Brittany delightful, unspoilt and uncrowded. (1 Viewer)

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Have just returned from our three week trip around Quimperle, Brittany After much deliberation on taking the 'Toad' I decided that having a base in Mellac it would not be practical to use the MH 8.5m for exploring. With a little careful planning we used the scenic routes avoiding the peage (except the first section of the A16. ) and found three delightful aires in villages off the beaten track . I used Camping Sty Claire at Neufchatel en Bray for our first and last stops, perfectly situated just off the A16 and very good value. A stop at Fourgeres at the Aire behind the Chateau was also no problem with the toad, but you need to arrive early, it gets busy late afternoon. I had found a CL Style site in Mellac called Montloue which is owned By Carol and Keith who have been there for several years. There are six serviced hard standing Pitches in the grounds of there property outside the village of Mellac, about 20minutes from the coast. What did surprise me was the way in which the local authorities are 100per cent behind 'Le Camping Car'. Almost every village and port had motorhome parking designated areas most with drainage, at little or no cost, and because they are so small they have not yet made into the Aires Guides. Every day we found a new favourite beach, crystal clear blue sea, even if was a little chilly on entry. Most of the villages and towns have been have been stuck in a time warp and are totally unspoilt. In all out time there we only spotted three of four other Brit MHs .

Now I must get on with getting the garden straight before I can plan the next excursion, I feel the West Country or the Lakes are top of the agenda before winter sets in

Martin
Where have the rest of you been ?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
brittany isnt france . ask the locals . bit like cornwall and england .

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
brittany isnt france . ask the locals . bit like cornwall and england .
Take no notice, it's french ish, like half way house, beutiful non the less.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 14, 2013
DĂ©partement 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
[QUOTE="
Martin
Where have the rest of you been ?[/QUOTE]

We've been to Kent, but in the company of a dozen French motorhomes. I have two main comments. The first is that I was amazed at the help I was given in getting the trip planned and executed. The second was that, considering how close Kent is to France, how little European-language tourist information is available. Having said that, Leeds Castle and Canterbury Cathedral laid on excellent French language guided tours. We could also have had similar at Chatham Dockyard and the City of Canterbury

Prior to that we had a week around the town of Riom-és-Montagne in the Chantal where we tasted the excellent blue cheese which went well with the local Avèze (made from the root of the gentian).

John

Box Boy

Free Member
Jul 3, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Globecar Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Martin, Lorna and I also got back from a 3 week stay in Brittany just over a week ago. Quimperle area is just great. We spent a week at the 'Les Embruns' campsite at Le Pouldu. Recommend it! Also spent time on aires. Best was at Josselin - free with up to 50 spaces and shared with the local car park. The water point was card only however and would not accept my euro card. The small 14 c town is on the river Oust/Nantes-Brest canal with Brittany's most prestigious chateau! There and back to Dieppe we stopped at the aire at Avraches in Normandy.
Bejay

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
What is Brittany like in July and August?

We have spent a couple of weeks there in May and it was lovely but not sure it would be the same if it was jammed.

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
Have just returned from our three week trip around Quimperle, Brittany After much deliberation on taking the 'Toad' I decided that having a base in Mellac it would not be practical to use the MH 8.5m for exploring. With a little careful planning we used the scenic routes avoiding the peage (except the first section of the A16. ) and found three delightful aires in villages off the beaten track . I used Camping Sty Claire at Neufchatel en Bray for our first and last stops, perfectly situated just off the A16 and very good value. A stop at Fourgeres at the Aire behind the Chateau was also no problem with the toad, but you need to arrive early, it gets busy late afternoon. I had found a CL Style site in Mellac called Montloue which is owned By Carol and Keith who have been there for several years. There are six serviced hard standing Pitches in the grounds of there property outside the village of Mellac, about 20minutes from the coast. What did surprise me was the way in which the local authorities are 100per cent behind 'Le Camping Car'. Almost every village and port had motorhome parking designated areas most with drainage, at little or no cost, and because they are so small they have not yet made into the Aires Guides. Every day we found a new favourite beach, crystal clear blue sea, even if was a little chilly on entry. Most of the villages and towns have been have been stuck in a time warp and are totally unspoilt. In all out time there we only spotted three of four other Brit MHs .

Now I must get on with getting the garden straight before I can plan the next excursion, I feel the West Country or the Lakes are top of the agenda before winter sets in

Martin
Where have the rest of you been ?
What's the "toad'

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
It doesn't get jammed but some of the most popular coastal Aires fill up a bit quicker. We spent 3 weeks there in August and found plenty of aires with only one or two vans there already.

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
Not in the curriculum when I was in school in Washington, but then I'm old now

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Just left an ACSI site in Lanloup, the 2 space aire in village was empty but the church bells next door against the swimming pool on the site was an easy decision. Moved over to Normandy, we normally go to Pontorson, but the mosquitos are in residence, so kept going.

OP
OP
M
Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Brittany is very busy in August French National Holiday, The Toad is the tow car Hyundai I10

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
As beginners, we meant to spend our whole 2 weeks there. As it was, we wandered all the way down to St Jean de Luz, stopping at Chartres, Ile de Re, La Rochelle, Bordeuax, Dinan et al. Hardly any brits, they love you trying to speak french, the weather was baking hot. Made our way back up last week, spent one night in Brittany, lots cooler, but still pretty, tho didn't spend much time there. Normandy was awful, people losing patience with you trying to speak the language, brits everywhere determined to be in their brit gangs and calling the french frogs. Glad we went elsewhere to begin with or we'd have been disappointed. Will be doing more of Brittany in June so will keep an eye out for tips :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back