British food to take to France (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
You can take bread in the freezer .. If bread is ever on special at the supermarket we always stock up..Lasts as long as you like pretty much !

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I like very dark high cocoa content chocolate but I've heard some people like the Cadbury type of chocolate which isn't so easy to find in France - oh, and creme eggs. Also crackers and other biscuits for cheese as often all you can get is the TUC type.

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
When we use to go to France, went every year for three weeks for decades, certain foods were forbidden, like bacon, etc. it was in the documents we had , unless they have relaxed the rules, which I doubt knowing France.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Taking the suggested list of foods abroad,whats the point why not stay at home and you can be sure of supplies! As a foodie the pleasure to me is trying new foods but not crumble made with Paxo!

A bit harsh I think . As someone who as lived in France for over 10 years and normally eats and drinks like the french dies not mean you do not miss certain foods now and again like proper baked beans and bacon and for a Scot haggis !! I prefer eating as the French as I think it is more healthy ( that is until Mc Do gets everywhere and out of hand :Smile:)

Also for me I still like to bake as I did inUK from time to time and some ingredients like golden syrup are difficult to find . Yes I have tried honey and maple syrup but they are not the same.

If I could not get these things it would not be the end of the world and not make me think of returning but all people living abroad no matter which nationality love a bit of their old country.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Also for me I still like to bake as I did in UK from time to time and some ingredients like golden syrup are difficult to find . Yes I have tried honey and maple syrup but they are not the same.

My sister lived and worked in France in the 1980s. She used to take golden syrup and black treacle back with her as she was famous for making rich fruit cakes and light fruit cakes. Although she was a teacher the people she rented her house from suggested she open a tea room as they thought she would make more money that way!

She was there long before the import of alcohol limits were relaxed and when she came home for good she had several cases of wine that had been given to her as presents by her neighbours - she declared it all at customs saying she knew she was way over the limit so they would have to confiscate it as she couldn't afford to pay the duty. The customs officer opened every case and confiscated three bottles (from different cases) and gave her a form clearing the rest of the wine. It was Christmas and she did make their life easy - I suppose it didn't hurt being an attractive young woman either!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Taking the suggested list of foods abroad,whats the point why not stay at home and you can be sure of supplies! As a foodie the pleasure to me is trying new foods but not crumble made with Paxo!

All well and good if you have eclectic tastes,,, but for me, a confirmed VERY boring and unadventurous eater**, I do suffer somewhat when abroad.

I do not go for the food at all. I go to meet people, see the sites and sweat in the sun !

My idea of adventurous eating would be a different MAKE of baked beans !! :thumb:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Are there not rules on taking certain foods abroad ?:Smile:

You're ok within EU. In event of something like Foot and Mouth then restrictions will be put in place.

Cheddar cheese-- mega expensive in France. I used to dream of Cathedral City.
Maybe chutney to go with it?
Ketchup
Digestive biscuits
Disinfectant ( just a couple of bottles of supermarket cheapo is better than anything you get in France that masquerades as disinfectant)
Chocolate
Baked beans.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Hehee, daughter is off tomorrow for a week with English friends who run a fishing Lake.

They will be loaded down with catering quantities of vacuum packed bacon, etc and plenty of Galaxy chocolate for the lady of the maison, not to mention giant Smarties Easter eggs for the kids, even though the eldest is 19 !

I would say the things I miss are cheddar cheese, Bisto granules, decent tea bags and soft bread - yes I do like very crusty baguettes but I have a snapped bottom dentures at this very moment because of it. At over ÂŁ200 a time, it makes eating the bread a very expensive game, not to mention inconvenience.

Ooops, forgot I was signed in as Pete, who hasn't got dentures!

Jenny

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.
Another item I love and miss "Marrowfat Processed Peas" :thumb:

The Peas here in Spain are like bullets! Even the "Petite Pois" so end up using Frozen Peas which just isn't the same - especially on Fish & Chip night! Only home made - no chippies either!

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I like very dark high cocoa content chocolate but I've heard some people like the Cadbury type of chocolate which isn't so easy to find in France - oh, and creme eggs. Also crackers and other biscuits for cheese as often all you can get is the TUC type.

Yes definitely Cadbury Cream Eggs :thumb:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Don't take anything!

