Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
The books are out, and I hope the scheme will be well supported. As a host we look forward to meeting new friends. Brit Stops provides safe stopovers throughout UK. Discount still available at www.britstops.com

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I hope this scheme takes off, places to park are becoming difficult to find, I enjoy wild camping but this scheme will be good for those that don't. I will look in at Peterborough and maybe join. I would have thought it would be better and more interesting than the pub stop club, (for me at least as I park in pub carparks anyway) best of luck to them, though I do think it should have been called Brit Passion:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I see they're offering a further discount to the members of the Dark Side, did they have any input into setting this scheme up?

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Britstops can never work, because unlike French Passion planning permission is required in the UK. Britstop owners replied to my comment on that fact but saying that would be up the the individual to sort out not our problem, so all the people approached to join the scheme have not presumably been informed of the need for planning permission. A badly thought out idea !!!!

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Britstops can never work, because unlike French Passion planning permission is required in the UK. Britstop owners replied to my comment on that fact but saying that would be up the the individual to sort out not our problem, so all the people approached to join the scheme have not presumably been informed of the need for planning permission. A badly thought out idea !!!!

If you are right and the rug is pulled, there are going to be quite a few disappointed people. But it seems to me its already working, they have 75+ locations, hundreds of members, stickers out and books printed.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Why is planning reqd
I'd have thought as non paying invited guests, no rules are being broken
Or are we now banned from inviting guests to our home:Eeek:
It wouldn't supprise me
Geo

OP
OP
M

magbrin

Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
There ARE rules ............... dating back to the 60s if not the 40s! However we have been "inviting" forum members (friends) to park for nothing for a while and are quite happy to invite brit stop friends, too. Strictly, I believe, planning permission is required - but unless there are complaints from neighbours I can't believe anyone will be paid to enforce it. We, for one, are prepared to take the risk:winky:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Why is planning reqd
I'd have thought as non paying invited guests, no rules are being broken
Or are we now banned from inviting guests to our home:Eeek:
It wouldn't supprise me
Geo

Hi Geo

It is because of this

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Licensing of caravan sites[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]1.—(l) Subject to the provisions of this Part of this Act, No[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]occupier of land shall after the commencement of this Act cause [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]or permit any part of the land to be used as a caravan site unless [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]he is the holder of a site licence (that is to say, a licence under this [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Part of this Act authorising the use of land as a caravan site) for[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]the time being in force as respects the land so used.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif](2) If the occupier of any land contravenes subsection (1) of[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]this section he shall be guilty of an offence and liable on summary[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]conviction, in the case of the first offence to a fine not exceeding[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]one hundred pounds, and, in the case of a second or subsequent[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]offence, to [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]a [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]fine [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]not exceeding [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]two [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]hundred and [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]fifty [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]pounds.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]
The exemption you quote is

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]CASES [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]WHERE A SITE LICENCE IS NOT REQUIRED[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Use within curtilage of a dwellinghouse[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]1. A site licence shall not be required for the use of land as a[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]caravan site if the use is incidental to the enjoyment as such of a[/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]dwellinghouse within the curtilage of which the land is situaited.[/FONT]
[/FONT]
It does not cover business premises which would come under this provision​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Use by a person travelling with a caravan for one or two nights[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]2. Subject to the provisions of paragraph 13 of this Schedule, a[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]site licence shall not be required for the use of land as a caravan[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]site by a person travelling with a caravan who brings the caravan[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]on to the land for a period which includes not more than two nights—[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif](a) during that period no other caravan is stationed for the[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]purposes of human habitation on that land or any adjoining[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]land in the same occupation, and[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif](b) if, in the period of twelve months ending with the day on[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]which the caravan is brought on to the land, the number[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]of days on which a caravan was stationed anywhere on that[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]land or the said adjoining land for the purposes of human[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]habitation did not [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]exceed twenty-eight.[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]

[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Caravans staying on Pub Car Parks, in Vinyards, or other locations should be covered by a site licence or an exemption issued by a constituted club. ( Such as MHF ) A site licence requires planning permission, an exemption does not.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Paractical Motorhome Magazine have teamed up with The Motor Caravanners Club to operate the "Night Stop Scheme" under exemptions issued by that club.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Brit Stops and Pub Stops are not using any club, so the owners of sites they list, if they exceed the above limits of ONLY ONE (1) caravan on site and the number of days of use exceeds 28 in a Year, then they need a site licence and planning permission. This is enforced by the Local Planning Authority.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]A private dwelling is not limited "if the use isincidental to the enjoyment as such of a[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]dwellinghouse". [/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Payment of a fee does not come into the argument.[/FONT]

Last edited:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Hi Geo

It is because of this

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Licensing of caravan sites[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]1.—(l) Subject to the provisions of this Part of this Act, No[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]occupier of land shall after the commencement of this Act cause [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]or permit any part of the land to be used as a caravan site unless [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]he is the holder of a site licence (that is to say, a licence under this [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Part of this Act authorising the use of land as a caravan site) for[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]the time being in force as respects the land so used.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif](2) If the occupier of any land contravenes subsection (1) of[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]this section he shall be guilty of an offence and liable on summary[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]conviction, in the case of the first offence to a fine not exceeding[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]one hundred pounds, and, in the case of a second or subsequent[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]offence, to [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]a [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]fine [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]not exceeding [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]two [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]hundred and [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]fifty [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]pounds.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]
The exemption you quote is

[/FONT]
It does not cover business premises which would come under this provision​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Caravans staying on Pub Car Parks, in Vinyards, or other locations should be covered by a site licence or an exemption issued by a constituted club. ( Such as MHF ) A site licence requires planning permission, an exemption does not.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Paractical Motorhome Magazine have teamed up with The Motor Caravanners Club to operate the "Night Stop Scheme" under exemptions issued by that club.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Brit Stops and Pub Stops are not using any club, so the owners of sites they list, if they exceed the above limits of ONLY ONE (1) caravan on site and the number of days of use exceeds 28 in a Year, then they need a site licence and planning permission. This is enforced by the Local Planning Authority.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]A private dwelling is not limited "if the use isincidental to the enjoyment as such of a[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]dwellinghouse". [/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Payment of a fee does not come into the argument.[/FONT]

Thats really helpful, thank you.

