beltsandbraces

Free Member
Feb 14, 2017
worthing
Funster No
MH
lunar 780
Exp
we go away at least every other weekend and wondered if this was worth joining, we live on the south coast (Worthing) so is there much around our area as we don't want to travel loads of miles just for a weekend away.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Great scheme. Loads in that area as well from the normal pub stops to farm shops and wineries. We use it most weekends from the Portsmouth area and have just completed a few days around the South and North Downs.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Yes, there are quite a lot within an hour or two of you.

8-im-Eng_Map-7611.jpg

I don't know how much you know about the scheme but you should be aware that all you get is somewhere to park and that will be in the pub carpark. Don't expect campsite facilities - water, waste, electric, shower blocks, 6 metres to the next vehicle, awnings and so on. It is not by any description a network of campsites that you don't have to pay for.

It really depends on how you use your van as to whether it will work for you.

The idea of the scheme, although there isn't an obligation to buy from the host, is that you do support them by spending some money with them. If you're like us and you eat out pretty much every night when you're away then it's a no brainer. If however you prefer to take everything with you, do all your cooking in the van and like to spend all your time sat in the van then Britstops probably isn't right for you.

Reactions: awg
Upvote 0

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
the wife is not keen on cooking (n) so going out for a meal is always the better option
Then its BritStops ahead then(y) The only downside we have ever found is that it isn't always practical to sit outside with awning out etc especially in a Pub Car park. If we really want to sit out and possible BBQ, we would opt for a farm shop, Farm Park or Canal / Riverside stop. If you could give two hoots either way; BritStops is 4 U 4 sure.;)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
beltsandbraces

beltsandbraces

Free Member
Feb 14, 2017
worthing
Funster No
MH
lunar 780
Exp
got a nice brand new awning with the van, and brand new its staying having watched the tuggers at campsites!!!! I don't think my marriage could handle putting one up, let alone taking one down :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
If sitting outside with awning out or bbq ing your evening meal is your thing you cannot do this in a pub car park, so therefore a downside.
But!!!! If sitting outside with awning out or bbq ing your evening meal, why would you want Brit Stops.
Brit Stops is not that type of parking. It's not a campsite and doesn't suggest being that but it's fantastic for what it is.

Upvote 0

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
But!!!! If sitting outside with awning out or bbq ing your evening meal, why would you want Brit Stops.
Brit Stops is not that type of parking. It's not a campsite and doesn't suggest being that but it's fantastic for what it is.
Agreed.. Again!! :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
This is one of the differences between britstops and France passion which it is modelled on , never found a fp yet where you can't get your table and chairs out, and mostly in fields and things.

Upvote 0

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
This is one of the differences between britstops and France passion which it is modelled on , never found a fp yet where you can't get your table and chairs out, and mostly in fields and things.
Mind you in saying you can't, has anyone? I stayed at a pub recently and a German couple who was in the car park as well, had their awning out and in the morning, cooked up their breakfast on the cadac. :unsure: It maybe just a Brit thing, but it just doesn't seem right; in a pub at least. ;) Many a Farm Shop, Wineries or Canal side we have had the bbq out. Just not in a pub car park.

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
True but expected to buy at FP where no pressure from Brit Stops

Upvote 0

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
Many a Farm Shop, Wineries or Canal side we have had the bbq out. Just not in a pub car park.

We haven't joined Britstops because we didnt think they would be the kind of places where we could get the sun loungers out and just relax. Not a criticism, I fully get what Britstops are offering so we may well join in 2018. (y)

Perhaps there is an extra 'benefit' that Britstops could offer by highlighting which stops are happy for bbq's and loungers. :)

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Whether there's space, or whether or not the host will turn a blind eye, I don't think is really relevant.

It's not really the right thing to do to make it that obvious that you're camping. Making the car park look like a campsite, or worse like intinerants have moved in, is only likely to cause problems for the host down the line when people with too much time on their hands stick their noses in.

There's a code of conduct on the Britstops website. It's pretty clear on what's expected of you and what is unacceptable.

As I posted previously if you want to behave like you're on a campsite then stay on a campsite.

Upvote 0

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
Any ideas roughly what sort of percentage of Britstops we would be welcome at with a 8.5m tri-axle motorhome?

I am sure that not everyone would have space or want us to take up two spaces in the carpark.

Upvote 0

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Any ideas roughly what sort of percentage of Britstops we would be welcome at with a 8.5m tri-axle motorhome?

I am sure that not everyone would have space or want us to take up two spaces in the carpark.
Just look for those who can take >30 ft. There are a lot.

Upvote 0

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
We have used Britstops a few times and it has paid the joining fee.

One pub we stopped at near Mumbles in Wales we could have hooked up to their electric and filled with water.
Most say max size allowed on carpark.

I wouldn't dream of having an awning out and cooking breakfast, i think it a bit rude.

Upvote 0

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006

All of the ones that I've tried.

Correct, there will, undoubtedly, be some of those.

We take encouragement from those who indicate that they can accommodate multiple motorhomers.

Your size and number of axles is not a reason not to join.

Ian

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back