Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013
Anyone got expierence of Brit Stops? Is it worth the joining fee etc. Their web site does not give much info as a 'non subsriber'

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
How very North !!

Used it last year and found it good, hopefully the new book will have an increased number of places to stop, especially [HI][HI]north of the border[/HI][/HI]. :thumb:

Steve is a member on FUN so easily contactable for funsters.

I have recommended an establishment on the Isle of Lewis !! That far enough for you !!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Accepted, so I get a free copy next year !! Result in my book !:thumb:

Still finding others for Steve & Mandy despite only getting 1 copy...boo hoo !!:cry::cry:

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
The new Brit Stops 2014 book is ready to order Feb 1st :thumb: and has an extra 150 places to stay, we're not members but will be this year :thumb:

Rob&Jane

Upvote 0

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
[HI]Well I just ordered the 2013 book ready for our UK trip starting in June. [/HI]The way I look at it is if Steve puts the time into sorting the places out and producing the book, then it is not a lot of money for peace of mind.
If I/we can stay in a place and have a beer/wine and/or some food all for around 12/15 pounds a night and then stay in the car-park/field for free ( or even not buy anything if I wish) then the book is paid for in 1 or 2 trips.

John

Just looked on Steve's site and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you have ordered last year's book. The new one can be ordered from 1st February.

We have used it and it's been brilliant for us. Even when there was a misunderstanding with a phone call with a pub, I emailed Steve and he sorted it straight away.

We will be buying one for 2014. :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Just looked on Steve's site and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you have ordered last year's book. The new one can be ordered from 1st February.

We have used it and it's been brilliant for us. Even when there was a misunderstanding with a phone call with a pub, I emailed Steve and he sorted it straight away.

We will be buying one for 2014. :Smile:

thatll be because Dons post was from feb last year:roflmto:

Upvote 0

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
If the pub landlord, (or any other host,) , does not have caravan site planning permission OR an exemption certificate (issued by a Natural England authorised organisation), and allows camping ie overnight habitation in a motorhome or caravan.. he would be advised not to advertise the fact and keep it to himself.. ..

I don't know what BritStops have organised.. best wait until Steve clarifies before we jump to conclusions..

Steve appears to have missed your post and thread Jim.. Can this matter be cleared up?

Upvote 0

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Good value I.M.O.

I use the BritStop along with Keith's list of establishments ! :thumb:

Looking forward to receiving my free copy this year for recommending a pottery on The Isle of Lewis :thumb:

I am currently "grooming" another stop near by who is interested !:Cool::Cool::Cool:

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
While applauding the idea and joining last year and probably will this year we do find that it can be a lot more expensive than you think, while saying you would have to eat somewhere you would maybe make do with cheese on toast or somthing similer , you go into the pub and have a meal that's around a tenner each plus drinks, it can get to a lot of money and you do feel obliged, if the owner is friendly like most are, not at all like a cl where you can park for a fiver or aires or even France passion where it is mostly farms and vineyards that are not selling much.
Not knocking the idea and as I say we are members but it's not cheap even without the £25 to start with.

Upvote 0

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
While applauding the idea and joining last year and probably will this year we do find that it can be a lot more expensive than you think, while saying you would have to eat somewhere you would maybe make do with cheese on toast or somthing similer , you go into the pub and have a meal that's around a tenner each plus drinks, it can get to a lot of money and you do feel obliged, if the owner is friendly like most are, not at all like a cl where you can park for a fiver or aires or even France passion where it is mostly farms and vineyards that are not selling much.
Not knocking the idea and as I say we are members but it's not cheap even without the £25 to start with.

We have stayed on them and sometimes not purchased anything if we are already set up to eat what we brought with us.

You should not be pressured into buying that is the concept set up by Steve and I know he is very keen to know if you do.

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989

We have stayed on them and sometimes not purchased anything if we are already set up to eat what we brought with us.

You should not be pressured into buying that is the concept set up by Steve and I know he is very keen to know if you do.

But isn't that the whole point from the business's point of view. If it doesn't bring income in, why would they bother?

Upvote 0
May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
My nephew has a country pub near Northallerton and since he joined Britstops at my suggestion he has had a succession of lovely motorhomers, all of whom, except one, ate or drank in the pub or bought from his farm shop. One lot even had breakfast as well. Since he can allocate only one MH parking place per night, it is unfair for people to phone and book his spot and then not turn up, or turn up, have a look and decide they don't want to stay over. He has had to turn people away in favour of those barstewards. However in spite of those few, he has found the system good and is enthusiastic about it. :thumb: :thumb:

Catherine

Upvote 0

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We have used Britstops several times and will certainly be buying the 2014 book. Sure there are plenty of lists on the t'internet of places that will let you stay overnight but personally I am keen to support a scheme that is a bit more organised and kept up to date.

I was discussing Britstops with a pub landlady and we agreed that if the motorhomer doesn't buy anything then it has cost her nothing whereas if they do buy a meal or a drink then its income she would not otherwise have had.

Paul

Upvote 0

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
But isn't that the whole point from the business's point of view. If it doesn't bring income in, why would they bother?

But my point was not be Pressured into a purchase but as any retail business does offer a service. Get the people on the premises and the increase footfall will result in more business.

If they provide a service I need they could get my custom by allowing me to park on their premises, if they don't I'll go elsewhere so their loss.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
But my point was not be Pressured into a purchase but as any retail business does offer a service. Get the people on the premises and the increase footfall will result in more business.

