Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013
Anyone got expierence of Brit Stops? Is it worth the joining fee etc. Their web site does not give much info as a 'non subsriber'

Thanks in advance for the advice.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
[HI]My nephew has a country pub near Northallerton and since he joined Britstops at my suggestion he has had a succession of lovely motorhomers,[/HI] all of whom, except one, ate or drank in the pub or bought from his farm shop. One lot even had breakfast as well. Since he can allocate only one MH parking place per night, it is unfair for people to phone and book his spot and then not turn up, or turn up, have a look and decide they don't want to stay over. He has had to turn people away in favour of those barstewards. However in spite of those few, he has found the system good and is enthusiastic about it. :thumb: :thumb:

Catherine

To clear up an unanswered question ..

Perhaps you could ask you nephew if he has a caravan site licence or has been issued with a Caravan site exemption cert. from Brit Stops or an associated club?

If not, is he aware of that he is breaking the law and putting his 'license to sell alcohol' at risk ?

It is one matter for landlords to allow motorhomes to stay overnight at their pub on an ad-hoc basis.. I'm sure hundreds do this.. but quite different to make it official and advertise the fact.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I don't think a pub/farm/vineyard/ is breaking the law if they let a visitor or two stop overnight. I've definitley read this recently. I'll get back to you if I find it.

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I don't think a pub/farm/vineyard/ is breaking the law if they let a visitor or two stop overnight. I've definitley read this recently. I'll get back to you if I find it.

It depends on how many at a time and the number of occasions in any 12 month period Jim.

The 1960 Act allows use of land as a caravan site by someone travelling in a caravan as long as three conditions are met:
a) the stay is for no more than two nights
b) no more than one caravan being used for human habitation is on the land at the time
c) the land is not used for human habitation in caravans for more than 28 days in any 12 month period.
So, a pub/farm/vineyard can perfectly legally allow people in motorhomes to stay overnight occasionally but breaks the law if there is more than one motorhome in use at any one time and/or a stay exceeds 2 nights and/or such use is allowed for more than 28 days in any 12 month period.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

I think you may have this in mind Jim..

but there are strict conditions..

From the 1960 Caravan sites Act

FIRST SCHEDULE
Cases where a Caravan Site Licence is not required

Use within curtilage of a dwellinghouse

1A site licence shall not be required for the use of land as a caravan site if the use is incidental to the enjoyment as such of a dwellinghouse within the curtilage of which the land is situated.
Use by a person travelling with a caravan for one or two nights

2Subject to the provisions of paragraph 13 of this Schedule, a site licence shall not be required for the use of land as a caravan site by a person travelling with a caravan who brings the caravan on to the land for a period which includes not more than two nights—
(a)if during that period no other caravan is stationed for the purposes of human habitation on that land or any adjoining land in the same occupation, and

(b)if, in the period of twelve months ending with the day on which the caravan is brought on to the land, the number of days on which a caravan was stationed anywhere on that land or the said adjoining land for the purposes of human habitation did not exceed twenty-eight.

EDIT.. pipped to the post by Graham..:Doh:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I do know that Steve has spoken at length with Natural England (DEFRA)about this issue, However I do knot know what the arrangements are between them. I'm sure that the busier stops may well have exemptions in place. Steve is an honest hard-working guy with plenty of integrity I'm pretty sure he would not encourage his 'stops' to break the law.

Upvote 0

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
Hi everyone,

Apologies for not being here earlier but I was doing the day job, and then at the dentist (broken crown apparently - flippin' expensive to remedy, so please buy the 2014 edition of Brit Stops so I can afford to chew again).

Anyway, in a nutshell, the law is that anyone is allowed to host one motorhome on their land for one or two nights. They can have 28 total stays per year.

If any of our hosts have had more than this, we haven't been told, and we certainly haven't heard of any host being told to stop by their council. We do know of one instance where the host was told by a council representative that they were not worried about how many stopovers they have.

