s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
Well - we'd like a bit of a 'clue' - so eg Warwickshire, 26 sites; Lanarkshire, 0 - or at least something.

We aim to please, so:

England:
Beds 2
Berks 8
Bristol 4
Bucks 5
Cambs 4
Cheshire 15
Cornwall 16
Co Durham 3
Cumbria 8
Derbys 9
Devon 21
Dorset 10
Essex 15
Glos 9
Hants 18
Herefordshire 3
Herts 3
Kent 11
Lancs 10
Leics 7
Lincs 18
Merseyside 2
Norfolk 12
Northants 6
Northumberland 6
Notts 6
Oxon 12
Rutland 1
Salop 11
Somerset 24
Staffs 9
Suffolk 14
Surrey 2
Sussex (E) 8
Sussex (W) 9
Tyne & Wear 3
Warks 13
W Mids 4
Wilts 12
Worcs 7
Yorks:
East 2
North 24
South 5
West 10

Wales:
Anglesey 4
Carmarthenshire 8
Ceredigion 4
Conwy 3
Denbighshire 3
Flintshire 3
Gwynedd 2
Monmouthshire 4
Pembrokeshire 3
Powys 7
Swansea 2
Vale of Glamorgan 3

Scotland:
Aberdeenshire 7
Angus 4
Argyll and Bute 1
Central Lowlands 1
Fife 2
Highland 14
Moray 1
Na h-Eilanan Siar 3
Perth & Kinross 2
Ross-shire 2
Scottish Borders 2
Sth Ayrshire 1
Sth Lanarks 2
Stirling 2
Sutherland 1

Northern Ireland 11

Ireland:
Ulster 3
Leinster 5
Munster 9
Connacht 6

Steve :)
PS this doesn't take account of the few that have closed since publication back in Feb, or the 40 new ones we recently added.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
@trophychap.. Re your comments about planning where to go. From our point of view... We don't see britstops as a final destination.. We tend to plan to go somewhere and if we fancy an overnight stop on the way we will consider Britstops first..
Everyone's different of course but that's our angle and we haven't been disappointed yet. Esp with our dog.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
@trophychap.. Re your comments about planning where to go. From our point of view... We don't see britstops as a final destination.. We tend to plan to go somewhere and if we fancy an overnight stop on the way we will consider Britstops first..
Everyone's different of course but that's our angle and we haven't been disappointed yet. Esp with our dog.

Exactly the same for us. They make great stopovers on the way to wherever we are going.

The only way they would be a destination for us is if we were only away for one night.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Love BritStops - this is our second year of membership.

Last weekend we went away on a whim and used two BritStops - one we'd used before and another which we will use again when going north. It's already paid for itself. One of the stops we used last weekend there were three vans (including us). One van was German and they were full of praise having used far more of the stops that we have.

Only been disappointed once and that was probably due to lack of understanding / communication.

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
We currently in the south of France, near to the pont du gard. Staying in a French passion, no charge, but have just bought 80 litres of their wine at less than a 2 euro a litre , they win we win !!!

yellabellyex

Free Member
Feb 19, 2015
Lincoln area
Funster No
MH
Bespoke PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Maybe on their website they should have a map of the UK with dots on to indicate "Stops"? draw it at a scale/resolution that makes it impossible for the liggers to use, but gives an impression of density around the UK, job done. What's the problem?
We bought it a couple of years ago and it didn't work out for us,
regards
alan b

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
We were at a Britstop last night, a return visit as it's a really pleasant place and very convenient for our dealers (which is also a Britstop but sometimes we like a nice meal out rather than parking up on a motorhome dealer's forecourt...)
We've spent about 10 Britstop nights so far this year, didn't always buy anything, but I'll admit we tend to 'reward' ourselves with a Britstop meal after a few frugal days...
It works for us!

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
We stayed at a britstop on the way home from france at the weekend. We've stayed at a few now and all really good. There are some gaps around the country but if you know of somewhere good you can always recommend them to Steve and Mandy for listing. It's a no brainer for landlords, farm shops, etc. we enjoy staying over and having a nice meal cooked for us for a change. Just another string to the bow for motorhoming.

Don't miss out ... Buy the book, you'll be glad you did.

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
It works particularly well if making a long journey and you want to break overnight. Now of course you could pull in and wild, but you might not fancy cooking so you end up paying someone else at a take away or at a restuarant. Instead with Brit stops you park somewhere safe and buy your meal at the pub, very short walk home.
Unless you never cook or drink in your van you wouldn't want to Brit stop everyday but is very useful, and has some nice locations.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
@BritStops How do you suggest somewhere? Does the member talk to the business owner first to see if they are interested or would you approach them Steve?

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
@BritStops How do you suggest somewhere? Does the member talk to the business owner first to see if they are interested or would you approach them Steve?

Either way is fine. Sometimes it does help if a Britstopper has had a chat with the owner, but I'm happy if given the info, to follow up. They can actually sign up themselves very easily on our website. It costs nothing, and we send them their entry for approval before going live.

