Brit Stops (1 Viewer)

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Yes. There are so many entries now for the West Country that the numbering has been subdivided.
:doh:...doh - hadn't realised that
We have actually been there, just not with the van:blush:
Cheers

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I just cant get my point over, without seeming a grump, if we were on a cl or something , we wouldn't think of going out for a meal , it would be beans or cheese on toast or something equivalent
No honestly, I get where you are coming from, and I couldn't possibly comment about the grump part :D
But if one were going to spend £50 on a meal out anyway (actually it was nearer £80 last weekend but the missus went mad on desserts!), then it is an added bonus to have a free stay.
For us, the CL's are an option that we have also used, but only out of necessity, we have to pay to stay, then do our own cooking, and cleaning etc. they really aren't our cup of tea.
If everybody wanted the same thing, life would be boring, kind of reminds me of that Groove Armada song actually :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
No honestly, I get where you are coming from, and I couldn't possibly comment about the grump part :D
But if one were going to spend £50 on a meal out anyway (actually it was nearer £80 last weekend but the missus went mad on desserts!), then it is an added bonus to have a free stay.
For us, the CL's are an option that we have also used, but only out of necessity, we have to pay to stay, then do our own cooking, and cleaning etc. they really aren't our cup of tea.
If everybody wanted the same thing, life would be boring, kind of reminds me of that Groove Armada song actually :D
I have not got the slightest thing against Britstops, just saying how it is for us, we use them for gods sake!, but if we were out in France we would have a small meal out at dinner time and find an free aire at night and have the said , something on toast, and a pound bottle of wine, we just don't do large evening meals as a rule but when on Britstops feel obliged to dine out, you can say it's not obligatory but that is not how we work.
All I wanted to get over to anyone who thinks it's free like Aires in France, is it's not, that's it , not going on about it any more.
Enjoy your Britstops as we will(y):(

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
007 features regularly on our frequent jaunts to Devon and Cornwall
is this under a different number in the 2016 book please?
Yes. There are so many entries now for the West Country that the numbering has been subdivided.
It's only Cornwall (prefix C) and Devon (prefix D) that have been numbered separately to the rest of the South-West. 007 is its 2016 number, and without a prefix because it's in Somerset :)
I know, you all think it's in the West Country, but it's a good 2 hours eastwards from us ;)

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I have not got the slightest thing against Britstops, just saying how it is for us, we use them for gods sake!, but if we were out in France we would have a small meal out at dinner time and find an free aire at night and have the said , something on toast, and a pound bottle of wine, we just don't do large evening meals as a rule but when on Britstops feel obliged to dine out, you can say it's not obligatory but that is not how we work.
All I wanted to get over to anyone who thinks it's free like Aires in France, is it's not, that's it , not going on about it any more.

Not all aires in France are free,,,BUSBY.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No

Not all aires in France are free,,,BUSBY.
Did you not hear (read) he said he's not going on about it any more. :)
I think ultimately Chaser is in agreement with us, that Britstops is a good idea, but for different reasons to others, which is why it is a good scheme! :D

shane the nomad

Free Member
May 22, 2015
Anywhere the handbrake go's on
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Two years ...so newbie....ish !!!
I have been buying the Britstops book for the last three years.I always ring in advance to see if a spot is available.I have yet to have a host ask for a table to be booked.I have stayed at farms out in the middle of Nowhere ! Riverside locations and Fab Ice cream stop over in Gods own county.Steve always has a smile on his face when i meet him at the shows. Great Book,Great Hosts,Great Idea

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
I have been buying the Britstops book for the last three years.I always ring in advance to see if a spot is available.I have yet to have a host ask for a table to be booked.I have stayed at farms out in the middle of Nowhere ! Riverside locations and Fab Ice cream stop over in Gods own county.Steve always has a smile on his face when i meet him at the shows. Great Book,Great Hosts,Great Idea

I think it's important to note that that Shane the nomad is a Very Nice Man, and I won't have a word said against him.

Steve :)
PS, Just amended my will, as agreed, Shane. ;)

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I'm quite happy with the book (or I will be when this years arrives @BritStops :D(y))

Mobile internet coverage in the UK isn't anything like comprehensive or reliable enough to have to rely on an app.

Also I don't think people appreciate just how much creating a secure multi platform app would cost.

If the app downloaded the list to the phone you wont need the internet to view, you would only need it to update when they change which is monthly and then only if you wanted too. The book is still good but in my opionion an app would compliment it and for me make it a lot easier to view whats around. It is still a good thing regardless.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
If the app downloaded the list to the phone you wont need the internet to view, you would only need it to update when they change which is monthly and then only if you wanted too. The book is still good but in my opionion an app would compliment it and for me make it a lot easier to view whats around. It is still a good thing regardless.

I agree that an app would complement the book. However for it to have the same appeal as the book it would need to be multi platform - IOS, Android and Windows. It would also need to be secure so that nobody who hadn't paid for it could access it and you would like the content to be available offline.

Ballpark development budget assuming Steve and Mandy don't have the time or skills to do it themselves? Well into 5 figures.

Then add ongoing monthly maintenance and update costs.

They would have to be charging nearly the same again for the app as they do for the book. That's what people don't seem to understand.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I agree that an app would complement the book. However for it to have the same appeal as the book it would need to be multi platform - IOS, Android and Windows. It would also need to be secure so that nobody who hadn't paid for it could access it and you would like the content to be available offline.

Ballpark development budget assuming Steve and Mandy don't have the time or skills to do it themselves? Well into 5 figures.

