Sep 9, 2014
Near Glossop
Funster No
MH
bessacar E496
Exp
5 years
Considering buying the Britstops book. A couple of questions -

1. Has anyone bought it and never used (seemed like a good idea at the time type of thing)
2. Am I the only one who might find find it embarrassing phoning someone up and asking to park in their car park overnight?
3. Is it popular? Do you turn up and often see others there?

Cheers folks.

paul

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
1. have used it.. Suits us
2. You would be in a minority.. They are expecting phone calls., it's like calling a site
3. Some are more popular than others..

We use them to break up journeys.. Nothing more than that for us

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I have it. Was intending to use one this weekend but not going away now :(
Don't be embarrassed about phoning them - they are used to it and appreciate it.
There is a Facebook group for Britstops users that seems quite lively and will probably answer your questions in a lot more detail. Don't know if @Jim will mind a link to it here or not so I won't put one but search Britstops UK in the Facebook search and you will find it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I have it. Was intending to use one this weekend but not going away now :(
Don't be embarrassed about phoning them - they are used to it and appreciate it.
There is a Facebook group for Britstops users that seems quite lively and will probably answer your questions in a lot more detail. Don't know if @Jim will mind a link to it here or not so I won't put one but search Britstops UK in the Facebook search and you will find it.
Britstops bloke is a member on here

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Just ordered a copy yesterday .. (y)

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
Brit Stops bloke here!
Answers to your questions, Gandhi:
1. Yes, some don't ever use it - fatal flaw! :doh:
2. You don't have to phone them all up, some ask for a call, others it's not necessary (noted in the book)
3. Bit of a "piece of string" question! The places in more popular areas are busier than others, and it's busier in the summer generally. Having said that, check out the photos on our gallery and you won't see many with more than one van in.

Any more questions, fire away. Happy to answer via pm to avoid spamming up the forum.

Steve :)

Edit: sorry, can't answer about the feeling embarrassed bit, and others can obviously flesh out my answers with personal experience!

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010

1. Has anyone bought it and never used (seemed like a good idea at the time type of thing)

Well almost. We bought a Britstops when we bought our first self sufficient van. Unfortunately our very first attempt at a Britstop sort of put us off.
We called into one of the places, thought we'll have coffee here and then ask about staying over. The customer service was so bad we decided not to bother. Admittedly I think it was a staff member rather than the business owners but it just left us feeling really uneasy. So we decamped a mile up the road to a lovely little CL that was run by a lady who was very welcoming.

We did give it another go and stayed at one more place that year but didn't bother with it after that and have decided to stick with staying at CL/CS.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No

2. Am I the only one who might find find it embarrassing phoning someone up and asking to park in their car park overnight?
3. Is it popular? Do you turn up and often see others there?

Cheers folks.

paul
1. No, bought our first one in 2014 and used it loads. We really only get the weekends where both my wife and I are home, and we like to take my daughter out and have family time. It gives us much more freedom, because we can go further afield, and we don't have to worry about who's going to drive home!

2. Don't be embarrassed, the hosts are really nice people, and they signed up to the scheme, so they are expecting your call. I usually book a table if we are going to be eating at the establishment, then we can mention the Britstop thing.

3. Only ever been at a stop where someone else was there, that was near Oxford, they left early before we were awake, and they were in bed before we got back to the van, so never got to say hello to them.

Obviously some stops will appeal to some but not others, but that is the fun. Incidently we are britstopping all over the coming bank holiday weekend, got 3 in mind to stop at, and one of them is a vineyard, we have exhausted our supply from our last visit there :D

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
bought mine around 6 weeks ago and have stayed at the around 6 stops now all been really good if not a bit on the expensive side if you doine in them (the 1's i've used at least)but seeing i saved a packet by not going on a campsite the price was around the same including food and drink so for me they are great

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We have used Britstops a few times and are planning several stops when we head for Devon next month. Don't forget the hosts are in the scheme because they want you park up in their car park overnight in the hope that you might spend a few quid that they otherwise wouldn't get.

I notice that one of the farm shop Britstops (number 069 if you have the 2015 book) has started selling 'camper hampers', a selection of their products especially for motorhomers. We will be sampling one in a couple of weeks time.