When in ROME!

Tell 'em to asimulate with the locals!

If you are going to live overseas! then BE overseas!

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Don't take anything!

When in ROME!

Tell 'em to asimulate with the locals!

If you are going to live overseas! then BE overseas!

Quite right, but you can buy most of the things listed in this thread if you look around.
One thing that worried my Mother in Law when we said we were moving to France is the lack of Chedder Cheese.

Broken Link Removed

Worry over.

Although I am at a loss as to why anyone would want to take bread to France!

Allan

Deleted User
Quite right, but you can buy most of the things listed in this thread if you look around.
One thing that worried my Mother in Law when we said we were moving to France is the lack of Chedder Cheese.

Broken Link Removed

Worry over.

[HI]Although I am at a loss as to why anyone would want to take bread to France![/HI]

Allan

Warbie's thick toasty::bigsmile:

Somethings just not the same with the admittedly superior French bread........fried spam butties, bacon butties, sausage butties........

On second thoughts the thought of a bacon butty on thick slices from a boule 'bien cuit' pas coupé from the small boulangerie in St.André des Eaux has got my juices flowing.

Hard on the gums though !!

What about crumpets.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
true.. French birds taste like chicken... not fish

other suggestions.

Corn Flakes

Farmhouse Cheddar

Marmite

Jim kellogs corn flakes are in all the supermarkets...we find most supermarkets now stock a strong cheddar cheese....also Rhubarb is quite plentiful..

Here are some items to take

Baked beans
Gravy mix
mint sauce
cheese & onion crisps
brown sauce
salad cream
curry paste
curry sauce
frozen scampi
custard powder or custard
Jelly
cream crackers / water biscuits
mint sauce
English tea bags...yes they do have tea in France..but not to quality of the Uk or at the UK price..many of the teas in France are flavored / Fragrance teas..or Liptons tea which is a very weak tea

these are some to start you off

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
You're ok within EU. In event of something like Foot and Mouth then restrictions will be put in place.

Cheddar cheese-- mega expensive in France. I used to dream of Cathedral City.
Maybe chutney to go with it?
Ketchup
Digestive biscuits
Disinfectant ( just a couple of bottles of supermarket cheapo is better than anything you get in France that masquerades as disinfectant)
Chocolate
Baked beans.

Hollyberry..???
Ketchup is in every supermarket.....also cheddar cheese, CHOCOLATE they have more than the UK as the French seem to like everything chocolate or chocolate flavoured..digestive biscuits are now in many supermarkets...:Doh: we travel all over France so it's not just in our region

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
deep fried mars bar/snickers/cadbury creme egg/bounty/haggis :thumb::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The only things we always take are bacon and tea (we get through gallons). You can buy tea in France of course but may have trouble getting a particular brand, and they tend to be in small packs and correspondingly expensive. Most other things seem to be better in France.

Don't take bacon to Holland though, as that's where most of ours comes from.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I would just make sure you get a food parcel from France in return :thumb:.......Which would most on here sooner have

fish and chips cup of tea/moules frites glass of sancerre
bangers and mash/cassoulet
pint of real ale/glass of your favorite french wine (mines old vines grenache laguedoc)
pub lunch/good fixed price menu in a French restaurant

Or perhaps all of them

David

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
deep fried mars bar/snickers/cadbury creme egg/bounty/haggis :thumb::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

You can get mars bars...snickers. lion bars.all the time even in Lidl even malteesers... and bounty's now and again.....
BUT YES to bringing Haggis and Cab cream eggs:thumb:

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I would just make sure you get a food parcel from France in return :thumb:.......Which would most on here sooner have

fish and chips cup of tea/moules frites glass of sancerre Fish & Chips every time with a good pint of beer
bangers and mash/cassoulet....Bangers and Mash :thumb:
pint of real ale/glass of your favorite french wine (mines old vines grenache laguedoc)
pub lunch/good fixed price menu in a French restaurant
A glass of real ale and a pub lunch every time:thumb:

Or perhaps all of them

David
Now is there anything else you want me to respond to:RollEyes::thumb:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Don't know if the photos worked, but what about French stuff you like that you can't find here, this yogurt is everywhere in France and a I love it but can't find any here, it's sort of sugar flavoured plain yogurt

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 5

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back