Then add ongoing monthly maintenance and update costs.

They would have to be charging nearly the same again for the app as they do for the book. That's what people don't seem to understand.

I fully understand how this works probably better than most as I have worked in I.T for over 20 years and i appreciate that there is cost involved with any develoment work, however we are in the 21st century where carrying your mobile or your tablet is the norm as opposed to a book. I am still in agreement that a book is better than not but an app would be better if it was financially viable. There is always a way to copy anything even a book and given that most phones acts as scanners a book can be turned into a pdf very easily. It does need to be secure and there are many ways to acheive this but again it is the financial aspect that is always the deciding factor. I am not knocking the book as i think it is great just for me i would like an app to go with it.

Forgot to add with an app and a potential market of a few million users i am pretty sure the cost would not need to be the same as the book. The more people you have buying the cheaper it can be. Most of the successful apps are a few pound but the scope is a lot bigger as everyone either has android/ios or windows phones / tablets.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
a potential market of a few million users

Where are you coming up with a few million users?

It will basically be a list of places in the UK and Ireland who let you park your motorhome in their car park overnight.

Can't really see demand being that high.

Reactions: GJH

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Where are you coming up with a few million users?

It will basically be a list of places in the UK and Ireland who let you park your motorhome in their car park overnight.

Can't really see demand being that high.

I am of course referring to the user base on android and ios within the UK, i appreciate not all will have motorhomes though but it is a much larger user base.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I am of course referring to the user base on android and ios within the UK, i appreciate not all will have motorhomes though but it is a much larger user base.

I'm well aware of that. I fail to see how the majority of them that don't have motorhomes are going to be persuaded to buy an app specifically for motorhomes though.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
The user base will much higher thats all i am saying, if there are over 200k motorhomes in the uk (read that in another post on here earlier) then that is a large amount of users that will almost certainly have a phone/tablet. It is not for everyone i appreciate that it's a personal choice and for the moment that choice is not available.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
You can stay on a CL for between £5 and £10 and that will include toilet drop and fresh water. You won't be sat in a car park out the back. You can legitimately stay for 24 hours and the chances are you will have a nice quiet and peaceful time.

Pubs generally can not compete with that.

The majority of Britstop pubs we have stayed at were certainly not places we would choose to dine in. They were often filled with 'locals' who were just there for the beer.

Pubs are a dying industry these days, poor food, poor service, poor value....... and expensive beer.

We used Britstops last year to try it out and judge for ourselves. The verdict is that it's not for us. We would much rather stay on a CL every time.

I would just add that we did stay on a few 'farm' type Britstops and they were quite pleasant. We even stayed on a few that I would highly recommend, but they are far and few between.

This is all irrelevant for us because we are selling the van anyway :(

Goodbye,you sound a like a right pair of party poopers and tight.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Goodbye,you sound a like a right pair of party poopers and tight.
They're not and have done a lot more travelling in their MH than most of us and found time to keep us entertained as well. :)

The point about waste and loo dump is well made, our MH doesn't have much "stamina" in that department so we like to empty every day. :)

Diesel

Free Member
Oct 7, 2015
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
im a newbie
We like Britstop's a lot, as touched upon earlier in the thread nice to have security and nice to know that you are welcome. Its easy too flick through a book consult the unofficial facebook group and find a review - happy days.

Earlier this year I was summons to work from the office (rather than home working) for a week used Britstops for three of four nights - Britstops worked well. We live in suburbs of a city for us to get to a decent pub its £15 min in taxi fares, we love the idea of country pubs or even britstop pubs that put us closer to where we want to be.

We do spend on every occasion, I like a pint and I like food - really need to try some of the farm stops this year.

We have chosen to ditch camping and caravan club subs. this year in favour of britstops.

As campers (tents) prior to motorhome ownership Britstops was a good way for us to build confidence and move away from campsites.

Met Steve at the NEC and he seemed genuinely interested to know how people use the book and their experiences which was nice.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
How unnecessarily rude :mad:
I agree, it was unnecessarily rude! I had a conversation earlier in the thread with @chaser to emphasise that everyone is different, and enjoys their travels in different ways. Ultimately he prefers CL's and uses Britstops as a standby, whereas we use Britstops and use CL's as a standby. I think it was amicable enough with reasoned points of view put across by both myself and chaser.
I'm sure rule 1 says that we have to keep it nice!

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We have thought long and hard about Britstops and although I think its a great idea like Chockswahay we prefer CL's and on the occasions we have stayed in pub car parks to date we have never been refused.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
We have thought long and hard about Britstops and although I think its a great idea like Chockswahay we prefer CL's and on the occasions we have stayed in pub car parks to date we have never been refused.
To be honest, I sincerely doubt any reasonable landlord would refuse. What we like is the ability to plan ahead. My wife will find somewhere that sounds nice in the book, I will then go on t'internet and have a look at the website, and view the site on street view. If we still like it, we head off :D

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
To be honest, I sincerely doubt any reasonable landlord would refuse. What we like is the ability to plan ahead. My wife will find somewhere that sounds nice in the book, I will then go on t'internet and have a look at the website, and view the site on street view. If we still like it, we head off :D
We do similar have a look for a CL if none then google local pubs and give them a call, one pub we did this with even coned off a space in the car park for us.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Littlewheel's post was reported yesterday, I clicked on the link in the report and responded with an admonishment, then, when I read the responses after, I found that I needn't have done so, a bunch of you had already pointed out how rude the post was... Thanks. I've deleted mine.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back