LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/britstop-update-day-5.90225/

Another glorious sunny morning to wake up too and in a nice sun trap too, makes it's all the more worthwhile when the suns out.

Mum turned up at 0800hrs as arranged and we dutifully fed her bacon butties, 2 mugs of tea and a mug of coffee. Sat chatting for a few hours before saying our farewells with more tears from the female of the species and then prepped for the move. Dumped the grey as we were sat right over a drain and wouldn't cause a nuance to anyone else. I did get the fridge to work on gas after being unplugged last night. I was worried that the angle would be too great, but I managed to level up, so no harm done to a fridge full of fresh meats, fish and salad. One of mums carers also popped in to say hello. She's a friend of mine and also the main manager of all the carers and asked why I wasn't plugged in as usual, but I didn't make a drama out of it, as mum has to live there after all and I never wanted to get the other lady in trouble. Seems by all accounts she a bit of a grizzly bear with everyone.

Set off about 1130, only to find the little one way system lane blocked by contractors who were re-surfacing the road with boiling tarmac and stone chips, only coming the wrong way down the lane and causing all sorts of problems with the traffic. Firstly you would have thought they'd have given notice or sign posted the fact that so many large lorries would be blocking the road in the wrong direction and secondly, I couldn't see any reason whatsoever for them carrying out the resurface work. One of the best roads in the village!! More madness of the council and totally beyond me I'm afraid.

Finally got past the contractors, but only after having to sit and wait in the hedgerow for them to complete the road as they passed. Was also worried about hot tar on the m/h, but thankfully that didn't happen. I then set off and couldn't help but fill my new tyres with all the chippings, which I couldn't fully remove, so dutifully spread them all over the A143. Felt pretty bad doing so, but my hands were tied so to speak. Hope no one lost a windscreen because of me or any of the other cars that got stuck down the lane and then ventured onto the main road.

Now sitting in a nice lay-by on a B road and having lunch, just relaxing and watching the world go by. We're only 5 miles form BritStop 211. I called them first thing this morning and they were lovely on the phone, so all booked in and can't wait. It promises to be a lovely view along the way, so I'll keep you posted later.

Arrived at the 211 and all I can say again is wow. The pictures do it little justice as it's simply wonderful. We were met by the landlord who quickly showed us to our parking spot so all settled in for the night. We're around the back of the place which suits us fine and probably quieter for later tonight. It's a popular place and right on the seafront and marina. Speaking to the staff they served up hundreds of meals yesterday, so a slick and well run place and one that's worth the journey to visit.

Did our usual as soon as we pulled up and booked straight in and was all done in less than 5 mins. We're not on EHU as we've not asked for it and we don't need fresh or to empty any black or grey either. So sat in the glorious sunshine and watching it slowly set across the water, highlighting all the boats and the marina. Absolutely lovely.

We met another nice couple and shared stories over a few drinks and we'll meet again for a bar snack later. They're booked into accommodation and not in a m/h, but social fun people to chat too.

We'll be setting off around 1100hrs again tomorrow and plan to end up at 138 for the night, so more BritStop info to follow.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It means little to me as I don't have an Enigma machine to decode the references. Could some pictures be posted? I am sure it could be done in a way which doesn't compromise the identity of the locations. Otherwise it's just a cryptic crossword. I am coming round to the idea of Britstops but need to be convinced it isn't just a collection of tatty pub car parks! :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Hi

I am following your travels with interest having just got my Britstops book.
It seems quite amazing that you have found a space every time in the high season! Do you call them before setting off ? It is a shame that some people spoil it by overstaying their welcome . They should be given a gentle reminder about the length of their stay. We will be sampling some of your stops later in September and hope to stay in some adults only CC CLs as well .
Eagerly awaiting your next report.

Caramammal

Free Member
Jul 29, 2014
Funster No
MH
Don't own one - yet.
Exp
Sorry i havent read your previous posts, are you doing all Britstops or do you plan to rock up at a campsite at some point? I really like your MH...my hubby is hankering after the dakota, fixed bed?

OP
OP
PP Bear

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
This thread is my first stop every morning, really enjoying it, so much so I bought the Britstops book to see where you were. Wonderful they are all near me (y)

Clive that's uncanny as we've just arrived at BritStop 124. We changed our minds about going to 138 as we wanted to get nearer the South Coast, I guess that's the beauty of a m/h and BritStops :)

I'd just been saying to Di that I wasn't going to bother with anymore updates, as from first sight it looked as if not many people enjoyed them or read the post. So we're now sitting out on the very edge of the Sout UK and sipping a nice glass of chilled spritzer overlooking the cliffs and lovely flat calm sea, and I opened up the thread and read your comments, plus a few others that said they were enjoying reading about our travels.

So the decision is that we'll keep the thread going while we can, as people like you are enjoying it.

Thanks Clive :)

OP
OP
PP Bear

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
It means little to me as I don't have an Enigma machine to decode the references. Could some pictures be posted? I am sure it could be done in a way which doesn't compromise the identity of the locations. Otherwise it's just a cryptic crossword. I am coming round to the idea of Britstops but need to be convinced it isn't just a collection of tatty pub car parks! :D
Spend the money and buy the book, I'll lend you the £25 if you like :rofl:

There are pictures on nearly all the threads I've posted bar one as it was at my mums :)

I can assure you it's soooo much more than "tatty car parks" and what do you want for nothing!!!

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
PP Bear

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Hi

I am following your travels with interest having just got my Britstops book.
It seems quite amazing that you have found a space every time in the high season! Do you call them before setting off ? It is a shame that some people spoil it by overstaying their welcome . They should be given a gentle reminder about the length of their stay. We will be sampling some of your stops later in September and hope to stay in some adults only CC CLs as well .
Eagerly awaiting your next report.
Hi Cobweb, thanks for your comments :)

I never really thought of it that way, I've always phoned ahead, even when the good book hasn't shown a need too, I just like to set up Comms with the stopover before I get there. I guess I also don't want to arrive and find a carpark already full :)

I also park up and head straight into the place to introduce myself and ask if I'm parked ok. To date I've not had a problem and have been met with nothing but kindness and good manners :)

I'll post my update later tonight and thanks for reading :)

OP
OP
PP Bear

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Sorry i havent read your previous posts, are you doing all Britstops or do you plan to rock up at a campsite at some point? I really like your MH...my hubby is hankering after the dakota, fixed bed?
Hi Caramammal, I'd love to do them all one day, but this trip we've simply decided on a large circuit to see how we get on :)

It's been nothing short of brilliant so far and highly recommended for anyone wanting to travel and a small sense of adventure :)

We'll be stopping at a campsite tomorrow as we want to stop there for 2 days and visit friends :)

Have to say we love the Dakota, but then I guess we're biased about it. People say you won't usually find the right m/h until you have owned 3, but I did so much research about what I wanted, that we got it right the first time. It's simply brilliant for us :)

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
So pleased you will continue. Since you've been going I've bought the book and booked 3 extra days holiday so I can tour my way from the Train Rally Meet to the Lincoln Show using Britstops. The joys of being a solo camper, only have to please myself :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back