Currently our members' incentive scheme is focussed on getting more "non-pubs", in order to maintain the variety of stopovers. This means a free copy of the 2016 edition is up for grabs if you can find us a non-pub anywhere in the British Isles, or any kind of stopover (including pubs) in Scotland and Ireland, where we'd like more stopovers full stop. Just to reiterate, the incentive scheme is only open to current Brit Stops members, though. More details on page 610 of the 2015 book.

Reactions: CWH

BONZO

Free Member
Mar 1, 2012
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Kon tiki 30ft
Exp
Please can some one tell me were I can order the grits top book from . John .

OP
OP
iandsm
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Either way is fine. Sometimes it does help if a Britstopper has had a chat with the owner, but I'm happy if given the info, to follow up. They can actually sign up themselves very easily on our website. It costs nothing, and we send them their entry for approval before going live.

Currently our members' incentive scheme is focussed on getting more "non-pubs", in order to maintain the variety of stopovers. This means a free copy of the 2016 edition is up for grabs if you can find us a non-pub anywhere in the British Isles, or any kind of stopover (including pubs) in Scotland and Ireland, where we'd like more stopovers full stop. Just to reiterate, the incentive scheme is only open to current Brit Stops members, though. More details on page 610 of the 2015 book.

Have you thought about garden centres, I expect so but there are many around the country and they usually have large car parks

michpiggy

Free Member
Aug 8, 2015
West lancashire
Funster No
MH
Elddis advante 285
Exp
2 and 1/2 years of owning a motorhome.... 12 years owning a touring caravan
Can I just ask what is brits stops?

Sorry if it seems like a silly question, is it safe parking areas?

Michelle

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It will be great if there were more non pub locations, pub ones don't really need to be in the book as almost any pub will let you stay the night if you have a meal.
I'm not in favor of pub stops as I know I will spend far more than intended.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Can I just ask what is brits stops?
Sorry if it seems like a silly question, is it safe parking areas?
Michelle
Not a silly question at all Michelle!
A brilliant scheme, businesses that have suitable parking areas invite MH'ers to overnight (one night) for free. You may buy something at the business but there's no obligation. Some have MH facilities as well (eg fresh water tap, waste water dump, occasionally even EHU). You pay to join the scheme & get the book which lists all the participating members (who don't pay) and you get monthly updates of new stops, those who're no longer participating, and any other relevant changes. The book also tells you what's available at each BritStop and gives directions.
In order to keep the scheme running, individual stops are only ever referred to by number online.
Excellent for stopovers when travelling any distance, but can be used more extensively.
http://www.britstops.com/
There's a Group on here where Funsters review their experiences
Broken Link Removed

Last edited:
OP
OP
iandsm
Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
It will be great if there were more non pub locations, pub ones don't really need to be in the book as almost any pub will let you stay the night if you have a meal.
I'm not in favor of pub stops as I know I will spend far more than intended.

Without pubs it would be a pretty thin book. Of course I would like to see more non pub stops but I prefer they are included since I would rather rely on a concrete entry as opposed to an assumption that almost any pub would let you stay of you have a meal which may well prove incorrect. It certainly would in many pubs I know in my part of the country.

Having a meal is not compulsory at a Britstop and a pint don't cost much

michpiggy

Free Member
Aug 8, 2015
West lancashire
Funster No
MH
Elddis advante 285
Exp
2 and 1/2 years of owning a motorhome.... 12 years owning a touring caravan
Just ordered the book

Thanks for the info

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
But does it encourage more places to let motorhomes stay overnight or not. We bought a book this year but haven't tried one yet but have had 2 nights at the fleur de lys at lowsonford for nothing (had a meal both nights) and it was great got it from the pub stops site. Im a bit worried the pubs who offer free place s to stay might be "nobbled" by britstops so I have to buy another book to stay there next time!!!

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
But does it encourage more places to let motorhomes stay overnight or not. We bought a book this year but haven't tried one yet but have had 2 nights at the fleur de lys at lowsonford for nothing (had a meal both nights) and it was great got it from the pub stops site. Im a bit worried the pubs who offer free place s to stay might be "nobbled" by britstops so I have to buy another book to stay there next time!!!
I don't think this is an issue, BritStops doesn't stop the hosts from having anyone else to stay, in effect it's a service to us MHers to bring together a register of stops with associated information. For us, it's been well worth the cost of joining because it makes it easier for us to find a stop if we find ourselves on the road where we might not have planned! or if we want to turn up somewhere late at night. And of course as well as last-minute stops, they can be part of a planned tour.
We also use them if we want to give ourselves a bit of a treat ;)

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Sounds an interesting idea rather like France Passion but has anyone actually used it by buying the book and staying at places recommend.

I am reluctant to pay the fee when I have no idea whether there are any stopping places in area I want to visit. There are 500 or so places but it would be nice to know where some are before committing myself.
Can't rave about them highly enough :)

Buy the book, use it just once and it's paid for. After that, every other visit is a bonus :cheers::clap2:

Read one of my threads for the idea http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/britstop-update-day-8.90442/#post-1077360

OP
OP
iandsm
Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun