Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Was the use of 'Dug' deliberate? Only ask because that's what we call our dog when she's being dopey :D (from the film Up!)
The other half is Scottish and it's their term .. we use the dugsnpubs website too.. and he's @archiethedug on twitter
We avoid anywhere not dog friendly and have found some nice places.. one of the best was in Herts where they knew we were coming and wanted a meal . They bought out a decorated plate with his name and snacks on and handed over the dog menu.. very good.

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
Pubs are a dying industry these days, poor food, poor service, poor value....... and expensive beer.
Blimey, that's a bit of a sweeping statement.

When we use CL's we try and use one within walking distance of a pub. We both like the odd drink and prefer to eat out if we are only away for a night or two. Britstops avoids the walk. Proper sites always win if you want to stay longer or have a leisurely BBQ.

Like most things, variety is the spice of life.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
Hi everyone!

Just back from the NEC and sorting the motorhome out, and making a small dent in the emails back home, so will just leave some bullet points for now:
  • Brit Stops is £27.50, so £3 more than France Passion (ok, there is P&P to pay if you buy it online, I know). The other difference between France and Britain is that there is not a massive network of aires here, so we think BS is worth the money (of course we would, wouldn't we!).
  • Comparisons with ACSI are a bit like comparing apples and oranges. We're different things. If you're doing that, you'd need to also throw the two big clubs and the MCC in the mix. We fall towards the bottom end on initial cost, but I think we compare well with what you pay when on site. Granted ACSI is a lot cheaper, but you still have to pay at least €11 on each site, and you can only do that in off peak periods. I could be wrong (I am frequently), but I don't think there are that many ACSI sites in the UK? btw, we've used ACSI ourselves. We're not agin it! Oh, and as a thought, camping in a tent is cheaper too, and so is staying at home! :LOL:
  • Just to clarify, all Brit Stops that are not "aires" (there are a few in Britain and Ireland) are totally free to stay. There is no obligation to buy anything. If you're the sort of person who feels obliged to spend money there I can't do much about that, sorry! And of course the pub/farm shop/whatever would be pleased. It's precisely because most folks spend a bit on their Brit Stop that the scheme has grown quickly over the six years we've been doing it. It's the same for France Passion.
  • And if you do splash out on a slap-up meal and wine, or cram your fridge to bursting point with fresh farm produce, that has all been subsidised by the fact you haven't paid anything for a camp site that night.
  • If you're a hardened wild camper, you won't save a penny by using Brit Stops. We get that. Obviously Brit Stops is not then for you, unless you fancy a change from time to time. We've done a little bit of wilding ourselves, and enjoyed it.
  • If you just love camp sites and always want the guarantee of having all the facilities to hand (EHU, elsan point, etc.) then Brit Stops is not for you (unless you fancy a change, etc.). That's fine. We use camp sites too.
  • And yes, you can just rock up at a pub and ask to stay the night. We've really not got a problem with that. Go for it! However some folk prefer not to do that. Maybe they're a bit nervous about being turned away, or simply prefer the fact that they know what they'll be getting with Brit Stops. You've also got to find the pub in a nice location first.
  • You should never be pressured to buy anything or book a table at a Brit Stop. We've taken pubs (2 from memory) out before because they were insisting a table was booked. We insist the stopover should be obligation-free as then you are not committed to having a meal before you see the menu and prices. Some of our pubs are very popular venues though, and if you are asked if you'd like to book a table, it might well be because if you don't book, you won't be able to eat that night. Just have the conversation!
  • Some of our pubs can be found elsewhere on the internet. Not all, and I think not many. Very few, if any, of our "non-pubs" are generally available to find online. We have personally been in touch either by email or phone or both, with all our hosts, and persuaded them to join. We also contact them at least twice a year, including a phone call, to check all is going ok, and to see if they need any changes made to their entry (Mandy made over 470 phone calls last year).
  • Brit Stops is not a crusade! If it's not for you, that's perfectly ok. We don't mind. Honest! Other ways of travelling in your motorhome are great too!
And finally, as it states clearly on our website, if you're not happy with the book, just return the book and sticker to us and we'll refund your payment. Our address is on the envelope (please add a note with your reason so we don't think Royal Mail have just not delivered it!).

