Britstops.. It's Costing Me A Fortune.. (1 Viewer)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Another example of backwards England!
Thousands of places to free camp overnight in Europe, no meals to buy, no pressure.
A common complaint I hear time and time again from European motor homers who want to come to uk, it's so expensive! !!
As a full timer, I may have to consider this purchase, but can't eat out every night lol
Not backwards, Sue, just different - and a heck of a lot smaller in acreage terms but not population terms.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
While I agree with Jim that some form of USB device would be advantageous for us, I am aware that several years ago another MHF produced a camping USB that was ultimately a dud for all sorts of reasons, I cannot imagine what it cost. However I am sure that it could with a shed-load of backing cash and expertise, be made impossible to copy. It would need to be in several formats and have online backup. Almost any CD or DVD could just be copied, so I cannot see Steve going down the digital route just yet, even though it may become the way to go.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
problem being any locked device whether book or stick is out of date in such a short time:censored:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
While I agree with Jim that some form of USB device would be advantageous for us, I am aware that several years ago another MHF produced a camping USB that was ultimately a dud for all sorts of reasons, I cannot imagine what it cost. However I am sure that it could with a shed-load of backing cash and expertise, be made impossible to copy. It would need to be in several formats and have online backup. Almost any CD or DVD could just be copied, so I cannot see Steve going down the digital route just yet, even though it may become the way to go.

Camper contact manage it for around £5 a year, also the wildcamping site now has it's own app for it's members included in their £15 per year membership. And incidentally there is a list of pub stops as well.

So it's not impossible, nor would I expect it would cost a fortune, both those mentioned are protected.

Anyone with a PC can copy the info from the book, just try searching Google for some of the pubs, most are on there, and their co-ordinates can be obtained on a Google map.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
problem being any locked device whether book or stick is out of date in such a short time:censored:

But not with an app, if it's udates are available for download on demand by members only.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Let's be fair, we might like to have an e-book version or an app... but it might not suit BritStops/Steve as a business model.
He might be quite satisfied with the current effort input, versus costs & revenue equation.

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
You can spend £22 to park in a puddle of diesel and lorry driver pi$$ at any motorway service station.

While the majority of Britstops are pubs there are a lot of other establishments in the guide. And for less than the price of a night on a club site it's definitely worth having in the van. An 18% increase in motorhomes last year, 11% caravans! And all while campsite pitches are stagnant or declining :eek: I commend Britstops for promoting such stays (y)

I agree with all of that. But I laughed like a drain when I saw RoadPro was a Britstop. Its just a spot on an industrial estate

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
@ScotJimland
If you are a member of the caravan Club The Vucan Inn at Sizewell is £14 per night inc 16amp electric and the meals in the pub are very good.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back