As for insurance, all our hosts are retail premises of some kind or another, with customer car parks. So they all ought to have public liability insurance. All our members, unless they are breaking the law, have insurance for their motorhomes. We've had one incident where a member hit a gate post when entering the farm, and the matter was sorted out between their insurance companies.

As far as all this goes, on the one hand we could think that "all publicity is good publicity", but on the other, I can't see any benefit to us as motorhomers of gnawing away at this bone. Brit Stops has over the last three years increased the number of places we can use our motorhomes, adding a wide range of interesting places, and at the same time brought much needed custom to out-of-the-way businesses and potentially struggling village and rural pubs. Surely this is a win-win situation?

The other good news is that the results of a survey sent out to all our members at the end of last year were almost 100% positive - as was the feedback from the great majority of our hosts, who were canvassed by phone. We like to think this reinforces that we're doing something right, and that this is a success story for motorhoming. A good point was made in the UK Aires thread about people not moaning about the lack of overnight parking for motorhomers in the UK, but doing something about it. We are.

And while I'm here - just so you know, there's free p&p on all pre-orders placed in February, or the very first copies will be available at the NEC. Do come and chat to us at a show, and if you see us on the road – we'll be waving from the Frankia! :thumb:

Steve :Smile:

Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Right, think about this for one minute. You have a MOTORHOME, by its definition its NOT a caravan. Its a big CAR that you can sleep in if you wish. As long as you do not CAMP ie, put out chairs and tables, washing etc, there is no difference than PARKING your CAR on any land whatsoever, regardless of if its a pub carpark or Tesco carpark. Personally I would prefer a pub carpark than a supermarket carpark. But then again that's my choice. I don't expect to have to phone my insurance company and ask if its OK to park every time I want to put the kettle on :Doh:. For heavens sake be sensible about this PLEASE.

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Right, think about this for one minute. You have a MOTORHOME, [HI]by its definition its NOT a caravan.[/HI] Its a big CAR that you can sleep in if you wish. As long as you do not CAMP ie, put out chairs and tables, washing etc, there is no difference than PARKING your CAR on any land whatsoever, regardless of if its a pub carpark or Tesco carpark. Personally I would prefer a pub carpark than a supermarket carpark. But then again that's my choice. I don't expect to have to phone my insurance company and ask if its OK to park every time I want to put the kettle on :Doh:. For heavens sake be sensible about this PLEASE.

Unfortunately Dave, under the 1960 Act, it is when used for habitation.

Upvote 0

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
The insurance one is not as clear cut as it may appear.
Yes there may well be public liability insurance for retail premesis, but, normal retail insurance would not be expected to cover someone parked up ‘outside trading hours cooking using gas. Not all Brit Stop members are retail, therefore they may not have such cover.
Definitions of Camping, cars etc would be one that may have to be defined in a court of law.
Issue, if you park your motorhome in a Tesco Car Park and simply sit in it all night playing scrabble, is that camping? If on the other hand you park in the same car park and cook a meal but don’t sleep is that camping? Or, Park up, sleep and don’t cook is that camping?

What is a car?
Source HMRC
Cars
In most cases, VAT-registered businesses can't reclaim the VAT when they buy a car.
VAT rules say that a car is any motor vehicle of a kind normally used on public roads. It must have three or more wheels and meet one of the following conditions:
• It must be constructed - or adapted - mainly for carrying passengers.
• It must have roofed accommodation behind the driver's seat. This must either be fitted with side windows already or be constructed - or adapted - so that side windows can be fitted.
In addition, the following are not cars for VAT purposes:
• vehicles capable of accommodating only one person or suitable for carrying twelve or more people including the driver
• caravans, ambulances and prison vans
vehicles of three tonnes or more unladen weight
• special purpose vehicles, such as ice cream vans, mobile shops, hearses, bullion vans, and breakdown and recovery vehicles
• vehicles with a payload of one tonne or more

So a motorhome is not a car by definition..well for VAT purposes.

I am still to be convinced, don't get me wrong, like the principle, but, there could be issues, as yet unresolved.