Cheers everyone! Any other questions just ask!

Steve :)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I have to say that Steve @BritStops has put forward a balanced and reasonable case (y)

The only part that I have issue with is that most decent people do still feel 'morally' bound to contribute in some way (or perhaps it's just me:eek:). If you can avail yourself of a free night stop with no intention of making an effort to recognise the owners efforts then you only have your own conscience to deal with I s'pose:rolleyes:

Britstops is NOT for everyone (and that includes me) but I most certainly do agree that it is a useful and valuable resource for those that do use it (y)

Well done Steve (y)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I have to say that Steve @BritStops has put forward a balanced and reasonable case (y)

The only part that I have issue with is that most decent people do still feel 'morally' bound to contribute in some way (or perhaps it's just me:eek:). If you can avail yourself of a free night stop with no intention of making an effort to recognise the owners efforts then you only have your own conscience to deal with I s'pose:rolleyes:

Britstops is NOT for everyone (and that includes me) but I most certainly do agree that it is a useful and valuable resource for those that do use it (y)

Well done Steve (y)
Here here, but if I owned a pub and someone just came and parked up without buying anything , I wouldn't be best pleased, as some of the ones we have been on we're half full with two vans on, as I have said before , good idea and we do use them, but no way are they free or even cheap if you do the right thing and use the pub.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
as I have said before , good idea and we do use them, but no way are they free or even cheap if you do the right thing and use the pub.
That is one way of looking at it, however, if you look at it from the way we use them then they are indeed free.
My wife and I both work full time, and I am away from home a lot with business. We have a simple rule, the weekend is family time, and on Saturday we go out for a meal. Before our motorhome days, this restricted us to our local town, and places we could reach by public transport.
Now we can explore far and wide, eating at places that would have been out of reach without the Britstop guide.
We would have bought a meal anyway, so we are getting the added bonus of free accommodation for the night.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Here here, but if I owned a pub and someone just came and parked up without buying anything , I wouldn't be best pleased.
If you owned a pub and someone just rocked up and asked to stay and didn’t buy anything then justifiably you would not be best pleased, but the site owner’s sign up to knowing no one has to buy from them, but a bonus if they do.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I think Steve's response is on the button and as he says, it's not a crusade and it's not for everyone - personally, still the first book I reach for when we set off to go somewhere and want to break our journey.

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
If you owned a pub and someone just rocked up and asked to stay and didn’t buy anything then justifiably you would not be best pleased, but the site owner’s sign up to knowing no one has to buy from them, but a bonus if they do.
I think pubs take a more general view i.e. if 100 Britstoppers stay a year and the majority buy beer, a lot buy meals and some just parkup it's still a winner for the pub.

I think Steve summed things up very well. It's just another resource we can all use when it fits but definitely not to the exclusion of all the other resources clubs etc.

The weather is looking not bad for the weekend down here in the South East so I better start looking where we're going to eat on Saturday night :)

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
While of course I understand that Britstops are not for everyone , I don't see what's not to like for an overnight stop. As to costs, well I do feel bound to have a drink and a snack or a meal even though I know I am not obliged to. For me, I would far rather pay the Britstop for drinks and a meal than pay a CL or campsite. I don't wash have to cook or wash up and it pleasant to have an hour or two relaxing somewhere other than at the motorhome.

We first used Britstops last summer, two vineyards, a farm shop and four pubs, we were well received at each with no presure to purchase but we did purchase and enjoyed some very nice wine and produce we would not have otherwise had the opportunity to buy and we have some good meals and drinks.

I really cannot see why anyone wouldn't use a Britstop. Granted they are not all picturesque ideal locations but all one has to do is look at the book and Google Earth the location to get a feel for a place, and has been said many times of aires, if you don't fancy it move on.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We are relatively new to Britstops, but we think they are good value and we have renewed again this year. As for spending £50 you will struggle to do that in most Britstop pubs! Meals are usually £10 - £12 each at most. We have never spent more than £30 at most, and on several occasions a lot less. One we went in to when we had already ate - told them that we would come in for a drink, but not anything to eat and they had no problem with that. Trouble was when we saw other people's food coming out it looked so good we could not resist a nibble. I had a starter and wife had a pud.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We stopped at one pub recently and it was out only bad experience out of many good ones. The pub felt a bit sleazy and as a result we didn't spend anything and had a nice meal in the van