Paul

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
We have used Britstops a few times and are planning several stops when we head for Devon next month. Don't forget the hosts are in the scheme because they want you park up in their car park overnight in the hope that you might spend a few quid that they otherwise wouldn't get.
Paul
We stopped at a brilliant one in Devon, don't have the number to hand, because the book is in the van, but it's in the low 40's I think. Just underneath the castle, walked the dog around the area and ended up having lunch and tea in the restaurant. And maybe a couple of beers in the bar - which had the log fire going (it was snowing on our visit!)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The way I see it, for an overnight stop they will be great.. even if you spend £20 eating, at least you have had a meal.. something to show for your money..

Lots of CLs are now £12 or more.. long gone are the days of the £2.50 to pitch on a field .. there are a few exceptions, but by and large they are not cheap.. cheaper than a commercial site certainly... but not as cheap as a French aire .. ..

I did find a CL in Kent with toilets and EHU for £9 .. (see other thread) but that is the exception rather than the rule.. around Suffolk we are struggling to find anything that cheap.. I called Church Farm Site in Aldeburgh to stay this w/e .. £22 for a no facilities pitch.. just a grass pitch.. and £30 with EHU :eek: .. no thank you ..

In saying that, for more than one night I prefer a CL or site..

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Web ought 2014 book and now 2015 and love them, it just depends on how you use your mh. They for us are like ronseal .... do exactly what they say on the tin. Highly recommend.

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
image.jpg
image.jpg
We stayed here a while ago. The Greyhound in Flempton near Thetford. Very nice stop. Quiet, great beer and food!!!
Phoning before arriving can also be helpful to you as if they are full you can plan another stop:giggle::giggle:

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
Our first year and like stroppy bird our first experience wasn't good. We were asked to park next to a barn full of junk and wheelie bins which seemed to be communal for all the local establishments. Hubby was worried we'd pick up unwanted 4 legged guests, not willing to take the risk. We made our excuses and moved on. Next two we tried were very good and we'll definitely use it for stopovers on longer trips.

Motorhome Muppets

Free Member
Dec 1, 2014
Nr Uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Bought the book for the first time this year. Used twice already. We love pub grub, so we can eat and get a free stopover as well. There is usually a web site, so you can check the site out (and menus) before deciding. I prefer the sites where you phone first, as I would not like to turn up to find it was not convenient to stay.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
To Britstops, is there any plans to do a online version. (y)

Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
Have only done one, and it was amazing! Can't remember the number but it was near my old posting at RAF Coningsby. Extremely friendly and welcoming, beautiful pitch alongside the river and although the menu was a little pricey the food was awesome! Will definitely go back if in the area. Will be using a few in May too!

cmw59

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 13, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Britstops book was our first accessory too! Looks great and read lots of positive feedback. Gotta be worth a try for 12 months? Try it out and see if it's for you. We're looking forward to going out to our first one, but not sure when yet. Don't get the MH until tomorrow - excited lots :)

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
To Britstops, is there any plans to do a online version. (y)

Not sure about online, but perhaps the guide could be bound (similar to the travel log that you can buy on here) so it lays flat. And perhaps an area in the book to log ones visits?

No plans for an online version at the mo, Mikey. Haven't ruled it out though (same as for an app).
We're also unlikely to change the binding anytime soon, tbh. Sorry, Daniel.
While happy to consider suggestions for improving the book, we've always stuck by the "KISS" principle*, and while it's working are reluctant to muck around with it.

*Keep It Simple, Stupid! :LOL:

cmw59

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 13, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Does anyone know if the locations have been made up into "Points of Interest" on a Satnav for ease of navigation? if so, how to get hold of it? Tia

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Does anyone know if the locations have been made up into "Points of Interest" on a Satnav for ease of navigation? if so, how to get hold of it? Tia

Not sure that would work as a standalone. There are various different requirements and restrictions on the locations that wouldn't be able to be recorded on a poi file so you would still need the book. One obvious example is that some require you to phone ahead and some don't.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Pretty sure answer is no. What we do is put location into google maps from post code, then locate where it actually is (in more remote locations this can be a long way away) and get a gps coord from there, we can then use the coords on the sat nav.
Also street view gives you a pretty good idea whether or not you want to stay in the location, we have rejected a few on this basis alone!

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009

No, no POI file available I'm afraid. There's the post code on each entry, and we also include written directions for the last few miles. Some entries also suggest ignoring the sat nav...

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Seven of us at a Britstops just outside Peterborough last Wednesday, they can be really handy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back