Free Member
Oct 18, 2014
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Im wanting to motorhome
I came across this website and wondered if anyone has personal experience, it seems to good to be true

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
It's all legit! And I believe they are also members on here. We are going to be buying the new book in March ;)

Upvote 0
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
We have used Britstops for the last 2 years. It's a great scheme if you don't need EHU. In fact we are using one in Dover on Wed night as we are catching the early ferry on Thurs morning.
Happy travelling
John

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I meant Britstops were members, as in funsters ;) I'm stuffed with veggie stew and dumplings!! :whatthe:
Both really..........

Going off topic, stupid question time.......... What veg do you put in your casserole? They go all limp and soggy when I do one.

Apologies for the hijack.....

Upvote 0

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
A good casserole / stew is like a good BBQ.
Should be cooked low and slow.
Don't overcook, though.

Sorry...back to Britstops.
Thinking of taking a shufti at it too.

Upvote 0

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
Both really..........

Going off topic, stupid question time.......... What veg do you put in your casserole? They go all limp and soggy when I do one.

Apologies for the hijack.....

Today, it was carrots, swede, parsnips and butternut squash. All done on the hob. Once it boils, you simmer it for about 1hr 30mins without the lid on. Reduces the sauce to a thick one. Last 2omins you drop the dumplings in and simmer with the lid on ;)

Upvote 0

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
I came across this website and wondered if anyone has personal experience, it seems to good to be true
Definitely NOT too good to be true - we use them all the time - just brilliant, and what with CLs, CSs, it gives you another option if you don't need EHU (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ruth

Ruth

Free Member
Oct 18, 2014
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Im wanting to motorhome
Definitely NOT too good to be true - we use them all the time - just brilliant, and what with CLs, CSs, it gives you another option if you don't need EHU (y)

Was thinking of it as a way to save on paying site fees really, and kind of more wild but safe as i would be a lone female

Upvote 0

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
We are off for half term next week and will have at least 4 nights at Brit stops, a mix of vineyards, farm stops and pubs with good food.

We'd much rather use a Brit stop than a site.

Upvote 0

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Was thinking of it as a way to save on paying site fees really, and kind of more wild but safe as i would be a lone female
We use it as an alternative to site fees, although sometimes the cost of a meal and a couple of drinks are more than the site fees - but the evening you have in the Britstop is usually much better than any CL or CS! We've never stayed in one we haven't enjoyed yet!

Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
We have been using BritStops for a few years and agree with all the above that it is a great scheme.(y)

However we use the scheme for convenience and not as a means for free camping as we always make a point of spending on whatever is on offer such as meals, drinks, meat & farm produce. Usually we spend more than we would on a site as although spending is not compulsory if everyone used the facilities for free the stops would soon disappear.

Upvote 0
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Brite stops didn't use it last year so haven't renewed this year when were out we just stop at pubs and ask to use there car parks have only ever been refused once this year
as long as your spending in there pub or restaurant they don't normally mind.
bill

Upvote 0

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
We have been using BritStops for a few years and agree with all the above that it is a great scheme.(y)

However we use the scheme for convenience and not as a means for free camping as we always make a point of spending on whatever is on offer such as meals, drinks, meat & farm produce. Usually we spend more than we would on a site as although spending is not compulsory if everyone used the facilities for free the stops would soon disappear.

Absolutely, if we want free we wild camp.

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
while can a manage without electric for a night or two..what about toilet dumping:unsure:

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009

Funny you should say that - my wife describes Brit Stops as "being a bit like wild camping, only with permission". (y)

We have been members since the beginning in 2011. It's grown enormously since then and is well worth joining. The range and variety of places you can stay is amazing. We're not huge fans of pubs (of which there are plenty included) and only use them occasionally; but there are lots of garden centres and farms shops which we really enjoy. Lots of other interesting places too. Highly recommended (and no, I'm not on commission - more's the pity ;)).

Mike

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
while can a manage without electric for a night or two..what about toilet dumping:unsure:

A few of the Brit Stops have facilities for dumping black waste - it's indicated in the location listing in the directory. Also, many of the Brit Stops have WC's available (NOT for emptying your toilet) which can save using your own on-board loo. A few also can provide a hook-up, although you'd normally expect a modest charge if available.

Mike

Upvote 0

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Discovered these at the start of this year and have stayed in several. All have been excellent! Good welcome and we have always had a meal. Well worth the cost of joining.

The station inn at Ribblehead had stunning views, steam trains and was a good, "proper", pub!

Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
We are not normally on a BritStop for more than one night and many, particularly pubs, have toilets to use so the cassette doesn't fill up so quickly.

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
A few of the Brit Stops have facilities for dumping black waste - it's indicated in the location listing in the directory. Also, many of the Brit Stops have WC's available (NOT for emptying your toilet) which can save using your own on-board loo. A few also can provide a hook-up, although you'd normally expect a modest charge if available.

Mike
Thanks for explaining.....we always have a SOG so no chemicals..have dumped in toilets before now with a clean conscience..

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back