I would love to join as Like Jim, I dont want to stay at pub car parks particually. I will look in at Peterborough.
Good luck with it.

For a moment though I thought I was having to ban people from stopping on my driveway:Eeek:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You're just toying with me now Brian....................

Page 6 presumably only exists Oop Norf

:shrug:

Link Removed Brian cant count 5th page down

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Just received the booklet 'Brit Stops 2011' HoweverLink Removed most of the stops appear to be limited to vans of 3.500kgLink Removed

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
How many stops/sites are in the book joncris?

carl65

Free Member
Jul 20, 2009
North Shields Tyne & Wear
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
is it me or what do we pay £20.00 for this or is there a further discount on top or is the opening offer same as it will be at the shows this year ?

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
Hi everybody,

Just checked in with Jim, and I'm very pleased to be here to answer any questions you have about Brit Stops.

To start with, hopefully I can reassure Joncris that owners of bigger motorhomes can get some decent use out of their Brit Stops membership, as 51 out of the 75 hosts will accept large motorhomes. Although there will of course always be some sites that won't be able to accept the Big Boys, I suspect that in this first year, some hosts might be playing safe. As for ease of access to sites, an "attention" symbol at the bottom of the host page gives any important information about access, and if there is no symbol it can be assumed that access is fine. The hosts themselves decide this, and most will have experience of delivery vans coming on site.

To answer carl65, the situation with discounts is that there is currently an extension to the pre-orders discount (to make up for a period when the payments page was down on our website). This gives a price of £20 instead of £25. After April 12th the price will go back to the standard £25. There will also be the same discount at Peterborough, and of course no p&p to pay there.

So anyway, here I am to do my best to answer your questions as best I can either here on the forum, or via pms if you'd prefer.

Steve :Smile:

OP
OP
M

magbrin

Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
From a host

I have just posted this on another site and to confirm that we as hosts were probably playing safe as far as size of vans:cry:

"I think it would be worth contacting the host that says no large motorhomes, if you are interested in a particular site. We state that because of our situation - a partially single track road to get to us and a narrow entrance. It is better for us to (publically) err on the save side. However we do have other options and these could be discussed with individual larger m/h owners, and it may well be that you would be quite welcome -for example we have space in a field as long as it is not too wet, or where we are proposing a CS (until we have the certificate). Certainly we are happy to discuss the situation, and I am sure others would be too. "

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi everybody,

Just checked in with Jim, and I'm very pleased to be here to answer any questions you have about Brit Stops.

To start with, hopefully I can reassure Joncris that owners of bigger motorhomes can get some decent use out of their Brit Stops membership, as 51 out of the 75 hosts will accept large motorhomes. Although there will of course always be some sites that won't be able to accept the Big Boys, I suspect that in this first year, some hosts might be playing safe. As for ease of access to sites, an "attention" symbol at the bottom of the host page gives any important information about access, and if there is no symbol it can be assumed that access is fine. The hosts themselves decide this, and most will have experience of delivery vans coming on site.

To answer carl65, the situation with discounts is that there is currently an extension to the pre-orders discount (to make up for a period when the payments page was down on our website). This gives a price of £20 instead of £25. After April 12th the price will go back to the standard £25. There will also be the same discount at Peterborough, and of course no p&p to pay there.

So anyway, here I am to do my best to answer your questions as best I can either here on the forum, or via pms if you'd prefer.

Steve :Smile:

Hi Steve,

Many thanks for checking in with Jim, and for coming on here to explain, and answer queries re Britstops. :thumb:

For those concerned about access, when site wardens query our size of MH, we always ask if refuse or delivery trucks have to access their sites, When they say "yes" and I then explain that we are smaller than those, they come across as more amiable. :winky:

We are sure that with time and experience of visitors MHs, hosts may in turn be more accommodating with regards to size, length, and access, etc. Many of the Britstop locations are pubs, which are frequented by dray lorries, delivering kegs and casks of ale. Nuff said. :winky:

Best regards,

Jock & Rita

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
sounds great to me

Sounds like a great idea to me. I hope it works well and gets lots of positive support from all :thumb:

What is the number of the stand Britstop? I will try and pop along ::bigsmile:

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
Now if there's one person I am very keen to meet at Peterborough, it's Elvis! :roflmto:

You can find us on stand 83, tucked away in the bottom corner (link to map on front page of our website).

Look forward to meeting you there!

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
Thank you

Now if there's one person I am very keen to meet at Peterborough, it's Elvis! :roflmto:

You can find us on stand 83, tucked away in the bottom corner (link to map on front page of our website).

Look forward to meeting you there!

Thats very nice of you britstop ::bigsmile: I will hope along to see you. I hope lots of Funsters will too :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back