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I don't know why some are having digs at this excellent scheme, insurance problems! Why? parked up legally on a site that appears in a guide book:Doh: There are places to worry about insurance cover, such as when your vehicle is left overnight in a garage, but I don't think is one.

France Passion is brilliant, used by thousands of Brits. I doubt any France Passion user is worrying about insurance, and I don't see why they should. Here with many CLs going well over a tenner a night. we need something like it here. Someone gets off their arse, and is working hard to try and get us something similar, and ooh it's a grey area, ooh are we insured. :Doh: sometimes I think we really should be more like the French.

Upvote 0

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Jim

I think its a great idea, along with French Passion..

The biggest difference being that French Law and British Law is so different along with the French attitude towards Motorhomes/Campingcars. I bet the Insurance companies also have a different approach. It only takes one smart arse claims assessor to have an opinion and it could cost someone a fortune.

Again, is there any doubt as to the legality of parking at a site, what if two vans turn up does that make the second van unlawful, who keeps a record of the number of days etc. I am merely pointing out that there could be issues.
As I pointed out, the definitions being used are open to interpretation.

If Brit Stops are sure that the issues have been sorted then job well done..

Britain the land of red tape and insurance 'get outs'

Upvote 0

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
So there !!!

Anyone got expierence of Brit Stops? Is it worth the joining fee etc. Their web site does not give much info as a 'non subsriber'

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Well Nigel&Debbie, there you have it, in all it's various convolutions !:Doh:

Are you going to get the book ?????:winky::winky::winky:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Can't understand why this has all kicked off now,it's been going three years and this insurance thing has never reared its head before, we just took it as granted, I think a lot of people just want to find something to worry about.
I think it's excellent but as I said can cost more than you think, I hadn't any worrys about anything else.

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I really cant see the problem to be honest. If your over nighting in your motorhome, your insured. If your van caused damage to a third parties property, your insured.

If your park in the car par of a business, your insured.

As for the maximum of 28 nights a year, I would suspect that few few of the venues in Steve's excellent scheme will get to the point where that became a problem.

Even if it did, I am sure the Licensing authorities would hardly care or be interested, because the business provides little or no facilities, just a place to park a vehicle, for a potential customers convenience.

Frankly I doubt that the relevant authorities would know how to establish if there was a problem anyway, which I don't think there is.

Do lorry parks have planning permission to allow drivers to sleep over? the "rule" from 1960 from memory states no more than five at any one time and no more than 28 days a year. Overnight lorry and car parks flout this and no one is interested.

I think that it would have to be a very stupid and brave Council, to check every night, for 365 days, just to count how often a potential customer parked over night in a private car park. And once they had the information, what would they do? Try to stop it? what is "it"? a potential customer parking in a car park for a few hours longer than usual?

I can't see any political appetite for that, nor do I think that the public would consider it a good use of precious local council resources.

And ultimately, if the business in question, had so many people staying and made additional sales because of it, that it became a problem, the business could either apply for change of use of the car park, or, become a Certificated Location under the auspices of one of the clubs and be out of the reach of the local authority.

I think that it is a great scheme, Steve puts loads of time in to building a really good network of stopovers and I hope that the scheme goes from strength to strength :thumb:

Eddie

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960 is specific to use of land for use as a caravan site and doesn't cover lorry parks/truck stops.

All lorry parks are subject to planning consent, of course, which will specify how they can be used. MSAs are operated under specific licences and agreements with central government. Some TROs covering lay-bys prohibit overnight use by caravans/motorhomes but allow use by HGVs. All in all there is recognition of the specific restrictions which apply to commercial drivers over private drivers and the consequent lack of choice they may experience as to when and where they can stop for the night.

I should have thought it highly unlikely that any local authority would spend precious resources on checking usage of business car parks every night. They would, though, have to react to any complaints received - in a similar manner to Broken Link Removed.