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We are relatively new to Britstops, but we think they are good value and we have renewed again this year. As for spending £50 you will struggle to do that in most Britstop pubs! Meals are usually £10 - £12 each at most. We have never spent more than £30 at most, and on several occasions a lot less. One we went in to when we had already ate - told them that we would come in for a drink, but not anything to eat and they had no problem with that. Trouble was when we saw other people's food coming out it looked so good we could not resist a nibble. I had a starter and wife had a pud.
Two steak meals £15-£18 each say 16 , that's £32 , equivalent of 3 pints each at say a cheap price £3 a pint that's £18 + £32 is £50 in my book that's without starters or puds, and if you have kids , I dread to think.
I always come out as knocking Britstops , I am not and as I say we use them off and on , but there is no way you can say it's free or cheap, that's without your £30 up front.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Can't see how anybody can complain about Britstops being expensive when they are eating steaks. If you want a steak and 3 pints each then it is going to cost you £50 anyway and anywhere. The night's stay then costs you nothing, i.e. is free. But you don't have to eat so expensively; you choose to. We choose to ensure that it is cheap or sometimes even free.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Can't see how anybody can complain about Britstops being expensive when they are eating steaks. If you want a steak and 3 pints each then it is going to cost you £50 anyway and anywhere. The night's stay then costs you nothing, i.e. is free. But you don't have to eat so expensively; you choose to. We choose to ensure that it is cheap or sometimes even free.
I just cant get my point over, without seeming a grump, if we were on a cl or something , we wouldn't think of going out for a meal , it would be beans or cheese on toast or something equivalent, but if we go on a Britstops it just isn't in our makeup to not have a meal there, and as you said , when you see what's on offer we have to have what we really like, so it becomes expensive, if the temptation isn't there you don't spend.
Other than special occasions we wouldn't dream of going out and spending that much.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I just cant get my point over, without seeming a grump, if we were on a cl or something , we wouldn't think of going out for a meal , it would be beans or cheese on toast or something equivalent, but if we go on a Britstops it just isn't in our makeup to not have a meal there, and as you said , when you see what's on offer we have to have what we really like, so it becomes expensive, if the temptation isn't there you don't spend.
Other than special occasions we wouldn't dream of going out and spending that much.
So it is only expensive if you lack self-control? :D:D

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp

I do take your point,especially if its a family, but take the cost of your CL which could well be £15 per night away from the cost of a drink and a reasonable meal at say £30 for two and things don't look too bad. Well, not to me anyway I would want something better that beans or cheese on toast for my evening meal.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Two steak meals £15-£18 each say 16 , that's £32 , equivalent of 3 pints each at say a cheap price £3 a pint that's £18 + £32 is £50 in my book that's without starters or puds, and if you have kids , I dread to think.
I always come out as knocking Britstops , I am not and as I say we use them off and on , but there is no way you can say it's free or cheap, that's without your £30 up front.

We'd probably spend at least that as well.

We would also still spend it if we'd also spent £15 - £30 on a CL or a site so being able to stay in the pub car park represents a massive saving.

There is no obligation though. If you just choose to go and have a couple of pints and eat in the van, or even not buy anything and eat in the van, you're free to do so.

Zoppydog

Deceased RIP
Jul 19, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
Since 2013
We have often used Britstops as a stop over on long journeys. If we are travelling it's great not to have to cook and most places we have stayed have a very varied menu so you can find something in your price range!
The added value is you can have a drink and not worry about driving home!
Having looked through this years book I'm sure we will be making more use of them. We may have a meal in the van, not cheese on toast- that's lunch in our house, then go in the pub for a drink and chat.
Everyone is different, thankfully, so enjoy wherever it is you stay
Chris

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Finding somewhere to eat, within a short walking distance of a CL can be a problem. Whereas with a Britstop Pub not only do you benefit from a free overnight stop but an enjoyable meal too.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
we used it only twice last year but both times were with no issues, i do think that in this day and age that there should also be an app version as having to go through the book each time an update is sent out is a pain. I know why this is like this but there are some very strong encryptions that could be used to bypass the obvious copying aspect. It still gets my vote regardless though.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I'm happy with a paperback version, as I often don't get internet coverage, so apps and websites wouldn't work. IMO, I would like to see the book in A5 size with a ring binder - much the same as an atlas, instead of the current version as I find it a bit awkward to open without bending the spine right back to read all the page and then it keeps closing when you are trying to gather info or dial the phone numbers.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I'm quite happy with the book (or I will be when this years arrives @BritStops :D(y))

Mobile internet coverage in the UK isn't anything like comprehensive or reliable enough to have to rely on an app.

