure of your height then I would of said ok, measure me at the dock then, I can't see anyone being bothered to come out and physically measure you, and if they did when proved right....:D2
To be honest, I can't remember if he did measure us or just wielded his stick as if it were some symbolic Gallic proof of his power over us mere British mortals. I just sat back chuckling at how he looked like a demented hostile tangerine in his hi-viz jacket, pot belly and soaked to the skin whilst I was enjoying MP3s in the warm and supping at a nice hot cuppa. One look at my grin and that man knew that he was beaten

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
To be honest, I can't remember if he did measure us or just wielded his stick as if it were some symbolic Gallic proof of his power over us mere British mortals. I just sat back chuckling at how he looked like a demented hostile tangerine in his hi-viz jacket, pot belly and soaked to the skin whilst I was enjoying MP3s in the warm and supping at a nice hot cuppa. One look at my grin and that man knew that he was beaten
Scuse me? What's wrong with pot bellies? I think you're being a bit pot belly-ist.

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I would have stuck to my guns and had them measure me.
But I am bloody minded about things like that and after they found I
I was correct i would get them to note it on the system :D
If I feel a bit bloody-minded on the day, I may well ask them to measure the height, at least it would be settled. But the odds are I'll just want to drive orf and leave it all behind. It does occur to me that with full tanks, people, packing (and wine on the return), it might be even LOWER!

How did they know the type of Motorhome you drive I can't recall questions on Branding just size?
You have to input the make and reg no. online.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
BF Portsmouth - Caen on Checking in she got the Tape out the type in a big leather holder and got the girl from the other Check in to hold one end, I couldn't believe it really as we gave used BF dozens of times and it's never happened before, we were good and honest so no problem.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
If I feel a bit bloody-minded on the day, I may well ask them to measure the height, at least it would be settled. But the odds are I'll just want to drive orf and leave it all behind. It does occur to me that with full tanks, people, packing (and wine on the return), it might be even LOWER!

You have to input the make and reg no. online.
With BF? Never seen that! Booked last night just asked for length and height, they ask for Rez but it's not mandatory.

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
With BF? Never seen that! Booked last night just asked for length and height, they ask for Rez but it', s not mandatory.
Yes. It took so long to fill in all the required fields, I genuinely nearly crashed out to go with either Newhaven or the tunnel. Wish I had now! In fact I was so annoyed with them for fussing over the 50mm over the top phone call, I was thinking of saying "you know what, stuff it, cancel the booking". Again, I wish I had.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Road miles are always cheaper than ferry miles, especially if you use aires and don't mind a bit of easy driving on Autoroutes.

A breakfast time ferry from Dover and a day's steady driving will get you to within spitting distance of St Malo, and with more spending money :)

I agree but it means using that M25 and Dartford Crossing for me,,i would rather pay the extra and use Portsmouth Caen or in the winter Portsmouth Bilbao/Santander. Its only the kids inheritance i am spending so its not real money,,BUSBY:D:D:D

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp

Dont suppose he was bothered one way or another as no extra would go in his pocket and the man was only doing his job,,,,BUSBY..

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
BF Portsmouth - Caen on Checking in she got the Tape out the type in a big leather holder and got the girl from the other Check in to hold one end, I couldn't believe it really as we gave used BF dozens of times and it's never happened before, we were good and honest so no problem.
They tend to measure if ferry is fully (over) booked..BUSBY.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back