Upvote 0
Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
In addition, the following are not cars for VAT purposes:
• vehicles capable of accommodating only one person or suitable for carrying twelve or more people including the driver
• caravans, ambulances and prison vans
vehicles of three tonnes or more unladen weight
• special purpose vehicles, such as ice cream vans, mobile shops, hearses, bullion vans, and breakdown and recovery vehicles
• vehicles with a payload of one tonne or more

So a motorhome is not a car by definition..well for VAT purposes.

Some are.... ::bigsmile:

Britain the land of red tape and insurance 'get outs'

Yes...and this thread is starting to get me down. I'm a happy Brit Stops user and I can honestly say that every time I've used it, I've been the only vehicle staying overnight*. But what a pity that we live in a country where even something as useful and, on the face of it, straightforward as this scheme can potentially get bogged down in, as you say, so much potential red tape and get outs.

(* - if the restriction is 1 vehicle, why does the Brit Stop book have a graphic for available spaces that varies from 1 to 5?)

On a positive note, for anybody who uses the scheme...if you're staying at location 310 (mid Wales)....they do a nice curry (including vegetarian) with rice, chips or both. And free EHU...they wouldn't take an extra tip to cover it either :thumb:

Upvote 0

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Britstops was the first book we bought when we got our MH last Easter. We've used it all over the country, and it's been brilliant. From the World Championship Nettle Eating contest at the Bottle, to Cricket on the Green at the Flying Horse the night before our Eurotunnel Crossing, a Landlord's fantastic acoustic night at the Grampus Inn, and a lovely warm reception and beautiful meal at the Nent Hall Hotel, ... to name but a few. We have eaten and drank at every one and at farm shops we have bought the best bacon, pies, jams etc that we have ever tasted.

Yes, it may be more expensive than a CL, but we embrace Britstops in the same way as France Passion, we get to chat with the hosts, and instead of paying for water or electric, we get wine/pate/ice cream/real ales/ and a real feeling of connection with the hosts.

For us, Steve and Mandy's project was what made the transition from caravan to motorhome such a success - long may they continue :thumb:

Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
We joined Brit Stops last year and found it well worth the cost so we shall sign-up again when the new book comes out in the next few weeks.

There are some great stopovers for which of course there is no charge. We stayed at various farms & pubs where, although not a requirement, we make a point of having a meal or purchasing from the farm shops. The stops are all businesses and would not offer the service if all motorhomers just treated them as free.

As this thread has been revived I will reiterate my earlier post (above) placed this time last year and say that we have again used more Brit Stops during 2013.

We have also used some unlisted stopovers on occasions but particularly enjoy planning ahead using the Brit Stops book which is very well presented and gives us a good idea what to expect on arrival.

I don't expect to get too much for free in life and as we have to eat anyway am more than happy to make use the facilities on offer for meals or shopping in return for the hospitality on offer.

While the scheme may not suit everyone we shall certainly be ordering the 2014 edition as soon as it is available in the next few weeks.

Upvote 0

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
I'll be at the NEC later this month to get mine. :thumb:

Upvote 0
Jul 23, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
knaus van ti 600mg
Exp
Getting There since 2013
Our first Britstop book arrived today and I wasn't sure what to expect but to my delight the book great. Its well made of good quality glossy paper its a great handy size and I like how the contents, symbols and general information are all put together. We're very much looking forward to getting out there and visiting these stopovers ::bigsmile:

:thumb:

Upvote 0

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
BritStops is an excellent publication. I like the fact that it includes not only pubs (which are good ::bigsmile:) but so many other venues, some of which are worth a visit in their own right We have used it in the past and will be using the new one soon. Our FREE copy arrived a few days ago. Yes FREE following our recommendation of a new venue which is now included.

All power to you Steve.

Upvote 0

Smokaijo

LIFE MEMBER
May 15, 2023
Guildford, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 679
Exp
My partner & I are newbies and have a fully adapted motorhome for myself with my electric wheelchair
Just joined Britstops not knowing they no longer do the book but also at present do not have an app ????

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back