Also I don't think people appreciate just how much creating a secure multi platform app would cost.

Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
:happy: We use Britstops to break up a long journey or just so we can wander around in one area without having to book a site. 007 features regularly on our frequent jaunts to Devon and Cornwall. We always get a warm welcome, free electricity, water and waste disposal. There's a good pub nearby and we always have a good nosey around their new vans. It's worth every penny to join Britstops just for this one alone as long as we don't buy a new van!::bigsmile: Did buy replacement kettle on our last visit (they give you a discount on goods over £40). We've never been to any Britstops and felt pressure to spend money. We tend to stay in pubs when we feel like treating ourselves to a nice meal and we've often bought produce in farm shops, vineyards because we needed/wanted it. So overall we think we get value for money with Britstops and it also adds another option to make our motorhome wanderings more flexible. :smiley:

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
We bought the book the 1st year of publication and only used 2 of the stops - both pubs and in both when we went in to check we were OK where we were parked and have a drink we were asked "what time do you want to book a table for this evening?"

We certainly felt it was an obligation to have a meal.

Never bothered with it again. If we want somewhere to stop for a night we'll use a CS, all of which are cheaper than 2 meals and drinks in a pub.

Denise

Read the rules in the book. You are under no obligation whatsoever to buy, eat or drink anything.

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
It is a useful resource but the £30 price tag is silly, given this is twice the price of an ACSI card and books which can get you a discount at numerous sites. I know the theory is a few stops will pay for the book but I think their price will put people off. We won't be buying another copy.

But their price isn't putting people off because they sell hundreds of them. You save £30 in one or two nights at a campsite.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
living where we do, and having my father in Yorkshire, we've used quite a few BritStops up and down the M5 corridor. One Stop is where we bought our van, and we've stayed overnight on our way up-country. We've also used a pub nearby three times now on the way home, and this time on the way out we did 2 nights at a craft centre because we like the place and wanted a good walk in the area. Going home after New Year we stayed at a farm shop where we stocked up on fresh fruit, veg, meat, and dairy, which saved us having to do it elsewhere.
These are the highlights, but we mostly use BritStops to break a long journey, or if we find ourselves towards the end of the day without a plan, or if we want to treat ourselves to an evening out without having to decide on who won't have a drink (neither of us will drive after any alcohol at all).
We've never been asked to buy anything and in fact we've been welcomed at places that were closed - either for the evening when we wanted to stay or, in one case, due to an electrical fire they'd had.
The only purchase I feel 'obliged' to make is some thank-you cards that I carry in the van.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Oh the irony, the wife and I were putting the britstop wish list together last night, 3 that sounded good were instantly discounted when we visited their website, they did not have a restaurant, therefore we will not be staying there!
It's horses for courses, we want places to stay where we can have a meal and a few drinks. Others don't!

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
:happy: We use Britstops to break up a long journey or just so we can wander around in one area without having to book a site. 007 features regularly on our frequent jaunts to Devon and Cornwall. We always get a warm welcome, free electricity, water and waste disposal. There's a good pub nearby and we always have a good nosey around their new vans. It's worth every penny to join Britstops just for this one alone as long as we don't buy a new van!::bigsmile: Did buy replacement kettle on our last visit (they give you a discount on goods over £40). We've never been to any Britstops and felt pressure to spend money. We tend to stay in pubs when we feel like treating ourselves to a nice meal and we've often bought produce in farm shops, vineyards because we needed/wanted it. So overall we think we get value for money with Britstops and it also adds another option to make our motorhome wanderings more flexible. :smiley:
is this under a different number in the 2016 book please?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back