If they provide a service I need they could get my custom by allowing me to park on their premises, if they don't I'll go elsewhere so their loss.

Sorry I didn't say pressured into a purchase, but obliged as I am on there park or whatever and think it's only right to pay something , if someone parked in my field I would expect a couple of quid or something, but what I said was it can be expensive buying meals that you could manage without, I think if you didn't have whatever they are selling they would be in their rights to charge a fiver or something for letting you stay and you wouldn't feel obliged to buy something you didn't need that could easily get towards £50 or more if you have kids.

Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Surely one factors in the "economics" wherever one chooses to overnight?
If you feel pressured or obligated then that location isn't for you...
Plenty of alternatives from wild to full service site.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Surely one factors in the "economics" wherever one chooses to overnight?
If you feel pressured or obligated then that location isn't for you...
Plenty of alternatives from wild to full service site.

I know that and I am happy to put up with it , as I said I am a member, just pointing out to anyone who thinks its free parking, it's not, if you use the facilities it can be dearer than many sites.:thumb:

Upvote 0

voyager 1

Free Member
Oct 25, 2012
Durham Tees valley
Funster No
MH
c class Swift voyager
Exp
30+yrs
Never used brit stops cant understand the need for a book advertising pub stopovers .I have been doing that for years you only have to ask the landlord or landowner for permission to stay , theres only 2 decisions, yes or no .why poeple feel the need to spend money on a guide book for that reason is beyond me but hey whatever floats your boat

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Never used brit stops cant understand the need for a book advertising pub stopovers .I have been doing that for years you only have to ask the landlord or landowner for permission to stay , theres only 2 decisions, yes or no .why poeple feel the need to spend money on a guide book for that reason is beyond me but hey whatever floats your boat

To be fair to Britstops most of the stops are not pubs

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

Sorry Jim don't agree , only been on one stop that wasn't a pub and that was a vineyard in kent and they were trying to sell bottles of wine for£12 a bottle when we had 100 bottles at a pound a bottle on board ,just returned from France.::bigsmile: needless to say this is the only stop that was free cause no way could we buy their produce.

Upvote 0

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
We joined last year and it has worked for us. We will certainly renew this year. Number of spots is growing all the time. We also like the the couple who run it!
Cheers
Bernie:thumb:

Upvote 0

buckby

Free Member
Sep 6, 2013
nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
we stopped at a pub near taunton last year on the way to cornwall ended up in the pub with the local farmers and skittle team me and the missus had a right good night.
Holiday to remember:ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

Sorry Jim don't agree , .

I didn't see a copy of the guide last year, but I did see the 2012 version and while I admit I didn't count them, I remember thinking how diverse some of the stops were and I certainly didn't get the feel that it was mostly a book of pub stops.

However if you have a current guide you are in a much better position than I to know what percentage of Britstops are pubs. Maybe you could let us know what that percentage over 50 is.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I didn't see a copy of the guide last year, but I did see the 2012 version and while I admit I didn't count them, I remember thinking how diverse some of the stops were and I certainly didn't get the feel that it was mostly a book of pub stops.

However if you have a current guide you are in a much better position than I to know what percentage of Britstops are pubs. Maybe you could let us know what that percentage over 50 is.

Must admit , don't know, books out in the van and I ain't going down the yard now, but in all honesty from memory I would guess about 80% although do agree there is a fair degree of diversity in the others.

Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Have nothing against Britstops, but have stopped on many pub carparks after having a few beers. I don't see any difference parking the motorhome in a corner of the carpark out of the way and sleeping in it than I would driving to the pub and having a few beers and getting a taxi home, leaving the car there till next day. I have never been refused yet from parking on a pub carpark. As long as you ask the landlord first I don't see the problem. Unless of course you start getting table and chairs out and hanging washing out there should be no difference than parking your car overnight. The problem seems to be that some who have paid for the Britstops book think it gives them the right to just camp, instead of park.

Upvote 0

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
This post has had a lot of views - shows the interest in the concept - just wish we had had the idea as although it isn't perfect not suiting everyone it is still a relatively new concept in the UK & looks like it could become huge especially with increasing popularity of motorhomes with families now more have 4 seat belts. We bought the 2013/2014 book offer after having read lots of positive reviews on the web & have to say the 2013 book is very professional, clear & easy to use. When we emailed Brit Stops with a query Steve replied quickly & was very helpful. We are looking forward to trying some Stops this year & receiving the new book with extra stops. Got to be worth a try!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Steve appears to have missed your post and thread Jim.. Can this matter be cleared up?

Indeed..

Steve, can you clarify whether or not you are issuing a Natural England exemption certificate or are you using another exempted organization ?

I can't find any info on this on your web site.. perhaps I have missed it.. ?

Information here about exemption certificates.

http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/ourwork/regulation/campingandcaravan/caravanexemption.aspx

And a list of Organisations exempted under the Caravan Sites and Control of
Development Act 1960 as of 1st January 2014.

Broken Link Removed

Upvote 0

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Having been thinking about it overnight, is there or are there any issues with insurance?

I something goes wrong would or could the insurance companies walk away from their liabilities, could the motorhome owners face a huge personal liability?

Just wondering..

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Where is Steve , how is it he hasn't commented on it , he's usually about:thumb:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back